PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Goals

Maltheus
02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
So I've seen an e-mail from Ron saying that our chances, at a brokered convention, are pretty much zero and that he'll never go third party again, but that we need to push on. Yesterday, I watched his video calling for a march on Washington. My question is, does he have any clearly delineated goals in mind now that the presidency no longer seems to be one of them?

I know there's this vague notion of transforming the Republican party. How? By making them eventually see the light or by overrunning it? Or are we just trying to get them to adopt some conservative resolutions into the platform? Or is this more about the next election? Or are we just doing our best to stay in, hoping that McCain implodes? Is he just keeping his options open? Everyone seems to have their pet theories, but does anyone know if Dr. Paul has any specific plans for this movement?

billjarrett
02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
So I've seen an e-mail from Ron saying that our chances, at a brokered convention, are pretty much zero and that he'll never go third party again, but that we need to push on. Yesterday, I watched his video calling for a march on Washington. My question is, does he have any clearly delineated goals in mind now that the presidency no longer seems to be one of them?

To make this even more odd, when all the "Vote for Huck to make a brokered convention" posts were around, HQ let us know that our goal was the nomination and not a brokered convention. And to vote for Paul because we needed every delegate we can get.

WilliamC
02-13-2008, 04:07 PM
The goal has always been, and remains, to get the United States to return to a more Constitutional form of Government where the freedoms and liberty that allowed us to become the most powerful, prosperous nation on Earth are restored.

Ron Paul, even if elected President, cannot do this alone. It will require many 10's if not 100's of thousands of dedicated individuals working both together and in parallel on many different fronts to accomplish.

If you have not done so please watch this video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6015291679758430958). It is an excellent synopsis of what our current situation is and what needs to be done.

There is not and cannot be a top-down movement to accomplish this goal, it must be bottom-up and diversified or it will be co-opted.

Find out what you can do to maximize your effectiveness, and do it.

WilliamC
02-13-2008, 04:08 PM
To make this even more odd, when all the "Vote for Huck to make a brokered convention" posts were around, HQ let us know that our goal was the nomination and not a brokered convention. And to vote for Paul because we needed every delegate we can get.

The vote for Huckabee threads were started by people trying to take momentum away from Ron Paul.

Huckabee is part of the problem, not part of the solution, although he is at least starting to adopt some of the Constitutional issues into his rhetoric.

But his record speaks for itself.

billjarrett
02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
The vote for Huckabee threads were started by people trying to take momentum away from Ron Paul.

Huckabee is part of the problem, not part of the solution, although he is at least starting to adopt some of the Constitutional issues into his rhetoric.

But his record speaks for itself.

I wasn't standing up for either viewpoint, not that you were saying I was, but I guess my original post could be read that way.

Actually, with the information from HQ I'm confused and not sure what to make of it, but Ron Paul has my unwavering support.

1. We are still trying to win the nomination
2. We are still trying to win by getting the maximum number of delegates possible
3. A brokered convention has little chance of happening, and we should not be trying to underhand the vote to make it happen
4. We are marching on DC near the end or after the primaries, but before the convention

Did I miss any points? I think this is pretty much what we've been told of the "goals" from HQ and I've tried to leave any of my own opinion out.

LibertyEagle
02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Anyone interested in the threads about brokered conventions, can find them in the National Convention subforum, here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=239

Banana
02-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Regarding the OP,

Remember that if you are a delegate to state convention and even national convention, you have a chance to pass motions and form committee to carry out Paul's message and help pave the road for future RP Republicans.

Enough delegates, we can say Paul wins even without the nomination, especially if we can make national platform adopt Paul's message, regardless who is the nominee. :D

Maltheus
02-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Regarding the OP,

Remember that if you are a delegate to state convention and even national convention, you have a chance to pass motions and form committee to carry out Paul's message and help pave the road for future RP Republicans.

Enough delegates, we can say Paul wins even without the nomination, especially if we can make national platform adopt Paul's message, regardless who is the nominee. :D

Yeah, I managed to get a state delegate slot for my precinct (along with country, congressional and judicial) although given how late everything was running, I only had time to introduce one of my resolutions. It was about phasing out the federal reserve and introducing competing currencies and it passed unanimously to my surprise.

But resolutions aren't going to mean anything to people who don't even respect the constitution. The GOP platform is pretty close to Paul's positions on paper, but that hasn't meant much to them. And quite frankly, I don't want the GOP to take the message that all these new members are here because of McCain. In fact, I plan to change my registration the day after the national convention to help make a point. The best message we could send to the GOP, at this point, would be to let them wither even further than they already have. We offered our support to help build the party and received nothing but derision in return.

Oh well, I guess it is what it is. I was just hoping for a little more. I guess I was hoping for a way to include the throngs of non-Republicans out there who are attracted to Paul. Getting them to become Republicans is harder than getting Paul elected, IMO.

Banana
02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
That's great you got a resolution passed. You're right, it'll have to be more than just resolution, which was why I spoke about putting RP Republicans on the rules committee to modify the rules to make it more grassroot-oriented. There's more, but this is just an example.

I also have to find out whether it is possible to make any resolutions binding on the elected officials, which I would definitely want to push, so this way it won't matter who got elected; they're bound to the platform.

Bossobass
02-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Congressman Paul realizes that the single best weapon against the bogus election results, media blackout and 'He has no real support' claims is for an ocean of supporters to show up in DC to prove them wrong in a venue that cannot be ignored.

This would give him the opportunity to deliver his message with the credibility it deserves.

The more delegates Ron has, the better the chances for him to be able to address the Republican convention, which all of America will be tuned in to watch.

The plan is to give him a huge crowd to speak to about the things America needs to hear that no other candidate will ever speak of in DC, get out the vote in every remaining state the best we can and tune in to the Republican convention where he'll give a speech that will not soon be forgotten.

To which I say, you can count on me.

Bosso

WilliamC
02-13-2008, 07:43 PM
I wasn't standing up for either viewpoint, not that you were saying I was, but I guess my original post could be read that way.

Actually, with the information from HQ I'm confused and not sure what to make of it, but Ron Paul has my unwavering support.

1. We are still trying to win the nomination
2. We are still trying to win by getting the maximum number of delegates possible
3. A brokered convention has little chance of happening, and we should not be trying to underhand the vote to make it happen
4. We are marching on DC near the end or after the primaries, but before the convention

Did I miss any points? I think this is pretty much what we've been told of the "goals" from HQ and I've tried to leave any of my own opinion out.

The campaign to get Ron Paul is but a part of the much larger fight to restore the Constitution to being the supreme law of the United States and getting all Federal officials to obey it first and foremost.

While I see the chances of Ron Paul getting elected as being very small, the campaign is right now the best vehicle we have for spreading the message of individual rights and freedom from collectivism, or those who seek power to force their views on all of us.

This will be a never ending struggle since the desire for power over ones fellow man is part of human nature itself.

Our jobs are to seek power but always resist the temptations that come with it by using the power only to protect peaceful individuals and never to promote groups at the expense of peaceful individuals.