PDA

View Full Version : March on washington!

eOs
02-12-2008, 09:04 PM
The march on washington should not be a subforum of a bigger thread.

March on washington is a direct order from Ron Paul. So treat it like one. Make it a sticky in the grassroots central main forum. Make it a sticky in the Ron Paul official news section as well.

reduen
02-12-2008, 09:26 PM

March on washington is a direct order from Ron Paul. So treat it like one. Make it a sticky in the grassroots central main forum. Make it a sticky in the Ron Paul official news section as well.

+1

We now have our marching orders people!

Cholo
02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
yeah, please make this a sticky and lets' get a running tally of who will attend. We can take the numbers from here and try and find them out from other sites over the net and get a rough idea of who is a definite yes for attending.

Like RP said, if there's not enough people, there's no point and it will actually be a bad idea. So we need to have an idea of how many people will actually go if we do it. Post a poll or something.

bgarrett
02-12-2008, 10:24 PM
heres my opinion and I'd like to hear yours.
The march is NOT a good idea.
I am 1500 miles away and this march will be --what? a 2 hour event?

I Aint Going!

I can donate money from home, I have spent many hours putting out signs and I can go to meetups locally but what will be accomplished if some folks go to Wash DC?
What good would it do if a million showed up?
How is that gonna get him elected?
You know the media will ignore it or give a smaller count than actually show up.

Somebody please explain how a march could help RP

tmosley
02-12-2008, 10:30 PM
For one thing, it will be a good networking opportunity for like minded people to meet each other, and discuss future plans, trade info, etc.

For another, it will wake up more people to the liberty movement.

For a third, it will make the politicians sit up and take notice, and maybe they can start throwing us a friggin' bone every now and then (by not passing outrageously anti-Constitutional legislation).

For a fourth, it might get some POSITIVE airtime for Dr. Paul.

Etc. etc.

I understand if you would rather spend your money on more practical purposes, but sometimes a symbolic gesture is needed to rally the troops.

Minuteman
02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Your right. Kinda like the Civil Rights march on Washington, waste of time.

bgarrett
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Your right. Kinda like the Civil Rights march on Washington, waste of time.

Be serious--how can a 'march' help RP?

Politicians will ignore it

amistybleu
02-12-2008, 11:17 PM
It is to show the strength and resolute nature of the revolution, It shows that this fervent grass roots uprising is not a passing fad and we will continue to fight for peace, freedom, liberty, and prosperity.

Didn't you people listen to Ron's message. :confused:

Pauls' Revere
02-12-2008, 11:30 PM

AT LEAST A STICKY!?!?!:)

ronpaulitician
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Make it a celebration instead of a protest? Kind of like a vast reunion of likeminded people, preparing to do mental battle in the name of freedom. We've got quite a fight ahead of us, and it might be a long time before we can celebrate our eventual victory like I'm sure the leaders of the first American revolution did when they gained independence.

People who can't attend can log on to something like justin.tv and have parties with RP supporters from their meetup groups (plus perhaps some Obama supporters, just so we keep things interesting) at home.

Pauls' Revere
02-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I have "Rage Against The Machine" in my head as I type this.

WE MARCH! BULLS ON PARADE!!

Pauls' Revere
02-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Doctors Orders:

March on Washington.

GayRPFan
02-13-2008, 12:11 AM
heres my opinion and I'd like to hear yours.
The march is NOT a good idea.
I am 1500 miles away and this march will be --what? a 2 hour event?

I Aint Going!

I can donate money from home, I have spent many hours putting out signs and I can go to meetups locally but what will be accomplished if some folks go to Wash DC?
What good would it do if a million showed up?
How is that gonna get him elected?
You know the media will ignore it or give a smaller count than actually show up.

Somebody please explain how a march could help RP

+1

I too do not understand this thinking. Im about the same distance away, the cost would be at least $300.00 (fuel costs) at the very lowest and that's sleeping in the car and not eating. I'd rather donate the money directly to the RP Pres/Congressional campaign(s) makes much better sense to me. Think about how much money can be raised by staying home. For example, what if only 25,000 attended this march and they instead donated a conservative $100. That'll generate $2,500,000 dollars. Imagine, if 4x that many RP supporters attended it would bring in massive $10,000,000!

But, then maybe the publicity will generate 10 million dollars worth of publicity from the MSM? Judging from their past record, I highly am doubtful this will happen? So Im very puzzled by this call, it seems to not make any economic sense.

paulforpaul
02-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Staying home and donating has not accomplished our goals. We need to be out in the streets, not cowering behind our screens.

Publius Freeman
02-13-2008, 12:35 AM
There are going to be a half-million vets on motorcycles in DC on May 25, Memorial Day weekend. It's called Rolling Thunder XXI!

Check this out:

http://www.rollingthunder1.com/events.html

Members of this same group also put together http://www.gopteaparty.com against MrCain.

(If July 4th doesn't work for some reason, we could probably tie our rally in with this one in a kind of joint-venture. IMHO, it could be a very powerful combination, and a great differentiator for Ron Paul vis-a-vis the other Republican candidates due to his stand against the unconstitutional war.)

RP2008!

zig
02-13-2008, 12:40 AM
+1

I too do not understand this thinking. Im about the same distance away, the cost would be at least $300.00 (fuel costs) at the very lowest and that's sleeping in the car and not eating. I'd rather donate the money directly to the RP Pres/Congressional campaign(s) makes much better sense to me. Think about how much money can be raised by staying home. For example, what if only 25,000 attended this march and they instead donated a conservative $100. That'll generate $2,500,000 dollars. Imagine, if 4x that many RP supporters attended it would bring in massive $10,000,000!

