PDA

View Full Version : I changed my mind. I'm staying Republican

Sematary
02-13-2008, 08:36 PM
After long thought I've decided that the best way for me to help bring back my country is to remain a Republican and start working myself into the system where I can change it. Third parties will never stand a chance here. WE must repair the system from within.

Austin
02-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Agreed. I was considering becoming a Libertarian after my primary, but I've decided that I will begin running for Republican offices. For starters, I am going to become a Precinct Committeeman.

billyjoeallen
02-13-2008, 08:38 PM
ditto.

nullvalu
02-13-2008, 08:38 PM
w00t! glad to have you back on board.

Cooter
02-13-2008, 08:39 PM
yep. wish i would have known earlier. i got so po'd i changed from republican to unifiliated last year. i have changed back, but as of now i cant be a deligate. ill be ready for the future though.

Sey.Naci
02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
After long thought I've decided that the best way for me to help bring back my country is to remain a Republican and start working myself into the system where I can change it. Third parties will never stand a chance here. WE must repair the system from within.BRAVO!!!

bcreps85
02-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Great to hear it. It is the only way we will be taken seriously, and if you think about it, it is a twofer.

Republicans already have a power-structure in place. By taking them over, we take that power, and add it to our own. Secondly, it removes those who have proven ineffective and easily bought off from power. We should however in the future try to phase out the significance of party from our political system. It should be about ideas, ideas that strongly support and fall in line with the constitution. If everyone followed the constitution there would be no need for parties.

SovereignMN
02-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Here's a good idea. Continue to work as Repubilcans but vote LP and CP unless the Republican candidate is truly a constitutional candidate.

Cowlesy
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Mr. Larkin -- great to see you back on the board and posting!

Sematary
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Great to hear it. It is the only way we will be taken seriously, and if you think about it, it is a twofer.

Republicans already have a power-structure in place. By taking them over, we take that power, and add it to our own. Secondly, it removes those who have proven ineffective and easily bought off from power. We should however in the future try to phase out the significance of party from our political system. It should be about ideas, ideas that strongly support and fall in line with the constitution. If everyone followed the constitution there would be no need for parties.

I have to be honest, political parties will never go away and if I had one change I would make to our system of government, it would be to go to a parliamentary system so that groups such as ours would at least be represented in government.
But, this is what we have to work with, so I'm going to work with it.

Sematary
02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Here's a good idea. Continue to work as Repubilcans but vote LP and CP unless the Republican candidate is truly a constitutional candidate.

I'll never vote for a person unless they agree with my political principles.

CJLauderdale4
02-13-2008, 08:53 PM

Great strategy!!
We meetups in Broward County, FL are putting together a strategy to takeover the county GOP.

We all need to transform the RP meetups into Republican Party takeover meetups. Of course, don't call them that ....

Get all of the meetup members to attend the executive meetings and vote in RP supporters to lead the committees...

yongrel
02-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Good move. You're an asset to the movement.

amy31416
02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Strangely enough, I'll also be staying a Republican. I was raised by a Rush Limbaugh-listening, Clinton-loathing neocon and had the early impression that the GOP was just a bunch of racist, close-minded, war-mongering SOB's.

I just can't believe that I found an anti-war freedom guy in this party, and that that's how they're supposed to be. :cool:

I was an Independent for years, because I didn't really like any party at all, but I loathed what I thought the GOP stood for. If my dad were alive today, he'd be truly shocked, we had many a political debate.

Sematary
02-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Strangely enough, I'll also be staying a Republican. I was raised by a Rush Limbaugh-listening, Clinton-loathing neocon and had the early impression that the GOP was just a bunch of racist, close-minded, war-mongering SOB's.

I just can't believe that I found an anti-war freedom guy in this party, and that that's how they're supposed to be. :cool:

I was an Independent for years, because I didn't really like any party at all, but I loathed what I thought the GOP stood for. If my dad were alive today, he'd be truly shocked, we had many a political debate.

Welcome to the revolution.

colecrowe
02-13-2008, 09:08 PM

me3
02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
After long thought I've decided that the best way for me to help bring back my country is to remain a Republican and start working myself into the system where I can change it. Third parties will never stand a chance here. WE must repair the system from within.
That is excellent to hear Bob.

Agreed. I was considering becoming a Libertarian after my primary, but I've decided that I will begin running for Republican offices. For starters, I am going to become a Precinct Committeeman.
And this also makes me very happy.

You guys get it! :D

You can and will make a difference.

