PDA

View Full Version : I was an official election observer in DC

Bradley in DC
02-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Ok, some general thoughts in random order.

We did very poorly here. It is HQ's fault. Period. The grassroots mobilized early last spring and summer to win DC (I'd posted about it here and publicly posted our strategy on a local forum, and possibly parts of it here). HQ intervened, told everyone not to cooperate with us, so we all stopped. Then nothing happened. They did next to nothing. This is the result. No one knowledgeable of the situation here would disagree.

Voter turnout in DC was unexpectedly very high. According to unofficial results with 139 of the 142 precincts reporting, there were 5,801 Republican votes for president cast. The RP grassroots analyzed past voter registrations and turnouts and forecast a turnout of 3,000 for our primary and a goal for us to get 1,500 votes. The DC GOP had heard the same consensus number from other sources as well. It was way up for the Ds too, but I didn't follow their numbers.

The DC GOP establishment had been nearly all united behind Giuliani until he endorsed McCain--then they all dutifully followed suit. The fewer "reformers" backed Romney. The Huckabee campaign did a major outreach to the churches, including the black churches.

I was told tonight by the now laid off former official campaign DC organizer that 700 people from DC donated to the campaign and his goal was for us to get 500 votes. (no comment) The official campaign's GOTV consisted of this one email:

February 8, 2008

J Bradley,

Ron Paul has a very good chance of winning Washington, D.C. -- if you act now.

There are just five days to go before the Washington, D.C. Republican primary on Feb. 12. There may be as few as 3,000 voters participating in the primary. 16 delegates are up for grabs [my edit: there are 19 delegates up for grabs]. We can win them.

To do that, we have to identify more Ron Paul supporters and we have to get out the vote. There is still time - sign-up as a Precinct Leader and begin canvassing your precinct immediately. Every new RP supporter we find and every undecided Republican we win over may provide the winning margin.

Put 110% into your efforts as a Precinct Leader. And urge all your friends who are registered Republicans in the District to vote for Ron Paul on Feb. 12 (unless you know they're supporting someone else).

These last few days can make all the difference.

A win in the District will give Ron Paul much-needed momentum and help to establish him as THE alternative to John McCain.

The push-back is under way. Help us win the battle of the Potomac!

Debbie Hopper
Assistant Campaign Manager
Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee

with no follow up or reminders the actual week of our primary and, reportedly, one large postcard mailing (which I never received--but it could be waiting for me at my PO Box).

While I voted on Monday, paper ballot by choice, absentee (since I was in NOVA on election day with the McKinley for Congress (http://mckinleyforcongress.com/) campaign putting up his and RP signs at voting locations there), most voting was done via touchscreens. As I posted on my strategy, the DC Board of Elections and Ethics allowed an open instruction [edit: that should read "inspection"] on the workings of the machines, but as far as I know, no one bothered to show up. Similarly, no notice or reminders went out to be observers at polling locations.

I was asked, last minute, to be the campaign's representative as an election observer at the DC BoEE. I agreed. I'd say it's a boring thankless job, but Paul Craney of the DC GOP and some of the RP Meetup people DID thank me for doing it. It was still boring. Long story short, I think I was the ONLY observer there...for any campaign...of any party. Yup. (I know. What else do you want me to say?) They had four cameras set up to monitor things and broadcast that to closed circuit for the press and observers, but I don't think any other campaigns showed. I went up to the room with the ballots rather than watch the camera. They were fine with that (many recognized me from previous visits preparing the campaign and our people for the big day). Disturbingly, security didn't check IDs, question anything, make me go through the usual metal detectors, nothing: I just went in the building, walked past the security desk, went up to the second floor, etc.

Voter fraud: I don't think DC would have ANY interest in REPUBLICAN voter fraud. I mean really. We're just a legal technicality here, an afterthought, a footnote. But hey, we did pull more Republican votes in our primary than the DC Statehood Green Party did (though their candidates total did get more votes than the good doctor did :o ).

The grassroots group had set our goal of winning 1,500 votes in DC. While I think we could have done that, I don't think that still would have won it. We had hoped to register a lot of Libertarians and Arabs and others, but none of that materialized when HQ took over. We also had plans for a more intelligent and comprehensive GOTV than HQ's, but oh well. [hint: focus on the precincts with the highest concentrations of Republican supervoters and work your way down the list and follow this checklist (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1226001#poststop).]

We are currently at 8.12% for Ron Paul in DC--these are UNOFFICIAL returns. Dr. Paul got 8% in NH (but I don't have more exact numbers) so this might have been our best primary performance to date!

Oh, I made myself available for the press and took the initiative to introduce myself to them. No one cared. Republican? ... DC?

0zzy
02-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Yay for incompetent campaigns!

