PDA

View Full Version : RON PAUL and Rolling Thunder!!!

Myerz
02-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Rolling Thunder.....thousands of memebers, are having a huge rally in Washington DC on Memorial Day. The president of Rolling Thunder is a huge Ron Paul supporter.
Ron should join up with Rolling Thunder and really show DC wazzz up!

http://www.rollingthunder1.com/index.html

Myerz
02-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Did anyone hear about this.....or even care?

And having a significant rally on July 4th will be almost impossible.....all the good spots are already taken. And Ron Paul said it himself that a march is probably out of the question because of the restrictions and the coordination.

SophisticatedFarmGirl
02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I wonder if HQ's knows already?

QCB79
02-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Yeh, Rolling thunder is great...they draw a ton of attention with a few hundred harleys rolling through DC for the run to the nam memorial wall every year..not only that at least 50% are vets...so much for the vets supporting McCrackhead

Publius Freeman
02-14-2008, 03:03 AM
Rolling Thunder Rocks MrCain!

(We'll know soon what HQ decides...)

RP2008!

nayjevin
02-14-2008, 05:07 AM
this is one of those tiny bits of information that settles a huge debate with one fell swoop.

RP + Rolling Thunder + Memorial Day = No Brainer

Fields
02-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Someone needs to contact the head guy and see what he says.

lynnf
02-14-2008, 06:15 AM
Rolling Thunder.....thousands of memebers, are having a huge rally in Washington DC on Memorial Day. The president of Rolling Thunder is a huge Ron Paul supporter.
Ron should join up with Rolling Thunder and really show DC wazzz up!

http://www.rollingthunder1.com/index.html

someone mentioned this on, I think it was the Alex Jones show, that the
Ron Paul "march" on Washington should be on Memorial Day with Rolling Thunder.
seems like a good idea to me.

lynn

jason43
02-14-2008, 06:29 AM
I would contact Rolling Thunder before we co-opt their event. It is an event meant to riase awareness for the POW/MIA issue, not a political rally. If we came, we would have to be VERY respectful of the original reason that people are there, and many come to pay respect to their fallen friends at the Nam memorial. I went last year and it was awesome, I will probably be there this year as well.

That said, Paul has been very supportive of the POW issue and has sponsored legislation that helps their cause. Setting up an information booth, especially if it is manned by veterans, would be awesome. I would even be willing to take part if given the chance, and there are some other guys in the Vets for Paul meetup that live in the NOVA/DC area that would come out.

haaaylee
02-14-2008, 06:34 AM
I would contact Rolling Thunder before we co-opt their event. It is an event meant to riase awareness for the POW/MIA issue, not a political rally. If we came, we would have to be VERY respectful of the original reason that people are there, and many come to pay respect to their fallen friends at the Nam memorial. I went last year and it was awesome, I will probably be there this year as well.

That said, Paul has been very supportive of the POW issue and has sponsored legislation that helps their cause. Setting up an information booth, especially if it is manned by veterans, would be awesome. I would even be willing to take part if given the chance, and there are some other guys in the Vets for Paul meetup that live in the NOVA/DC area that would come out.

This could be a great chance to call attention to Ron Paul's sponsored legislation , his military support, and get at mccain at the same time. I think the two could easily be put together. And this would help guarantee that there wouldn't be that feared "only a couple thousand" that Ron mentioned on Alex Jones as be embarrassing.

scooter
02-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Yeh, Rolling thunder is great...they draw a ton of attention with a few hundred harleys rolling through DC for the run to the nam memorial wall every year..not only that at least 50% are vets...so much for the vets supporting McCrackhead

Not a few hundred... there are typically over 500,000 motorcycles riding through Washington D.C. for Rolling Thunder. I ride my bike from Indiana to Washington every year for this rally.

It would be great for me if Ron Paul did his at the same time because I'd already be there, but know this, Rolling Thunder would probably steal any thunder that RP's gathering would have. There are literally hundreds of thousands of bikers and their families down there that weekend.

Now if the Ron Paul march could be on Saturday, the day before the Rolling Thunder parade, that would be an awesome weekend.

kathy88
02-14-2008, 06:47 AM
YES YES YES

Anywhere large amounts of bikes shows up makes a huge impact.