Akus
02-13-2008, 09:21 PM

I would be all for mass exodus to any third party, with an exception of a Nazi party, obviously,:D if they actually had their shit together. Most of them don't. They're too broken apart with all the high school "I am a true Libertarian/No I am/No I am/No you're not" bullshit inside them

nate895
02-13-2008, 09:26 PM

You're going to the winner take all, 27 delegate caucus/convention process too, right.

silverhandorder
02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
When I am old enough I am running for congress.

torchbearer
02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
me too, i gave up a position on the louisiana libertarian party of louisiana, but ron has the right idea... we need to take down the matrix from the inside.

nate895
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
me too, i gave up a position on the louisiana libertarian party of louisiana, but ron has the right idea... we need to take down the matrix from the inside.

The Louisiana Libertarian Party of Louisiana, is that similar to American Dodgeball Association of America?

:D

torchbearer
02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
The Louisiana Libertarian Party of Louisiana, is that similar to American Dodgeball Association of America?

oops. ment libertarian party of louisiana.
thats the official title.
i started to call it louisiana libertarian party....well, i did call it that and the other together. :p

nbhadja
02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Take back the Republican Party and then make sure this every political party in this country gets an equal chance to compete.

colecrowe
02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
But now, because criminals murdered thousands of people on September 11, 2001, many are eager to abandon their Constitutional protections.

Have we become a nation of sniveling cowards? If not, please explain how it is that Congress has either bowed to or exploited this fear to become a gang of lawbreakers?

Yesterday, 68 Senators violated their oaths of office. They voted to pass S. 2248, a new law designed to replace the so-called "Protect America Act." This bill violates the Bill of Rights . . .

* It permits the President to spy on Americans without a warrant.

* It grants retroactive immunity to tele-communications companies that collaborated with the Bush administration in previous warrantless spying, thereby creating an incentive for other companies to engage in similar crimes in the future (only Qwest Communications insisted on warrants).

Will this new, un-constitutional power, prevent future terrorist attacks? Of course not, nothing can do that, just as there is no law or power that could completely stop murders by domestic criminals.

Does this new law create a tyranny? That would be an exaggeration. But what will happen when the next terrorist attack comes?

The sniveling cowards among us, and the lawbreakers in Congress, will then seek still more powers.

At one point will our children call this tyranny? Will there be any turning back?

Yesterday, 19 Democrats, 48 Republicans, and 1 independent voted to violate the Constitution and their oaths of office. Only 28 Democrats, 1 independent, and ZERO Republicans remained true to their oaths. The Republicans were universally bad.

But please notice that the law could not have passed without the vote of the Democrats!

Let this be clear -- neither political party is going to protect our Constitution, unless WE compel them to do it.

All hope is NOT lost. S. 2248 cannot become law unless the House agrees to its provisions. Fortunately, the House version of this bill, while not perfect, is signficantly better. Our best hope, and we must take it, is to tell the House to stick by their version of the bill.

A list of how the Senate voted is pasted below. Criticize your Senator if he or she voted for it. Ask your House member to reject the provisions of S. 2248.

How the Senate voted . . .

[R, SC] Sen. Lindsey Graham Abstain
[R, WY] Sen. John Barrasso Aye
[R, WY] Sen. Michael Enzi Aye
[R, VA] Sen. John Warner Aye
[R, UT] Sen. Robert Bennett Aye
[R, UT] Sen. Orrin Hatch Aye
[R, TX] Sen. John Cornyn Aye
[R, TX] Sen. Kay Hutchison Aye
[R, TN] Sen. Lamar Alexander Aye
[R, TN] Sen. Bob Corker Aye
[R, SD] Sen. John Thune Aye
[R, SC] Sen. Jim DeMint Aye
[R, PA] Sen. Arlen Specter Aye
[R, OR] Sen. Gordon Smith Aye
[R, OK] Sen. Thomas Coburn Aye
[R, OK] Sen. James Inhofe Aye
[R, OH] Sen. George Voinovich Aye
[R, NV] Sen. John Ensign Aye
[R, NM] Sen. Pete Domenici Aye
[R, NH] Sen. Judd Gregg Aye
[R, NH] Sen. John Sununu Aye
[R, NE] Sen. Charles Hagel Aye
[R, NC] Sen. Richard Burr Aye
[R, NC] Sen. Elizabeth Dole Aye
[R, MS-1] Rep. Roger Wicker Aye
[R, MS] Sen. Thad Cochran Aye
[R, MO] Sen. Christopher Bond Aye
[R, MN] Sen. Norm Coleman Aye
[R, ME] Sen. Susan Collins Aye
[R, ME] Sen. Olympia Snowe Aye
[R, LA] Sen. David Vitter Aye
[R, KY] Sen. Jim Bunning Aye
[R, KY] Sen. Mitch McConnell Aye
[R, KS] Sen. Samuel Brownback Aye
[R, KS] Sen. Pat Roberts Aye
[R, IN] Sen. Richard Lugar Aye
[R, ID] Sen. Larry Craig Aye
[R, ID] Sen. Michael Crapo Aye
[R, IA] Sen. Charles Grassley Aye
[R, GA] Sen. C. Saxby Chambliss Aye
[R, GA] Sen. John Isakson Aye
[R, FL] Sen. Mel Martinez Aye
[R, CO] Sen. Wayne Allard Aye
[R, AZ] Sen. Jon Kyl Aye
[R, AZ] Sen. John McCain Aye
[R, AL] Sen. Jefferson Sessions Aye
[R, AL] Sen. Richard Shelby Aye
[R, AK] Sen. Lisa Murkowski Aye
[R, AK] Sen. Ted Stevens Aye

[D, NY] Sen. Hillary Clinton Abstain
[D, IL] Sen. Barack Obama Abstain
[D, WV] Sen. John Rockefeller Aye
[D, WI] Sen. Herbert Kohl Aye
[D, VA] Sen. Jim Webb Aye
[D, SD] Sen. Tim Johnson Aye
[D, RI] Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse Aye
[D, PA] Sen. Robert Casey Aye
[D, NE] Sen. Ben Nelson Aye
[D, ND] Sen. Kent Conrad Aye
[D, MT] Sen. Max Baucus Aye
[D, MO] Sen. Claire McCaskill Aye
[D, MD] Sen. Barbara Mikulski Aye
[D, LA] Sen. Mary Landrieu Aye
[D, IN] Sen. B. Evan Bayh Aye
[D, HI] Sen. Daniel Inouye Aye
[D, FL] Sen. Bill Nelson Aye
[D, DE] Sen. Thomas Carper Aye
[D, CO] Sen. Ken Salazar Aye
[D, AR] Sen. Blanche Lincoln Aye
[D, AR] Sen. Mark Pryor Aye
[D, WV] Sen. Robert Byrd Nay
[D, WI] Sen. Russell Feingold Nay
[D, WA] Sen. Maria Cantwell Nay
[D, WA] Sen. Patty Murray Nay
[D, VT] Sen. Patrick Leahy Nay
[D, RI] Sen. John Reed Nay
[D, OR] Sen. Ron Wyden Nay
[D, OH] Sen. Sherrod Brown Nay
[D, NY] Sen. Charles Schumer Nay
[D, NV] Sen. Harry Reid Nay
[D, NM] Sen. Jeff Bingaman Nay
[D, NJ] Sen. Frank Lautenberg Nay
[D, NJ] Sen. Robert Menendez Nay
[D, ND] Sen. Byron Dorgan Nay
[D, MT] Sen. Jon Tester Nay
[D, MN] Sen. Amy Klobuchar Nay
[D, MI] Sen. Carl Levin Nay
[D, MI] Sen. Debbie Ann Stabenow Nay
[D, MD] Sen. Benjamin Cardin Nay
[D, MA] Sen. Edward Kennedy Nay
[D, MA] Sen. John Kerry Nay
[D, IL] Sen. Richard Durbin Nay
[D, IA] Sen. Thomas Harkin Nay
[D, HI] Sen. Daniel Akaka Nay
[D, DE] Sen. Joseph Biden Nay
[D, CT] Sen. Christopher Dodd Nay
[D, CA] Sen. Barbara Boxer Nay
[D, CA] Sen. Dianne Feinstein Nay

[I, CT] Sen. Joseph Lieberman Aye
[I, VT] Sen. Bernard Sanders Nay

grizzums
02-13-2008, 10:34 PM
I have decided to stay in republican party too, but only because of paul.

It doesn't really mean much though. I will no longer donate any money to the party... I will not put party above country or true conservative principles... At this point I would only vote for a handful of republican candidates and wouldn't hesitate one bit to cast a protest vote for ygr dims if no respectable write in candidate. So, yeah, ill stay in party, but what the hell does that really mean? For me, not much. I'm a delegate for paul and will cast votes in favor of changing part platform, beyond that, ill remain an independent thinker that does not toe the current republican party line one ioda.

mczerone
02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Take back the Republican Party and then make sure this every political party in this country gets an equal chance to compete.

No - make sure that every candidate gets equal treatment, and that a voluntary association with a 'party' organization serves to share resources among like-minded candidates and identify candidates' values, the money to run said organization comes from the candidates' campaign funds, not from the government or voters at large.

Political parties can serve a useful purpose, but they over-stepped those bounds by about 1820.

This is part of an amendment I would like see passed. Along with an abolishment of term-limits, and a change from a party primary presidential election system to a rank and runoff system. A whole election law overhaul, is needed, really.

nate895
02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
No - make sure that every candidate gets equal treatment, and that a voluntary association with a 'party' organization serves to share resources among like-minded candidates and identify candidates' values, the money to run said organization comes from the candidates' campaign funds, not from the government or voters at large.

Political parties can serve a useful purpose, but they over-stepped those bounds by about 1820.

