PDA

View Full Version : Anti-war Republican congressman loses Maryland primary

cindy25
02-13-2008, 06:30 PM
just more proof that the Republican party is hopeless.

Anti-war Republican loses primary in Md.

2 Long-Term Congressmen Lose Primaries in Maryland, Including Anti-War Republican

KRISTEN WYATT
AP News

Feb 13, 2008 01:46 EST

A longtime congressman who voted for the Iraq war but later said he regretted the decision was defeated Tuesday by a well-funded Republican state senator.

Rep. Wayne Gilchrest was narrowly defeated by state Sen. Andy Harris, who called the incumbent too liberal for Maryland's 1st Congressional District, which includes the state's Eastern Shore and parts of the Baltimore suburbs.

With 74 percent of precincts reporting, Harris had 19,794 votes, or 41 percent. Gilchrest had 16,776, or 35 percent, and state Sen. E.J. Pipkin, had 10,163, or 19 percent.

"The voters of the 1st District apparently embraced my conservative message," Harris told supporters shortly after midnight Wednesday.

Gilchrest has criticized Bush's handling of the war and was one of two Republicans to vote last year for a withdrawal timeline. His criticisms of the Bush administration's conduct of the war chafed many Republicans in the district.

Harris vowed after declaring victory that he would hang on to the majority-Democrat district.

"This is a race that a Republican is going to win," he said early Wednesday.

Gilchrest has faced stiff primary challenges before, but he called this year's race his most intense. "I need to take some time to determine my feelings, to digest this. We'll take that time," he said after his defeat.

Gilchrest and Democratic Rep. Albert Wynn, of Maryland's 4th Congressional District, became the first incumbents to fall this primary season, though only one other state, Illinois, has included congressional races with its presidential primary elections so far.

Gilchrest was up against the challengers in a race that even some politicians said they were getting a little tired of. The campaign started last summer, just a few months after Gilchrest took office for his ninth term. Pipkin joined the race in the fall.

Republican candidates picked on one another in television ads, radio spots and in mailers.

The intense campaign in the 1st District has raised questions whether the Republican nominee will be bloodied when facing a Democratic challenger in the fall.

Also Tuesday, Donna Edwards knocked off Wynn, an eight-term incumbent, in suburban Washington.

With 58 percent of precincts reporting, Edwards had 36,010 votes, or 59 percent. Wynn had 22,148, or 36 percent.

Edwards seized on voter dissatisfaction with Wynn's votes in Congress tied to Iraq and the housing crisis, giving her a win in her second bid to unseat Wynn. In 2006, Edwards lost by just three percentage points.

Wynn called Edwards early Wednesday to concede the race, Edwards said.

"There was a resounding cry and call for change in this congressional district," Edwards said following her victory.

Voters braved snow, rain, ice and sleet to cast their votes. The foul weather caused the state elections board to extend voting for 90 minutes to allow people stuck in evening rush-hour traffic to get to the polls.

___

Associated Press writer Stephen Manning in Baltimore contributed to this report.

Source: AP News

Give me liberty
02-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Dam warmongers.

Bradley in DC
02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
I think his more big government spending and tax record was the bigger issue.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm glad this man lost. Kick the bum incumbants out of office. Has anyone looked at Gilchrist's voting record? It's a terrible big government, PRO-State voting record. For crying out loud the man voted FOR the Iraq war and continues to vote yes to fund the operation. Who cares if he regrets it now, the fact is he continues to vote YES for funding. Kick his ass out. The man is your typical washed up politician who is apart of the problem. If you don't believe me check out his voting record:

http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=26886

Richie
02-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Thank goodness Gilchrest lost. He was establishment in it's purest form.