PDA

View Full Version : Gay groups file amicus brief on DC gun ban Supreme Court case

Bradley in DC
02-13-2008, 08:02 AM
From the [DC4RonPaul] email list:

Gay groups file amicus brief on DC gun ban Supreme Court case

For those who are interested, here is a link to the amicus brief filed
on behalf of Pink Pistols and Gays & Lesbians for Individual Liberty in
the DC Second Amendment case now pending in the Supreme Court:

http://www.gurapossessky.com/news/parker/documents/07-290bsacPinkPistols.pdf

The main arguments are, first, that the need to possess a firearm for
self-defense is especially important for gays because in-home violence
and crime are especially great problems for gay people and, second,
that if the Second Amendment protects only a right to own a gun within
a militia (e.g., the National Guard) it is essentially a dead letter
for gays because they are excluded from service. There is no gay-
perspective brief on the other side.

[n.b., I do take issue with the "militia (e.g., the National Guard)" (http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/testimon.htm) comment]

]

Malum Prohibitum
02-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I think that a significant number of gays, like other 'minorities' are beginning to come to the conclusion that they are better off when the government protects their liberties as individuals, as opposed to protecting some kind of class affiliation.

Dequeant
02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
If i ever do become governor of MS, I'm going to have a website where residents of my state can officially join my state "militia". Not the national guard, the Mississippi State Militia! They want to play word games with the constitution, figure out a way to ban guns THEN!

Defining Obscene
02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
What a dilemma for them. Obviously multiple rights issues infringed here, the only solution is the constitution, but nobody seems to listen that "old thing" anymore.

OddballAZ
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
If i ever do become governor of MS, I'm going to have a website where residents of my state can officially join my state "militia". Not the national guard, the Mississippi State Militia! They want to play word games with the constitution, figure out a way to ban guns THEN!

I'll move to Mississippi then!

But here in AZ the state passed a law back around 1999-2001 that said if the Feds ever banned guns we'd succeed from the union so I think I will stay here.