But, then maybe the publicity will generate 10 million dollars worth of publicity from the MSM? Judging from their past record, I highly am doubtful this will happen? So Im very puzzled by this call, it seems to not make any economic sense.

(please excuse my typing and grammar, its late and i was lazy)

well, i live in nyc and i work a crappy job, don't have much time to myself, i'm basically poor, and i also have a lot of other responsibilities that could keep me from going to an actual march on washington. i have a car so i can probably drive there if there is actually an organized march like the dr. has ordered...

but, you know what...i would actually go and attend this march on washington if it occurred. im laughing while im typing this because i wouldn't think in my life i would ever even consider doing something like this, and i've always been very apathetic towards politics and this certaintly is not my character. throughout this whole campaign though i've really found myself just sitting at home, sending small amounts of money into the campaign here and there, speaking to my friends and family about ron paul and the issues he disccuses and his views, and just crossing my fingers and hoping that somehow, someway the rest of america would really understand that ron paul speaks the truth and is the candidate we need in office.

unfortunately though, i have not been doing enough for the campaign and i realize this. just sending in money really isn't doing much at all. it sure has helped the campaign...all the money we've raised together, but the kind of change we want in america and the ideals ron paul holds that we are fighting for deserve much more action then just a few generous donations from my pockets every couple of months. as a matter of fact, these ideas are worth fighting and dying for, and these ideas have been defended in this way throughout our history. im not advocating violence or anything like that, but if ron paul has called for a march on washington in defense of his name, his ideas, his beliefs, his values, etc. then the least i can do is make my way to washington and stand with the rest of you.

sure, it still might not get ron paul into office. whatever...it is what it is. ive seen how this campaign has been handled by the mainstream establishment from the very beginning. i understand completely how unfair ron paul was treated, and i know very well how much worse things could possibly become if he loses his seat in Congress or if his voice and others like his are silenced. i think personally that its up to us to march on washington and show them that we stand behind this man and share his ideas and we are here living in this country and we aren't going to stop fighting for our freedom even if our guy doesn't get into office. at the very least we are making our presence known, and showing the opposition that we will never give up without a fight.

if we sit back now and say this march will accomplish nothing, then i dont think you ever had any intentions of accomplishing anything with this movement to begin with. maybe you were just hoping everything would turn out ok like i was, but i realize now that things dont work like that. things will always be difficult for this movement, even if we raised 10x more money as the others, these ideas and beliefs threaten what is already established..we will always have a difficult road ahead of us until we win.

EndTheFed
02-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Would rolling thunder want to join forces? anyone know them?

jason43
02-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I went to Rolling Thunder last year (I live about an hour south of DC). Its awesome, but it is more about veterans issues than about particular politics. POW/MIA is the major cause that is promoted. I don't think it would be appropriate to try to coopt it officially, because it is also kind of a memorial thing for vets that lost friends.

Thats not to say that you couldnt go there or have a group of people go there and promote Dr Paul and his ideas. there are lots of tables that have information and I'm sure passing out literature would be fine. Veterans (and I am one) have a WIDE view on the war. Many are against it, some only privately, and many are "for the troops" because they identify the mission and the troops as being one and the same. Dr Paul has been on the POW issue, and also veterans issues though, and this can be pointed out at people that are attending the ride.

Its really cool to go to for those of you who think you can make it. Well worth going to...

FreeTraveler
02-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Be serious--how can a 'march' help RP?

Politicians will ignore it

That's where you're wrong. The MSM will ignore it, as much as possible. The politicians, as Dr. Paul has pointed out repeatedly, are impressed and scared by what they see happening. You may never hear about it in the MSM, but a march like this will have a lot of the "good ole' boys" peeing in their pants. :D

Zarxrax
02-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Carpool and save money. Maybe get a large group and charter a bus.
You can also make a vacation out of it. My class took a trip to dc when I was in high school, and there was a lot of museums and monuments and things where you can learn about the history of our country. At the time though, I wasn't really able to appreciate those things like I would now.

GayRPFan
02-13-2008, 11:53 AM

When did he state this? if based upon the RP youtube video, he specifically stated it was something he thought of in his head, and it was just a thought. Not a direct order.

A march on Washington would be absolutely fantastic idea if he could get the numbers needed to make an impact. If he was trying to send up a trial balloon, to ascertain whether the idea is good or bad, then all he has to do is look at his fundraising efforts since Super Tuesday (except for his Congressional campaign.) looks to have all flat-lined and my predictions the march will too.

IMHO, unless the good Doctor can some how revitalize the campaign to the level preceding the disappointing results in Iowa, NH and Super Tuesday then the march does indeed have a good chance for success. Just trying to be realistic here, I don't want to expend more time, effort and money and find once again my expectation's dashed. Once bitten, twice shy.

tpreitzel
02-13-2008, 03:55 PM
By itself, the march would probably succeed in bringing notoriety to Ron's message by encouraging those supporters in the vicinity of Washington, DC. If the campaign wants to attract supporters further away, some mechanism (likely sponsored by grassroots) is needed to get these people to DC and accommodate them for a couple of days as many will be traveling thousands of miles.

tpreitzel
02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Carpool and save money. Maybe get a large group and charter a bus.
You can also make a vacation out of it. My class took a trip to dc when I was in high school, and there was a lot of museums and monuments and things where you can learn about the history of our country. At the time though, I wasn't really able to appreciate those things like I would now.

Something like this process will HAVE to take place to encourage those traveling some distance to attend.

satchelmcqueen
02-13-2008, 05:08 PM
i will go and just take a couple of days vacation in WA. Ill be there!