PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks display...

thoughtbombing
02-13-2008, 04:53 AM
We need one... anyone know of the permits required, and the cost?

Razmear
02-13-2008, 04:56 AM
Please remember the two Egyptian students who were arrested and held for a few months in South Carolina for transporting fireworks (which are legal in SC) before considering bringing anything that goes Boom into DC.

eb

freedom_junkie
02-13-2008, 06:06 AM
and should I mention a missing arm or leg would get more press coverage than the march itself??? bad idea.

thoughtbombing
02-13-2008, 06:07 AM
and should I mention a missing arm or leg would get more press coverage than the march itself??? bad idea.

hence the permits and the professionals... what the hell is the matter with people... I'm not talking about bringing in explosives myself, jesus.

jdmx
02-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Yeah, it's not a big deal to find out what is and isn't allowed in DC and have it handled by professionals. I think fireworks sounds like a fantastic idea. It'll be the grand finale to the event and think of the attention it'll grab. People love fireworks. I'd be glad to donate to that.

wgadget
02-13-2008, 07:28 AM
I think it's a good idea...especially if it's the Fourth of July.

Time for Change
02-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, it's not a big deal to find out what is and isn't allowed in DC and have it handled by professionals. I think fireworks sounds like a fantastic idea. It'll be the grand finale to the event and think of the attention it'll grab. People love fireworks. I'd be glad to donate to that.

I will donate 100 guaranteed.
I am a pyro! I live to make large displays that prompt competition with others trying (in vain) to out do me! :D

Excellent idea!

Americans Marching, demanding responsible government!

Maybe we should market this as Americans United for Responsible Government.
Or something similar.
Not based solely on RP's personality, more on his message of stopping the out of control spending.

We need banners stating:

"Where have our leaders gone?"
"No New Debt!"
"Free the Market!"
"Basic Economics: Don't Spend What You DON'T Have"
"Land of the Free Ride for Non-Citizens"
"Who is paying for this War?"

You get the point!

FreeMind&Market
02-13-2008, 08:31 AM
You contract with a pyrotechnics company to put the show on. The pyrotechnics company handles the permits, insurance, transport of the fireworks and the launching. Two major issues to consider: 1) where will the show be. you need a lot of space 2) cost. a decent show will cost you about $15k. The big city July 4th shows cost in the $100s of thousands.

Here are some companies...
http://pyrotecnico.com/
http://zambellifireworks.com/

there are smaller, regional firms out there that can do a descent job for less money, but you get what you pay for.

Magicman
02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
How awesome would it be to have say like John Mayer play or another big band play and have them stand their waited to introduce Ron Paul, then play that video by Averoth called "A New Hope" on a giant production display screen. When the video ends, have complete silence and then a bunch of fireworks go up in the air, and then Ron Paul steps out to a speech.

tangent4ronpaul
02-13-2008, 02:43 PM
We should really reach out to the pyro (and homeschool, and experimenter) communities. This is an issue ready made for us:

http://billstclair.com/blog/chemical_suppliers_under_attack_by_feds.html

IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!! - The Government is actively attempting to eliminate all chemical sales to the public. This action has been initiated by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission). Ourselves (and other chemical suppliers) are now faced with legal action against us. If we lose this court battle, it will be illegal to even own a chemistry set.

etc.

http://crasch.livejournal.com/407389.html

CPSC trying to ban chemical sale to individuals

Think you might want to build a model rocket? Make your own fireworks? Mess around with a chemistry kit? If the CPSC (Consumer Product's Safety Commission) has it's way, you won't be able to do any of those things without a BATF "Explosives Manufacturing License. The CPSC is suing Firefox, a chemical supplier, seeking an injunction to require them to abide by the following restrictions:

"“Not sell, give away, or otherwise distribute any chlorate compound, magnesium metal, permanganate compound, peroxide compound, zirconium metal, or any chemical listed at 16 C.F.R. § 1507.2 to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF;

Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any of the following chemicals for which the particle size is finer than 100 mesh (or particles less than 150 microns in size) to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF: aluminum and aluminum alloys, magnalium metal, magnesium/aluminum alloys, titanium and titanium alloys, or zinc metal;

Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any of the following chemicals in an amount greater than one pound per year per recipient to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF: antimony and antimony compounds, benzoate compounds, nitrate compounds, perchlorate compounds, salicylate compounds or sulfur;

Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any fuse in an amount greater than 25 feet per year per recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF.”

In addition, the injunction requires extensive record keeping (photocopies of drivers licenses and, if applicable, ATF licenses for all recipients, as well as detailed invoices maintained for at least seven years) and requires Firefox’s agreement to provide those records to CPSC at any time on demand. "

More details here:

http://www.skylighter.com/skylighter_info_pages/article.asp?Item=72

If you want to support the continued existence of amateur chemistry, you may want to donate to support Fireworks Foundation's fight against the CPSC.

http://www.fireworksfoundation.org/

-n

mmink15
02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.schaeferfireworks.com/main.html

This is a fireworks company in Lancaster County PA(3 hours or so from Washington DC) that I have worked for. They are legitimate and reputable. I believe the lowest price show is $2500 up to tens of thousands for large events like this.

thoughtbombing
02-13-2008, 03:51 PM
we need the largest and most spectacular display we can raise funds for... I can't handle this as well as some people. I think Meetups should raise the funds, or we could set up a chipin, once we know a date and get a quote... this would have to scare the beeJesus out of Homeland Security... we need it THAT big... especially if it's on a Holiday like July 4th/Memorial Day, Constitution day, etc..

Joseph Hart
02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Fireworks in Washington DC are banned I believe.

thoughtbombing
02-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Fireworks in Washington DC are banned I believe.

then we'll learn this when we get the permits...

Technics2000
02-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Washington D.C. Fireworks Laws
CONSUMER FIREWORKS
Specifically Permitted Toy paper caps containing not more than 0.25 grain of explosive composition per cap, sparklers less than 20”in length, torches, box fire, fountains, cones, dip sticks, non-poisonous snakes, novelties, and colored lights.
Specifically Prohibited Firecrackers of any kind of description. Any fireworks that explode, (cherry bombs, salutes, roman candles, floral shells, artillery shells,) or intended to move after the piece is placed and fires (bottle rockets, parachutes, buzz bombs, pinwheels, helicopters, jumping jacks.) Sparklers more than 20” in length that contain dangerous chemicals, or any highly oxidizing agent. Fireworks having a side fuse, or a fuse inserted at any point along the length of the firework, and any firework found by the Fire Chief to be dangerous to the safety of any person or property.

DISPLAY FIREWORKS
Display Permit Must be approved by the Fire Chief, Director of the Office of Emergency Preparedness, Corporation Counsel, and Director of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs.
Insurance Required: $1,000,000 Min. to $3,000,000 Max.
Operator License specifically required in city law.

MANUFACTURE, STORAGE, TRANSPORTATION
Apply to Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs for storage permit. Manufacture and storage of banned fireworks prohibited.

LICENSING
Apply to Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs for wholesaler or retail license. Minimum age for wholesale license 21 years.

ENFORCING AUTHORITY
Fire Marshal D.C. Fire Department Fire Prevention Division
441 4th Street, NW, Suite 370-N
Washington, DC 20001 202-727-1614

LAW NUMBER
Title 7, Chapter 10, Section 101
BOCA 1996