PDA

View Full Version : Are you a student interested in advancing freedom? Get involved with I.H.S.!

crazyfingers
02-13-2008, 03:38 PM
I’ve never seen this discussed on these forums, so I thought I’d throw it out there. The Institute for Humane Studies (http://www.theihs.org/) is an organization that assists students interested in liberty by offering scholarships, grants, internships, and free summer seminars (essay contests as well, I believe). AFAIK they work with high school, college, and graduate students.

My involvement is limited to attending one of their free summer seminars at Georgetown University years ago, but it was quite an experience. Unfortunately I was young (and stupid) and let the opportunity pass me by without persuing it further. So I’d recommend anyone who is still in school give this organization serious consideration – these people are doing a great thing and it deserves our participation.

The infrastructure to take this movement to unparalleled lengths is already out there, we just need to take advantage! Please keep this bumped so that the more people can hear about this. Thanks.

crazyfingers
02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Shameless self-bump.

Come on people, this is how we can make a real difference in the long run.

boondoggle
02-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I’ve never seen this discussed on these forums, so I thought I’d throw it out there. The Institute for Humane Studies (http://www.theihs.org/) is an organization that assists students interested in liberty by offering scholarships, grants, internships, and free summer seminars (essay contests as well, I believe). AFAIK they work with high school, college, and graduate students.

My involvement is limited to attending one of their free summer seminars at Georgetown University years ago, but it was quite an experience. Unfortunately I was young (and stupid) and let the opportunity pass me by without persuing it further. So I’d recommend anyone who is still in school give this organization serious consideration – these people are doing a great thing and it deserves our participation.

The infrastructure to take this movement to unparalleled lengths is already out there, we just need to take advantage! Please keep this bumped so that the more people can hear about this. Thanks.

Holy jeebus! Thank you for posting that. Listen to what I did last night: Searched for colleges and scholarships. You know what I want to major in? Either English (
Creative Writing minor) or Video Production. There's a scholarship right down my alley on that site. I really want to be a screenwriter, so . . . Woop. Really, thanks a ton. It's all that I like molded into a magical ball of awesomeness. The last screenplay I wrote is so romantic (in the individual over collectivism, peace over tyranny, spirituality over materialism, sense of the word "romantic").

But, I guess this is more related to what this thread was about, there aren't any seminars being held in Michigan. So, am I not going? I don't know. I shockingly convinced my pa' to let me go to Iowa, take a plane for my first time, and basically live there for a week . . . So, no clue. G-ma broke her hip three weeks after I came back, though. Ah, and it sucks the closest ones are in Chicago. Chicago=blah. I don't know, it might happen. My favorite one is in California though . . . "Cinematic & Literary Traditions of Liberty: A Workshop" That is awesome and it ends two days before my eighteenth birthday. :cool: California is a ridiculously far way away . . . Meh, I'll stop typing my thoughts here and sit and ponder in silence.

BUT California, liberty, video, writing, AND near my birthday? Amazing, amazing. It's fun to think/dream about . . . Hahahaha . . . Thanks again, I'll be seriously considering this.

crazyfingers
02-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Holy jeebus! Thank you for posting that. Listen to what I did last night: Searched for colleges and scholarships. You know what I want to major in? Either English (
Creative Writing minor) or Video Production. There's a scholarship right down my alley on that site. I really want to be a screenwriter, so . . . Woop. Really, thanks a ton. It's all that I like molded into a magical ball of awesomeness. The last screenplay I wrote is so romantic (in the individual over collectivism, peace over tyranny, spirituality over materialism, sense of the word "romantic").

Yeah that's the best part. They'll help you get a job in your chosen field, whether it's film, journalism, teaching, law. politics...whatever. The contacts you make and the experience you gain can be invaluable.

The point is, if we want to win this struggle - and I mean REALLY win - than we need to fight hard for freedom on all fronts. The RP revolution will only succeed if we use all of the tools at our disposal.