DirtMcGirt
02-13-2008, 01:15 AM
That's a hard pill to swallow... anyway since you have a very good feel of the political spectrum do we have anyone in liberty chest running for these slots? Thanks for all the hard work so far!!!
Retiring

24 House: 2D, 22R; 5 Senate: 5R

Barbara Cubin (R-Wyo.), 61, 7 terms
Tom Davis (R-Va.), 59, 7 terms
John Doolittle (R-Calif.), 57, 9 terms
Terry Everett (R-Ala.), 70, 8 terms
Mike Ferguson (R-N.J.), 37, 4 terms
David Hobson (R-Ohio), 71, 9 terms
Darlene Hooley (D-Ore.), 68, 6 terms
Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), 59, 14 terms
Ray LaHood (R-Ill.), 62, 7 terms
Ron Lewis (R-Ky.), 61, 8 terms
Jim McCrery (R-La.), 58, 11 terms
Mike McNulty (D-N.Y.), 60, 10 terms
John Peterson (R-Pa.), 69, 6 terms
Chip Pickering (R-Miss.), 44, 6 terms
Deborah Pryce (R-Ohio), 56, 8 terms
Jim Ramstad (R-Minn.), 61, 9 terms
Ralph Regula (R-Ohio), 83, 18 terms
Rick Renzi (R-Ariz.), 49, 3 terms
Jim Saxton (R-N.J.), 65, 13 terms
John Shadegg (R-Ariz.), 58, 7 terms
Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.), 62, 5 terms
Jim Walsh (R-N.Y.), 60, 10 terms
Dave Weldon (R-Fla.), 55, 7 terms
Jerry Weller (R-Ill.), 50, 7 terms

Wayne Allard (R-Colo.), 64, 2 terms
Larry Craig (R-Idaho), 62, 3 terms
Pete Domenici (R-N.M.), 75, 6 terms
Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), 61, 2 terms
John Warner (R-Va.), 80, 5 terms

Resigning

1 House: 1R

Richard Baker (R-La.), 59, 11 terms

Resigned

2 House: 1D, 1R; 1 Senate: 1R

Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.), 66, 11 terms
Marty Meehan (D-Mass.), 51, 8 terms

Trent Lott (R-Miss.), 66, 4 terms

Died

6 House: 3D, 3R; 1 Senate: 1R

Julia Carson (D-Ind.), 69, 6 terms
Jo Ann Davis (R-Va.), 57, 4 terms
Paul Gillmor (R-Ohio), 68, 10 terms
Tom Lantos (D-Calif.), 80, 14 terms
Juanita Millender-McDonald (D-Calif.),
68, 7 terms
Charlie Norwood (R-Ga.), 65, 7 terms

Craig Thomas (R-Wyo.), 74, 3 terms

Bradley in DC
02-13-2008, 01:22 AM
That's a hard pill to swallow... anyway since you have a very good feel of the political spectrum do we have anyone in liberty chest running for these slots? Thanks for all the hard work so far!!!

I'm sorry, going on very little sleep the past few days and that only here and there, what are you asking me?

I'm supporting Vern McKinley for VA-10 against the incumbent Republican; Tom Brinkman in OH-02 against the incumbent Republican, and incumbent Republican Paul Broun (GA).

literatim
02-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Why did you listen to the official campaign?

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Thank you for your hard work and thoughtful comments.

I am not sure why the campaign was not too interested in DC. Maybe because of ingrained lobbyist types who would vote for their flavor of neocon. Maybe because in the primary the District would go Democrat. Maybe because of the difficult to locate people who work late and often return to their primary residence to vote or during any available time.

But 8% is not too bad.

Bradley in DC
02-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Maybe because in the primary the District would go Democrat. Maybe because of the difficult to locate people who work late and often return to their primary residence to vote or during any available time.

But 8% is not too bad.

Um, the Republicans have our OWN primary--and the RP HQ was just across the river. We only got the votes of about 3/4 of our donors. :(

Bradley in DC
02-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Oh, and yes, we did beat Romney and Giuliani! :p :cool: :D

Ex Post Facto
02-13-2008, 02:03 AM
I wonder if RP know's something we don't.

McDermit
02-13-2008, 02:23 AM
Didn't you get the list of donors/supporters from HQ? You should have been using that to do your own GOTV campaign.

We made a point of asking for the database for the counties we organize, andalthough we had to ask a few times, we got the info within a week of asking. Material requests are another story though. :rolleyes:

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-13-2008, 05:26 AM
Um, the Republicans have our OWN primary--and the RP HQ was just across the river. We only got the votes of about 3/4 of our donors. :(

Sorry I meant general election.

Bradley in DC
02-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Didn't you get the list of donors/supporters from HQ? You should have been using that to do your own GOTV campaign.

We requested it several times and were refused. It is a large part of the reason I stepped down as volunteer ballot access coordinator and refused a job with the campaign.

Ronin
02-13-2008, 12:27 PM
I asked too if I could have the donor lists in my area. This was a month ago and I was pressed for time and wanted to identify donors to give me a hand in my precinct. They said it was confidential despite the fact that it is public information. Idiots.

FWIW, it was a bunch of kids running shop in Arlington. I stopped by a couple times and nobody looked older than 25.

slacker921
02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
"We only got the votes of about 3/4 of our donors."
wow.. um.. that's just pathetic (on the part of the campaign).
I keep telling people here in NC that the campaign staff is going to do ZERO for us and we need to start getting things done ourselves or Paul will get 3% in NC. .. if that.

jumpyg1258
02-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Every day that passes, I tend to agree with people on the matter of the people running the campaign are complete morons. I can tell you one REALLY BIG reason why they lost here. Its cause there were ZERO television ads for Ron in this area and it appears that the campaign will never learn this lesson that radio ads don't do a damn thing. Every time I see an update from the campaign telling me they are buying more radio ads, I just shake my head and scream "YOU MORONS!" The American Sheeple have fallen for our corporate TV overlords and the only way youre going to reach them is thru TV ADVERTS! It also does not help that whoever makes their limited run TV ads are complete idiots. Those are some of the worst ads I have ever seen for any product, period. Anyways I hope the campaign sees this post cause Im very disgruntled about how they have been running things and its not surprising that they are losing this election due to their imcompetence.