PDA

View Full Version : Iraq vet confronts Mitt

Alabama Supporter
08-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Somebody let Ron Devoll Jr. know about Dr. Ron Paul. (hopefully he already knows about him) Ron, thanks for your service to our country.

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2007/08/10/veteran_romney/index.html

Afterward, it got interesting. While Romney was shaking hands, an Iraq war veteran started calling out Romney's name. Ron Devoll Jr. is a 26-year-old from Cedar Falls, Iowa, who was wounded in Iraq by a mortar round. He was wearing a Red Sox baseball cap. Here's the transcript of what happened next:

DEVOLL: I'm an Iraq veteran. (Romney reached out to shake his hand.)

ROMNEY: Thank you for your service, and go Red Sox.

DEVOLL: If you were elected when would you pull the troops out?

ROMNEY: When the job is done, and hopefully that gets done soon, and the surge is successful. I sure hope it is going to be successful.

DEVOLL: Don't you think this is compared to the Vietnam War?

ROMNEY: It is by a lot of people. But I think it is different in a lot of respects, and the key respect is this: And that is that if this becomes, if we leave in the wrong way there, this could become a conflict that could engulf the entire region and potentially draw us back again into a worse situation. And so I believe the surge, I hope the surge will be successful. We're going to give it a shot. We are going to hear what Petraeus has to say in a month, and hopefully it will be successful. We can start bringing our troops home. That's what I would like to see.

DEVOLL: But why aren't we...

Devoll never got to finish asking his third question. Romney's traveling press secretary, Eric Fehrnstrom, announced to everyone that Romney had to go somewhere else to be. "Thank you very much," Fehrnstrom said.

But Devoll, who said he once voted Republican, was just getting started. "I think that Romney was disrespectful," Devoll told reporters after the candidate had left. "I tried to ask him questions. You know I am an Iraq vet who served my country and he can't give me a few minutes of his time, and he wants to walk off. I think that's really disrespectful," he said.

CurtisLow
08-11-2007, 12:36 PM
That's because Mitt did not want to answer real questions..
He's a phony! I hope people see him for what he really is... A stuffed suit.

alexlcameron
08-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Sheesh! You would think with the candidate selection on both sides of the isle that everyone will flock to RP message once given an opportunity to hear it!

nunaem
08-13-2007, 02:04 PM
It's these instances of candidates dodging honest questions that our media should be reporting on, not $500 haircuts.
Hell! Our media should be asking those questions!
Its a shame our soldiers are the only ones that can ask what they are fighting for.

CodeMonkey
08-13-2007, 02:09 PM
DEVOLL: Don't you think this is compared to the Vietnam War?

ROMNEY: It is by a lot of people. But I think it is different in a lot of respects, and the key respect is this: And that is that if this becomes, if we leave in the wrong way there, this could become a conflict that could engulf the entire region and potentially draw us back again into a worse situation...

And how is that different from what they said about Vietnam?

Nefertiti
08-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Someone can contact him here I believe:

Devoll, R

827 Melrose Dr

Cedar Falls, IA 50613-4407

(319) 266-9449

But post before you do because we don't want to phone spam him. Any takers?

R_Harris
08-13-2007, 03:38 PM
And how is that different from what they said about Vietnam?

Correct - at that time it was called the "domino effect."

And, to a certain effect, it was true - the problem for the war supporters is that we helped a lot of the dominos to also fall! (e.g., we started the war in Cambodia with our invasion in 1970, which eventually weakened Lon Nol, which allowed the Khmer Rouge to take over in 1975, which lead to the killing fields, etc. - I think you get the idea)

Buzz
08-13-2007, 03:50 PM
If Devoll had been wearing a Yankees cap, Willard would have said "and go Yankees." :rolleyes: