PDA

View Full Version : Republican Debate in Reno on August 20th

billm317
08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't have much info on it, other than this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_presidential_debates,_2008#August_20.2C _2007_-_Reno.2C_Nevada

We need a good showing there to give Dr. Paul a ton of support. It also looks like ronpaul2008.com needs to be updated to let supporters know he's planning on being there, if in fact he actually is.

Does anyone have any more info on this debate? It looks as though it's going to be broadcast on ABC.

ChrisM
08-13-2007, 01:17 PM
That should be an extremely interesting debate, given that only four candidates will be there. That also happens to be the date of our local Meetup, so we could all watch it together...

shadowhooch
08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I don't see any other source for this debate beside Wikipedia (which isn't the most reliable). I'm doubtful that this is still on.

Also, they don't have the new YouTube debate date (Nov 26).

Ron Paul Fan
08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I doubt it's still on as well. We just haven't heard anything about it and it's not on Dr. Paul's website or on the other candidate's websites, although Mitt Romney is scheduled to be in Nevada around that time so I guess we'll have to wait and see what transpires.

remaxjon
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Is it a debate or a forum?

I thought it was a forum

ChrisM
08-13-2007, 01:26 PM
My local affiliate isn't mentioning it on their schedule, unless this is part of a regular-scheduled program.

thomj76
08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I just contacted the Brookings Institute, and they said "IT IS STILL A GO"
They haven't finalized the details yet. So get ready by inviting people to watch this.

ChrisM
08-13-2007, 01:32 PM
... But what time? On what program? I don't see this at all on the scheduling for that day on my local affiliate.

quickmike
08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
something seems strange about this debate. cant put my finger on it. No news coverage, very little talk about it. I cant find anything at abc news about it.

something seems weird about this.

Thom1776
08-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Check this out:

http://www.unr.edu/features/opportunity08/

pyrazole2
08-13-2007, 01:47 PM
There is something strange about this debate...it's a forum.

http://www.opportunity08.org/Events/

Opportunity 08 and UNR to Cosponsor Issues Forums

August 20 and 22, 2007 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm

University of Nevada, Reno
Experts and presidential candidates will speak on national security, competitiveness, and education at Reno forums in August.

Topics to be discussed include:

Education
As America relies more on minority workers, African-American and Latino students are dropping out...Read More

National Security
"Homeland security"-both the term and the policy-were effectively born amid the crisis...Read More

Climate Change
The world community agrees that we must maintain an open world trading system and address global warming...Read More

Competitiveness
The U.S. is undergoing a profound economic restructuring, due to pressures of globalization...Read More Learn more

nunaem
08-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Only four candidates have been invited: Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, Ron Paul, and Mitt Romney
Notice it says "..have been invited." not "..have accepted invitations.". I wonder if this is a typo? If not, they are are admitting Ron Paul is on par with the frontrunners.(Though McCain isnt really a frontrunner but he gets frontrunner coverage.)

billm317
08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
This will be taking place right when school starts. Do we have any UNR students here who can help get the word out? Probably not, but Dr. Paul could have a really big crowd there if word gets out properly.

ChrisM
08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
So it won't be broadcast likely... But it will be online. I can deal. At least we know, with only four candidates, that half of the Univ. of Nevada Reno campus will come out RP supporters. ;-)

pyrazole2
08-13-2007, 01:54 PM
More info about this Opportunity08 thing:

http://www.brook.edu/comm/news/20070221.htm

Brookings Institution and ABC News Launch Joint Project
Opportunity 08 to Foster Policy Discussion in Presidential Race

Washington D.C. (February 21, 2007) — The Brookings Institution announced today that it is joining with ABC News to launch a new project to help presidential candidates and the public focus on critical issues facing the nation. The new Opportunity 08 project and its website, www.opportunity08.org, will provide policy ideas and information on a broad range of issues facing America's next president. It will also serve as a forum to discuss solutions to America's most pressing policy challenges.

Opportunity 08As part of the project, more than 20 experts from the Brookings Institution will publicly present policy ideas for America's next president on a wide array of domestic and foreign policy questions, including tax policy, energy security, the deficit and Iraq. Those ideas will also be featured on the ABC News website at www.abcnews.go.com/politics and on ABC News Now, which provides live 24/7 news coverage online, on television and on mobile devices. ...

Brian
08-13-2007, 02:07 PM
We (the Las Vegas Meetup group) contacted our regional campaign coordinator last week and he stated that RP was not showing up. Maybe that has changed.

tmg19103
08-13-2007, 02:08 PM
I'd think Tancredo, Brownback and particularly Huckabee would go ballistic over their lack of invites (we certainly do when RP is not invited to something) since they all finished ahead of RP in Ames.

