PDA

View Full Version : Republican Liberty Caucus Questions...

Bold As Love
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
What are your opinions? I am a libertarian and have supported the LP. I plan on voting LP in the future, but in reading up on the RLC, I wonder if this might be an effective vehicle for the libertarian movement i.e. getting grassroots support for "Ron Paul Republicans" in all the races.

www.rlc.org

One of my major issues with the general Republican party is that even though many profess to be in favor of a limited national government, quite a few of those same people seem to have no trouble with STATE government. Personally, I'm not too crazy about state government...this issue is a big reason why I don't support the GOP on the state/local level.

From what I have read, the RLC seems to be libertarian and truly limited-government in nature, even on the state and local level. In your opinion, is it inconsistent to support both the LP and the RLC? Of course, I have no RLC candidates in my area with the exception of Congressman Paul in the Presidential race.

skiingff
02-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I have been a card-carrying member of the LP for 2 years. In addition, I'm in the RLC and I'm participating in my local GOP events.

You can do both.

Bold As Love
02-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks, that is helpful.

Bold As Love
02-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

cswake
02-12-2008, 09:23 PM
I joined. This is a recognized organization in the Republican party, holds the same values that Ron Paul does, and welcome us supporters! (Imagine that =)

LibertyIn08
02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
I wish we had fusion tickets in the US, to be honest.

pinkmandy
02-12-2008, 09:43 PM
My opinion is that they do not conflict. The fed govt and state govts are 2 different entities (which I know you know, lol, it's just better to fight the big one first). By working hard to create a movement to downsize the federal govt it should trickle down to all levels of govt, right? If it's a movement it will. We are reminding people what the role of govt is, we are reminding them they are the masters of govt! When we empower people to think free it will mean freedom for all. :)

ETA I'm joining, too. RIGHT NOW because I forgot a few days ago when I was going to. ;)

Bold As Love
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I could see getting moved here.

My apologies.

BTW, your doing a great job, thanks.

dblee
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks, that is helpful.

Remember, with state powers you can at least vote with your feet. States have a role to play as well, some people want a nanny-state at least on a local level, you can't deny them that. Libertarianism is all encompassing in that regard to the rights of individuals to live and be governed how they please. With government out of our lives at every level, you get anarchy.

Anarchy, while well and good in an imaginary world where people don't commit crimes against their neighbors, would in fact be regressive to liberty. Imagine having to guard your personal belongings and loved ones with weapons, living in constant fear for your safety. That is not a free society.

The free-est society is some combination of hands-off government and local governments where more direct rule by the people is possible.

Hence, the republic.

Bold As Love
02-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Remember, with state powers you can at least vote with your feet. States have a role to play as well, some people want a nanny-state at least on a local level, you can't deny them that. Libertarianism is all encompassing in that regard to the rights of individuals to live and be governed how they please. With government out of our lives at every level, you get anarchy.

Anarchy, while well and good in an imaginary world where people don't commit crimes against their neighbors, would in fact be regressive to liberty. Imagine having to guard your personal belongings and loved ones with weapons, living in constant fear for your safety. That is not a free society.

The free-est society is some combination of hands-off government and local governments where more direct rule by the people is possible.

Hence, the republic.

I hear you. If government has to have that kind of power, it must be on the local or maybe state level where it is more responsive to the people. And, if you don't like the way it is in your state you likely do have the freedom to move to a less restrictive/involved one...much easier than you can move to another country.

I still think that limited government is a solid principle on every level. Speaking as a public school teacher, I have seen them make a huge mess of things on the state level as well. The more decentralized, the more competitive, the better, IMO.

I appreciate the response and agree with you.

Bold As Love
02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
My opinion is that they do not conflict. The fed govt and state govts are 2 different entities (which I know you know, lol, it's just better to fight the big one first). By working hard to create a movement to downsize the federal govt it should trickle down to all levels of govt, right? If it's a movement it will. We are reminding people what the role of govt is, we are reminding them they are the masters of govt! When we empower people to think free it will mean freedom for all. :)

ETA I'm joining, too. RIGHT NOW because I forgot a few days ago when I was going to. ;)

Cool. Thanks for the input.

Bold As Love
02-13-2008, 10:19 PM
If government has to have that kind of power,

To me, it all comes down to this. There are only a few legitimate functions of government.
1. Enforce contracts.
2. Insure economic competition (which they frequently fail to do)
3. Protect property rights.

Now, these three functions encompass a great deal of government power (foreign policy handled by the federal government included)...but there is a real limit as well. I think that if we look at all government, state and local included, through this filter, we can go a long way toward improvement.

I just can't accept the nanny state on any level and disagree strongly with my state GOP on this. However, I think I have concluded that being a Libertarian does not disqualify me from getting involved in the Republican Party.

madRazor
02-13-2008, 11:54 PM
However, I think I have concluded that being a Libertarian does not disqualify me from getting involved in the Republican Party.

Agreed.