PDA

View Full Version : McCain Votes Against Waterboarding Ban

Tina
02-13-2008, 07:59 PM
No surprise here.

John McCain: He was against waterboarding before he was for it.

Today, the Senate brought the Intelligence Authorization Bill to the floor, containing a provision from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) that establishes one interrogation standard, requiring the intelligence community to abide by the same standards as articulated in the Army Field Manual and banning waterboarding.

Just hours ago, the Senate voted in favor of the bill, 51-45.

Earlier today, ThinkProgress noted that Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), a former prisoner of war, has spoken strongly in favor of implementing the Army Field Manual standard. When confronted today with the decision of whether to stick with his conscience or cave to the right wing, McCain chose to ditch his principles and instead vote to preserve waterboarding:

Mr. McCain, a former prisoner of war, has consistently voiced opposition to waterboarding and other methods that critics say is a form torture. But the Republicans, confident of a White House veto, did not mount the challenge. Mr. McCain voted "no" on Wednesday afternoon.

The New York Times notes that "the White House has long said Mr. Bush will veto the bill, saying it 'would prevent the president from taking the lawful actions necessary to protect Americans from attack in wartime.'"

After Bush vetoes the bill, McCain will again be confronted with a vote to either stand with President Bush or stand against torture. He indicated with his vote today where he will come down on that issue.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/02/13/mccain-waterboarding-fail/

klamath
02-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Yep. The only thing I respected him on was his stand against torture. Now I really hate him!

HPS
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
That does it. You're right: He took his ONE redeeming quality and flushed it right down the toilet.

theseus51
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Still riding strong on the flip-flop express.

Cowlesy
02-13-2008, 08:23 PM
He's such a scumbag.

I know he'll never be elected President, but I can't wait until he's exposed for the fraud he is.

RSLudlum
02-13-2008, 08:35 PM
So i guess the 'songbird' has some kinda personal proof that torture works????