*and it sounds SO cool*

jason43
02-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Now if the Ron Paul march could be on Saturday, the day before the Rolling Thunder parade, that would be an awesome weekend.

That is a MUCH better idea!

Do it the day before, then come to the rally and talk to people at the Rally too.

Indiana to DC?!? Thats a hell of a ride. I am a relatively new rider, rode up there from about an hour south and the highway scared the crap out of me (no one pays attention to bikers)... well that, and I had never driven on the freeway before. It is a blast though. How about the Marine that holds the salute the whole time the bikes are going by. That guy has arms of steel.

Myerz
02-14-2008, 07:06 AM

Ron Paul said it himself, he didn't want this to be about him but about Freedom. He felt there would be more media exposure if it were about freedom. He felt with all the media coverage he's been getting that he might overshadow the message! lol!

There was mention that the leader of Rolling Thunder has introduced Ron at previous rallies. ???

jason43
02-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Ron Paul said it himself, he didn't want this to be about him but about Freedom. He felt there would be more media exposure if it were about freedom. He felt with all the media coverage he's been getting that he might overshadow the message! lol!

There was mention that the leader of Rolling Thunder has introduced Ron at previous rallies. ???

Yes, I just worry about a negative reaction because of the memorial nature of the event. It is a very sensitive issue for people who come there to pay respect to dead friends and so on. Vets are like any other group of people, there are many that are against the war, and many that are for it... I just don't want any confrontation there because sometimes supporters let emotions get the best of them. Negative press because someone had a confrontation with some Nam vets over us being against the war would make bad press for us.

The keys would be to press the issues that RP is FOR, as in for returning POWs, creating options for veterans health care, and so on. I don't want to start this argument again on here, but talking about 9/11, bashing the war on emotional grounds instead of presenting constitutional arguments, and so on would be counter productive and distort the message. That is one of the reasons that I think it would be great to get other Vets to man a display if we have one and talk about veterans issues.

This is all just me thinking aloud.

Coola
02-14-2008, 07:15 AM
god please yes

jason43
02-14-2008, 07:16 AM
And yes, one of the founders of Rolling Thunder endorced Paul and introduced him at the Vets Day Philly Rally. I was at that one.

phree
02-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Any worries about conflicting agendas can be worked out through a dialog with Rolling Thunder.

scooter
02-14-2008, 07:57 AM
That is a MUCH better idea!

Do it the day before, then come to the rally and talk to people at the Rally too.

Indiana to DC?!? Thats a hell of a ride. I am a relatively new rider, rode up there from about an hour south and the highway scared the crap out of me (no one pays attention to bikers)... well that, and I had never driven on the freeway before. It is a blast though. How about the Marine that holds the salute the whole time the bikes are going by. That guy has arms of steel.

Once you get more comfortable, taking the really long rides is the best part about owning a bike. It takes about 10 hours to go from where I live to DC, but at a total cost of around $35.

Last year when I went by the Marine he looked like he was about to fall over. It was one of those extremely hot days.

If planning a Memorial weekend rally, I think Sunday and Monday are both out of the question. Monday already has too many things going on and Sunday is taken up by the motorcycle rally. There are so many bikes that it takes several hours for the parade to just go around a few blocks downtown.

Now, the day before the parade is pretty quiet downtown. Most of the many thousands of bikers are in DC for the entire weekend, but there aren't any "scheduled" activities on Saturday. Everyone just spends the day sightseeing and hanging out. So there will be tons of people down there, but also plenty of room to have an event if one is desired.

New York For Paul
02-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Someone needs to contact former North Carolina Congressman Hendon and get him to speak with Ron Paul at Rolling Thunder.

This is Hendon's book which is has been widely read by rolling thunder types.

http://www.amazon.com/Enormous-Crime-Definitive-Abandoned-Southeast/dp/0312371268/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202998979&sr=1-2

jason43
02-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Any worries about conflicting agendas can be worked out through a dialog with Rolling Thunder.

Thats what I was getting at. Its just something that needs to be in the discussion.