PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Rallies Supporters

SAVEamerica
08-11-2007, 11:34 AM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/11/ron-paul-rallies-supporters/

AMES, Iowa – The Ron Paul signs, it seems, are practically everywhere you look here at the Iowa Straw Poll. There are bumper stickers and billboards and T-shirts in a wide variety of colors.

“I don’t make predictions, but I do say we are going to do very well!” Mr. Paul said, screaming to be heard over loud hooting and hollering from a few hundred supporters standing beneath his white campaign tent here. “How can anybody turn down the possibility to vote for freedom and hope?’

If Sam Brownback has his air-conditioned tent (yes, it is the same variety that Steve Forbes on a similarly balmy day in 1999) and Mitt Romney has his large fleet of buses, Mr. Paul appears to be matching both of his Republican rivals in the enthusiasm on the grounds of Iowa State University in the opening hours of the political carnival here.

Many of the people, of course, are not from Iowa. Driving here from Des Moines, the license plates of Paul supporters came from Washington state, Wisconsin and Missouri. They may not be able to vote in the straw poll, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a purpose here today.

“Many of you are not from Iowa, but you can persuade one or two or three or four people today,” Mr. Paul said, speaking to his overflow audience of supporters crowding around him. “Introduce them to the ideas and the wonderful aspects of freedom. We can restore this hope for America and for our liberties.”

As Mr. Paul, who did not appear to be sweating despite his long-sleeved green shirt and green tie, left his supporters with a parting piece of advice.

If you’re an Iowan, please go vote!” he said. And if not? “Go tell the Romney people to do the right thing!”

We’re making our way around the grounds of the Republican straw poll. Smells of barbecue are wafting in the breeze and country music is filling the air. Check back to see as the day unfolds. The polls close here at 6 p.m. Iowa time.

Birdlady
08-11-2007, 11:43 AM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/11/ron-paul-rallies-supporters/

AMES, Iowa – The Ron Paul signs, it seems, are practically everywhere you look here at the Iowa Straw Poll. There are bumper stickers and billboards and T-shirts in a wide variety of colors.

“I don’t make predictions, but I do say we are going to do very well!” Mr. Paul said, screaming to be heard over loud hooting and hollering from a few hundred supporters standing beneath his white campaign tent here. “How can anybody turn down the possibility to vote for freedom and hope?’

If Sam Brownback has his air-conditioned tent (yes, it is the same variety that Steve Forbes on a similarly balmy day in 1999) and Mitt Romney has his large fleet of buses, Mr. Paul appears to be matching both of his Republican rivals in the enthusiasm on the grounds of Iowa State University in the opening hours of the political carnival here.

Many of the people, of course, are not from Iowa. Driving here from Des Moines, the license plates of Paul supporters came from Washington state, Wisconsin and Missouri. They may not be able to vote in the straw poll, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a purpose here today.

“Many of you are not from Iowa, but you can persuade one or two or three or four people today,” Mr. Paul said, speaking to his overflow audience of supporters crowding around him. “Introduce them to the ideas and the wonderful aspects of freedom. We can restore this hope for America and for our liberties.”

As Mr. Paul, who did not appear to be sweating despite his long-sleeved green shirt and green tie, left his supporters with a parting piece of advice.

If you’re an Iowan, please go vote!” he said. And if not? “Go tell the Romney people to do the right thing!”

We’re making our way around the grounds of the Republican straw poll. Smells of barbecue are wafting in the breeze and country music is filling the air. Check back to see as the day unfolds. The polls close here at 6 p.m. Iowa time.

Hell yeah Ron Paul! Go get him! :)

Spirit of '76
08-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Hell yeah Ron Paul! Go get him! :)

Awesome, ain't it!

Birdlady
08-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Awesome, ain't it!

Yeah I just wish I could be there right now.