PDA

View Full Version : Is our children learning?

davver
02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Retired Teacher Reveals He Was Illiterate Until Age 48

http://www.10news.com/news/15274005/detail.html

OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- John Corcoran graduated from college and taught high school for 17 years without being able to read, write or spell.

Corcoran's life of secrecy started at a young age. He said his teachers moved him up from grade to grade. Often placed in what he calls the "dumb row," the images of his tribulations in the classroom are still vividly clear.

"I can remember when I was 8 years old saying my prayers at night saying, 'please, God, tomorrow when it's my turn to read please let me read.' You just pretend that you are invisible and when the teacher says, 'Johnnie read,' you just wait the teacher out because you know the teacher has to go away at some point," said Corcoran.

Corcoran eventually started acting up to hide his illiteracy. From fifth through seventh grade he was expelled, suspended and spent most of his days at the principal's office.

The former teacher said he came from a loving family that always supported him.

"My parents came to school and it no longer was a problem for me reading because this boy Johnnie the -- native alien I call him -- he didn't have a reading problem as far as the teachers were concerned. He had an emotional problem. He had a psychological problem. He had a behavioral problem," said Corcoran.

Corcoran later attended Palo Verde High School in Blythe, Calif. He cheated his way through high school, receiving his diploma in June 1956.

"When I was a child I was just sort of just moved along when I got to high school I wanted to participate in athletics. At that time in high school I went underground. I decided to behave myself and do what it took. I started cheating by turning in other peoples' paper, dated the valedictorian, and ran around with college prep kids," said Corcoran.

"I couldn't read words but I could read the system and I could read people," adds Corcoran.

He stole tests and persuaded friends to complete his assignments. Corcoran earned an athletic scholarship to Texas Western College. He said his cheating intensified, claiming he cheated in every class.

"I passed a bluebook out the window to a friend I painstakingly copied four essay questions off the board in U.S. government class that was required, and hoped my friend would get it back to me with the right answers," Corcoran said.

In 1961, Corcoran graduated with a bachelor's degree in education, while still illiterate he contends. He then went on to become a teacher during a teacher shortage.

"When I graduated from the university, the school district in El Paso, where I went to school, gave almost all the college education graduates a job," said Corcoran.

For 17 years Corcoran taught high school for the Oceanside School District. Relying on teacher's assistants for help and oral lesson plans, he said he did a great job at teaching his students.

"What I did was I created an oral and visual environment. There wasn't the written word in there. I always had two or three teacher's assistants in each class to do board work or read the bulletin," said Corcoran.

In retrospect, Corcoran said, his deceit took him a long time to accept.

"As a teacher it really made me sick to think that I was a teacher who couldn't read. It is embarrassing for me, and it's embarrassing for this nation and it's embarrassing for schools that we're failing to teach our children how to read, write and spell!"

While still teaching, Corcoran dabbled in real estate. He was granted a leave of absence, eventually becoming a successful real estate developer.

It wasn't until he was 48 years old that he gave reading and writing another chance. He drove to an inconspicuous office with a sign he couldn't read. He studied and worked with a tutor at the Literacy Center of Carlsbad. Assigned to a 65-year-old volunteer tutor, Eleanor Condit, he was able to read at a sixth-grade level within a year.

"I'm just an optimistic hopeful person that believes in the impossible and miracles," said Corcoran.

Carlsbad City Library literacy coordinator Carrie Scott said people of all walks of life go through the reading program, including teachers.

Corcoran is now an education advocate.

"I believe that illiteracy in America is a form of child neglect and child abuse and the child is blamed and they carry the shame, if we just teach our people how to read we'd give them a fair chance," Corcoran said.

He has written two books, "The Teacher Who Couldn't Read" and "Bridge to Literacy." He is also the founder of the John Corcoran Foundation. The foundation is state-approved as a supplemental service provider for literacy in Colorado and California – providing tutoring programs for over 600 students in small group settings, and individually in homes through an online program.

This is why the average moron doesn't understand the issues. The government isn't interested in an educated electorate.

PauliticsPolitics
02-13-2008, 09:51 AM
http://i28.tinypic.com/1zxnt55.jpg

me3
02-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Is our children learning?
Hopefully not from you. :p

Kade
02-13-2008, 09:59 AM

Ironically, you've just exposed yourself as more of the idiot... why don't you Google that phrase first before you comment next...

davver
02-13-2008, 09:59 AM

It's a GWB quote.

coyote_sprit
02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
He got a degree in 1961 and probably went to teaching shortly there after. So by that the question to be asking is "are our 40 year old adults literate?".

