PDA

View Full Version : The Fastest, Cheapest, Most Effective way to reach Your Neighborhood for Ron Paul!!!

mkeller
02-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Well, maybe not. But it's pretty close. It's faster than going door to door. And it's cheaper than mailing. It's . . .

Phone Canvassing!

Yes people, it's really effective. If you do it the right way - i.e. not the way they tell you to do it on the official site.

I tried doing the Non Advocacy poll last Saturday, and I got hung up on six times in a row, and then when one person finally took the survey, she turned out to be a Democrat. :( But then I remembered a couple of the members on here recommending telling people up front that you're volunteering for Ron Paul, and saying that you're a neighbor of theirs. I PM'd an old hand on here, and he said the same thing, so I tried it - this evening (between 5 and 8 p.m. is the best time to call during weekdays, I think); using the following as a script:

Hello, is this [Mr/Mrs. Surname]?

I'm Mark Keller, a neighbor of yours from over on [my road], and I'm calling all the people in our precinct to remind them that our presidential primary is on the 19th. And I'm wondering if you've considered Presidential Candidate Dr. Ron Paul?

And it works wonders! I called 19 people, and only got hung up on twice! One couple said that they were voting for Ron Paul, and just about everyone else said they'd consider it (I even nearly converted a Democratic Quaker!).

If they sound interested, I then ask them if they want any more info. For people who know nothing about Ron Paul, I read the short description of him from his Issues page, and for everyone who wants more information, I either direct them to the website or ask for their address, so I can send them some slim-jims.

So folks, if your state hasn't voted yet, and you aren't a Precinct Leader yet, become one! That's an order! And then call people.

And: being shy is no excuse. I'm rather a shy guy myself, but I survived, and I'm planning on continuing until I've called everyone in my precinct. Also, doing it the neighborly way is much easier than doing the poll. If you survey your neighbors as recommended by HQ, they think of you as a telemarketer, and get mad and hang up. But if you come across as a friendly, sincere neighbor, they're almost all very friendly themselves.

So . . . get started!

jbuttell
02-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Agreed - maybe one of my posts on the topic was one you read ;P I did the same thing, let them know I was their neighbor and a volunteer... made a huge difference. Highly recommended. One minor difference though, I did not tell anyone upfront 'when' the election was. I agree with HQ, it isn't our job to remind *everyone* to go vote, only those that will help our cause.

.jeremy

sandersondavis
02-12-2008, 11:58 PM
A great twist on campaigning for Dr. Ron Paul. I will use your technique and I hope it motivates others to try the same thing.
Thanks for your efforts.

bluto20
02-13-2008, 12:07 AM
That would've helped before super tuesday.

Thunderbolt
02-13-2008, 12:53 AM
That would've helped before super tuesday.

Give me a break. I have been pushing this concept for months now. It would have helped if you read about it or tried it yourself.

Stop whining. There are still five states left. Get busy. Make calls to those states. Just because your state is over is no reason to think you are off the hook. You have work to do, we all do. So stop crying over spilled milk, thank the man for his lovely post, and pick up the phone.

mkeller
02-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Aaaaannnnndddd . . . . Bump!

mkeller
02-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Ka-bump!

ButchHowdy
02-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Not that I'm proud FL's 3.15% statewide results, but I did exactly this at my precinct and helped to garner 6.44%

Bruno
02-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Give me a break. I have been pushing this concept for months now. It would have helped if you read about it or tried it yourself.

Stop whining. There are still five states left. Get busy. Make calls to those states. Just because your state is over is no reason to think you are off the hook. You have work to do, we all do. So stop crying over spilled milk, thank the man for his lovely post, and pick up the phone.

Agreed.
Calling can be highly effective.

WilliamC
02-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I've been walking my precinct the past two weekends and still have a little bit to do, but I'll definitely be calling people in it starting next week or so.

hopeforamerica
02-13-2008, 01:13 PM
We did a ton of phone canvassing in AZ. Wish we would have started way earlier than we did. We have early ballot voting and that hurt us a lot. Hind sight is 20/20. We busted our butts in AZ and got 4% of the vote. Had we done the conventional canvassing and phone canvassing a bit earlier I wonder what the results would have been. Go for it!!! Phone like crazy, it really does reach the people and you can win votes!