I'd also think the "Big 3" might not want to debate with RP and might back out or force RP out - and they'd argue the Ames finish (which was actually great for us, but the numbers also don't lie).

LibertyEagle
08-13-2007, 02:14 PM
I just called HQ to try to put an end to all this speculation, but it didn't help much. The guy who answered the phone, Brandon, checked with the Events Coordinator, who told him that Dr. Paul's attendance was "tentative". Brandon said they were waiting to see who else accepted.

billm317
08-13-2007, 02:15 PM
We (the Las Vegas Meetup group) contacted our regional campaign coordinator last week and he stated that RP was not showing up. Maybe that has changed.

Were you given any particular reason why he wasn't planning on showing up? There has to be more to it.

belian78
08-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Ron has got to be more pro-active all around. in his speeches, in debates, in accepting invites, etc... he should have the mindset of "i'll be anywhere i'm wanted, let them try and take me on."

im_a_pepper
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
It is only a week away, the fact of Carol Paul's surgery and her health may have an impact on his decision to attend as well. Personally, I would understand.

Brian
08-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Were you given any particular reason why he wasn't planning on showing up? There has to be more to it.

It seemed like the organizers were trying to make anyone that showed up the centerpiece of the event, basically grasping at straws. That's the impression we received.

Cowlesy
08-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Well I hope he jets out there and back and gives them all a good lesson. He never has anything to worry about as he has the truth on his side.

foraneagle2
08-13-2007, 03:40 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3463926

johnrocks
08-13-2007, 03:40 PM
something seems strange about this debate. cant put my finger on it. No news coverage, very little talk about it. I cant find anything at abc news about it.

It may be that the heavyweights aren't going to be there such as Romney and Guillini. Don't know just a hunch.

DjLoTi
08-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Ron Paul radio plans to be covering it. Also, the RP campaign hasn't officially accepted the invitation, as the other candidates have done the same. I think the RP campaign is waiting out to see if/when the other candidates accept.

I believe the other candidates are afraid at this format because if gives 20 minutes for each candidate, and it covers the issue that Ron wrote a book on: foreign policy. If it does happen, we'll know first, and we'll also be there to broadcast it for everybody.

UtahApocalypse
08-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Republican Issue Forum
Monday, August 20

(1664 N. Virginia Street, Reno),
Silver and Blue Room
* Time: 1 – 4 p.m.
* Topic: Democracy and Foreign Policy

As mentioned the campaign has not given a decision yet. If the event happens I am planning to report LIVE for RonPaulRadio.com In order to do this we may need some help with gas funds (I need to travel from Salt Lake City, Utah) As far as we can tell the event will not be televised live, so expect crappy clips on CNN, MSNBC, Fox after the fact. Having RPR on scene reporting live will allow everyone to hear the event in its entirety. Hope that this will happen, Ron Paul will so own Foreign Policy.

slantedview
08-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Having RPR there will be great. I'll see if I can attent myself since Reno is somewhat close... if RP accepts.

ronpaulitician
08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
If there's any chance of this being televized, or of any of the frontrunners, whether of the Republican party or the Democratic party, to show up, Paul should definitely try to make it there.

lapi7
08-13-2007, 09:06 PM
I contacted Dr. Paul's HQ today and they told me that this debate is definitely "ON" and that Dr. Paul has indeed accepted and RSVP'd his invitation.

Furthermore I inquired about local and national coverage and was told that ABC will be televising the event nationally.

This coming from a RP volunteer who double checked while I was on the phone at RP HQ...he did not know whether or not the other candidates had RSVP'd or not...I forgot to ask what time the event takes place.

lapi7
08-13-2007, 09:09 PM

The Brookings Institute is known to be notoriously Neo-Con, right wing. I think that this will be an attempt to try to attack and smear Dr. Paul

disinter
08-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I contacted the organizers today:

Yes, the forum will take place on Monday, Aug. 20, 1 p.m. at Lawlor Events Center. At this point, no presidential candidates have confirmed their attendance. (Ron Paul was invited.) The event, being billed as the Republican Issue Forum, will feature a panel of national and regional experts on the topic of democracy and its role in foreign policy.

- Jane

UtahApocalypse
08-13-2007, 09:27 PM
I contacted Dr. Paul's HQ today and they told me that this debate is definitely "ON" and that Dr. Paul has indeed accepted and RSVP'd his invitation.

Furthermore I inquired about local and national coverage and was told that ABC will be televising the event nationally.

This coming from a RP volunteer who double checked while I was on the phone at RP HQ...he did not know whether or not the other candidates had RSVP'd or not...I forgot to ask what time the event takes place.