Another thing this teaches you is that whats a year 6 level can be taught in 1 year which is quite sad in my honest opinion.

GTMomma
02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I think it's sad this guy waited until he was in his 40's to learn to read. I can't believe he didn't feel motivated to learn until that point.

On the other hand, kudos to him for providing his students with a more creative approach to learning. It probably stuck with them more than just reading assignments from a book.

me3
02-13-2008, 10:18 AM
It's a GWB quote.
I didn't know that. Thanks!

mexicanpizza
02-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Goooooo Oceanside!!! (hangs head in shame)

That's why we're homeschooling. That and the oceanside schools are >90% hispanic. :eek:

ladyliberty
02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
George Bush-isms -

[These quotes from a 2001 Washington TV/Radio Correspondents dinner]

As you know, we're studying safe levels for arsenic in drinking water to base our decision on sound science, the scientists told us we need to test the water glasses of about 3,000 people. Thank you for participating.

"Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?" Let us analyze that sentence for a moment. If you're a stickler, you probably think the singular verb "is" should have been the plural "are," but if you read it closely, you'll see I'm using the intransitive plural subjunctive tense. So the word "is" are correct.

In my sentences I go where no man has gone before...I am a boon to the English language.

And my FAVORITE one-

You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. -- (spoken at a Washington Dinner, March 2001)

freelance
02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
I didn't know that. Thanks!

Are you kidding? It's his version of "ask not what your country can do for you...," with apologies to JFK for the "comparison." He'll be remembered for that line.

I THINK it's his most famous Bushism.

coyote_sprit
02-13-2008, 10:57 AM
It's a GWB quote.

Childrens are learning.

Phantom
02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I wonder if that teacher taught any of these people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojcHlLn6UCc

freelance
02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I wonder if that teacher taught any of these people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojcHlLn6UCc

Maybe he taught English to Bush.

me3
02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I THINK it's his most famous Bushism.
I don't get too hung up on Bush. He's merely the front man for the cabal.

tangent4ronpaul
02-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately, even the folks we have running for Congress seem to have problems here. Below is a letter one of them sent out recently. I have deleted names to avoid them embaresment.

-n

Just because someone is a ron Paul Supporter doesn't mean that they share all or even most of Ron Paul's while [deleted] is a ron Paul Supporter, he opposes the Iraq Waqr, the Patriot Act and other abuses of civil liberties(that's good), he opposes ron Paul on the Federal Reserve and on other Big Government. for instance [deleted] supports a natinal helathcare system( more Kuncinich than Ron Paul). Also, please check the FEC web site for Ron Paul contributors: type in my name and [deleted] http://www.fec.gov/finance/disclosure/norindsea.shtml One reason I am running for congress is because I maxed out my contribution limit. [deleted] has donated between zero on $200 to the Ron Paul campaign.

Please read our league of women voter guide responses: http://lwvmd.org/VOTE/content/[deleted]-info , http://lwvmd.org/VOTE/content/[deleted]-info. I haven't found [deleted] web site yet but mine is at www.[deleted].com.

While I am not certain but it appears from [deleted] response to the voter guide and other repsonse during the debates, that he believes the federal goverment can solve many of our problems by spending on mass transit, healthcare, enviornmental subsides, etc. [deleted] interprets the good and poper clause in the Ocnstitution as grant Congress the power to do almost anything. This is dead against all Ron Paul stands for.

[deleted] may wish to correct my take on his stands on these issues after all I am somewhat a biot bais.

Please review our positions and vote your heart. I am sure that there are a few liberal dems among us that hold views milar to [deleted] and they should vote for [deleted]. But being a Ron Paul supporter is not the same as a Ron Paul candidate.

By splitting the ron Paul vote [deleted] may be the winner here.

What's wrong with it:

ron Paul
Supporter
... they share all or even most of Ron Paul's while... (could I buy a verb?)
ron Paul
Supporter
Waqr
liberties(that's
ron Paul
...and on other Big Government. (could I but a verb?)
. for (this is the beginning of a sentence)
natinal
helathcare
system( more
... not certain but it...
congress
repsonse
goverment
healthcare
enviornmental
poper
Ocnstitution
as grant Congress
biot
bais
milar
ron Paul

He also referred to his opponents name most times in all lowercase.

The most important lesson here is that if you are going to broadcast an announcement, press release or persuasive letter that is related to Ron Paul, PLEASE use a spell checker and have someone else proof-read it first!

The above letter is the absolute worst writing I've seen come out of this campaign and is not typical. It does show why if you can't do something correctly, it's better to not do it in the first place. If anything, it does not instill confidence in the author.