This is part of an amendment I would like see passed. Along with an abolishment of term-limits, and a change from a party primary presidential election system to a rank and runoff system. A whole election law overhaul, is needed, really.

If you're looking to avoid Primaries, move to Louisiana, they have run offs when someone doesn't get 50% of the vote.

Fields
02-13-2008, 11:10 PM

+1

cazeringue
02-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Great! What I think is even more important is being involved locally. It really doesn't matter what party you are in if you Speak, Breathe, Live and Become Ambassadors of the U.S. Consitution.

ronpaulhawaii
02-13-2008, 11:15 PM
:cool:

+2008

jrich4rpaul
02-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Welcome to the Revolution! Good to see you understand the message. :)

kill the banks
02-13-2008, 11:43 PM
it is the only logical solution in the system

kill the banks

sandersondavis
02-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm changing my registration back to Libertarian tomorrow. I will continue to support Dr. Ron Paul and his message.

I just can't abide the McCain bandwagon and there is no way in hell I'll vote for that little Napoleon.

jrich4rpaul
02-14-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm changing my registration back to Libertarian tomorrow. I will continue to support Dr. Ron Paul and his message.

I just can't abide the McCain bandwagon and there is no way in hell I'll vote for that little Napoleon.

Just because you're registered Republican doesn't mean you support McCain

Revolution9
02-14-2008, 12:01 AM

Great.. if yer gonna play chess no sense introducing a third set of board pieces.. The game won't go anywhere with the third set as they fall outside of the boards rules.

best regards
Randy

axiomata
02-14-2008, 01:37 AM

Flip flopper.

Just kidding; ;)

When the GOP loses this election, they will be searching for new ideas and new leaders, a void which we will gladly fill.

nayjevin
02-14-2008, 05:06 AM
I changed my mind. I'm staying Republican

excellent!

the bulk of our movement will be with you, i'm sure.

Mordan
02-14-2008, 06:11 AM

how do you make sure the power you will grab in the future won't corrupt you? How will you follow Ron Paul's notion about Power?

expatinireland
02-14-2008, 06:50 AM
I could never be a Republican but in name only for voting purposes.

As a fiscal conservative I had at one time felt that the Republican party would be the natural place for me. That feeling was squashed once I actually got involved with the party. I quickly realised that I was and always would be an outsider in this seemingly theocratic organisation overwhelmingly dominated by wear it on your sleeve Christians.

If a group coalesces from this movement intent on starting a new party that is where I will head. This is not to say however that I won't support individuals running for office as Ron Paul Republicans or Democrats.

amy31416
02-14-2008, 07:21 AM

I think it's more like The Department of Redundancy Department.....[/Rimshot]

GoDrNo
02-14-2008, 07:51 AM
how do you make sure the power you will grab in the future won't corrupt you? How will you follow Ron Paul's notion about Power?

This has what to do with staying Republican or leaving the party?

werdd
02-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Right, the best bet is to work from within, and take back the ship.

literatim
02-14-2008, 08:35 AM
This has what to do with staying Republican or leaving the party?

He obviously believes a political party is some magical entity.

02-14-2008, 08:36 AM

+1,000,000,000,000

I too briefly considered the LP at one point despite being a lifelong Republican, but it's just not feasible.

Sematary
02-14-2008, 08:38 AM
He obviously believes a political party is some magical entity.

I believe that the party system is flawed and completely sucks but that we are stuck with it and if we are to truly effect change then we have to work within the system. Either that, or we will end up in a bloody revolution once again.

ronpaulhawaii
02-14-2008, 09:49 AM
I believe that the party system is flawed and completely sucks but that we are stuck with it and if we are to truly effect change then we have to work within the system...

+1

Bob, have you looked at the Republican Liberty Caucus (http://www.republicanlibertycaucus.com/)? I have not joined yet. It does seem to show promise, on the surface, as an existing doorway into the GOP. While it looks far from perfect, as is, it is more in-line with my way of thinking than any other GOP wing I have found. What is really attractive is that it is pre-existing. If enough of us joined, we could then adjust the platform as we see fit.

Plus, it would scare the bejeezus out of the establishment if ~100k ppl, suddenly joined the liberty wing of the GOP - LOL

kmj.ronpaul
02-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Question: Are you allowed to be a registered Republican and a registered Libertarian at the same time? I know that Dr. Paul ran for president as a Libertarian, and I vaguely recall hearing that he had a lifetime membership to the Libertarian Party.

I just joined the LP, and am thinking of joining the RP, too. Is there any problem with this?

kmj.ronpaul
02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Anyone have an answer to my question in my previous post?

billjarrett
02-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Anyone have an answer to my question in my previous post?

I think it depends on your state. Here in Illinois we don't have to register for anything.