Did you get a name? This is important information as RonPaulRadio is working out the logistics to attend and broadcast this event. What I was told as of 11am this morning was NO decision had been made. If this is indeed a GO then I would like to ask for some gas donations.

ChrisM
08-13-2007, 09:51 PM
The Brookings Institute is known to be notoriously Neo-Con, right wing. I think that this will be an attempt to try to attack and smear Dr. Paul
Dr. Paul is armed with facts. It's hard to smear somebody with facts when he is standing directly across the stage. They've tried so far and failed.

peacemonger
08-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Ron Paul in a serious foreign policy forum with any one of those pro-war MSM "front-runners" would work out brilliantly. A forum where he is given time to comfortably explain himself in more than 20 seconds would do a lot to help the campaign. Rudy McRomneyson is a fool.

d'anconia
08-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah I talked to the campaign and they said they're planning on going but it's still a bit "up in the air".

krott5333
08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
it IS still on.. I got a confirmation from the campaign

Bradley in DC
08-14-2007, 05:04 PM

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. Brookings is, if anything, notoriously liberal (center left with some Republicans) with a reputation for high quality work. They were *the* establishment institution when the Ds controlled everything before Reagan.

lapi7
08-14-2007, 06:15 PM
With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. Brookings is, if anything, notoriously liberal (center left with some Republicans) with a reputation for high quality work. They were *the* establishment institution when the Ds controlled everything before Reagan.

You're probably right Bradley.

I was talking to a friend who said that it was his understanding that the Brookings Institute was unfairly biased to the right...so I simply thought he knew what he was talking about. I really haven't reasearched or know anything about them.

Thanks for the info.

Paul4Prez
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
It looks like none of the Republicans has responded yet, according to an AP article (http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2007/aug/14/081410068.html)this afternoon:

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Sen. Joe Biden has agreed to join New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson at a Democratic presidential forum in Nevada next week but so far there's been no takers for a similar Republican event, organizers said Tuesday.

JAHOGS
08-14-2007, 09:08 PM
On DailyPaul.com it says that he will be in NH on August 20th but here on this thread it says he will be in Reno on the 20th. I hope he is in Reno for the forum on foreign policy.

Where will Paul be on the 20th?

slantedview
08-14-2007, 09:19 PM

I was thinking the same. Brookings institute is a strong supporter of NPR and PBS (both of which I consume), hinting at its liberal leanings.

JAHOGS
08-14-2007, 10:04 PM
http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6933374

Is he going or not? Guess I will just have to wait till the 20th.

Shink
08-15-2007, 09:24 PM
http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6933374

Is he going or not? Guess I will just have to wait till the 20th.

Now I'm depressed.:( The only way we can win is if Ron Paul gets in debates at a very high frequency. That article said none of them responded, and that tells me it's a no-go. Sonofabitch. There's a much bigger upswing in donations, hits, and buzz when he's done a debate. This drought is pissing me off. It all looks like...nevermind.

foraneagle2
08-16-2007, 12:03 PM
any updates?

foofighter20x
08-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Odd... I just talked to the campaign and they said Dr Paul was not attending this debate.

But, I only talked to a volunteer. Maybe some of you have better sources than I do...

Note: The event is not listed on the campaign's upcoming events calendar...

slantedview
08-16-2007, 12:59 PM
WTF, this could be a massive missed opportunity if the event takes place and he's not there. We need to know what the deal is.

BTW: No sticky on this thread anymore?

Shink
08-16-2007, 01:01 PM
I hope to hell he's engaging in a DEBATE rather than a simple meet and greet on the 20th. A meet and greet probably has a payoff of 50 to 200 new voters (on a good day) whereas him dominating a debate could turn 100,000+ when televised.

mdh
08-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Been there once. Had to leave though.

Shot a man just to watch him die, didn't want to end up stuck in Folsom prison, y'know?

LibertyEagle
08-16-2007, 01:18 PM
I hope to hell he's engaging in a DEBATE rather than a simple meet and greet on the 20th. A meet and greet probably has a payoff of 50 to 200 new voters (on a good day) whereas him dominating a debate could turn 100,000+ when televised.

I certainly hope the campaign is advertising his upcoming stops in New Hampshire. :confused:

empirenine
08-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know if this is still on? I'm curious if RonPaulRadio will be there.

spiteface
08-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Doesn't look like any of the Republican candidates are going to the forum on the 20th. See here (http://www.unr.edu/features/opportunity08/republican.html). Biden and Richardson are speaking at the Dem one on the 22nd.

empirenine
08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Doesn't look like any of the Republican candidates are going to the forum on the 20th. See here (http://www.unr.edu/features/opportunity08/republican.html). Biden and Richardson are speaking at the Dem one on the 22nd.

Bummer.