PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice how the federal govt. is now beginning its seize of...

AJ Antimony
02-12-2008, 05:18 PM
The sports industry? One of, if not the greatest source of entertainment that distracts the masses from everyday politics is slowly but surely being taken by the federal government. Oh no, they're not going to shut it down, they just want some control.

Look at Major League Baseball. It's a league that's been in operation for over a hundred years and yet somehow they don't have the balls to punish the players for themselves? So they need Congress to let the players know steroids is wrong? Maybe I'm not informed enough but how Congress has any say in MLB is beyond me.

Now there's the National Football League. Its commissioner is now talking with a certain US Senator (too lazy to google the name) about the spying the teams do to each other. Again, why the Senate should be involved and why the league can't punish their own players/teams is beyond me. I guess somehow there's profit in it?

constitutional
02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Like you said, average American is keen to be more interested in sports and more knowledgeable in sports than in politics. Congressmen have the best chance to get exposure among his or her constituents by taking a position on popular issues, such as steroids. Of course there is only one position to issues such as steroids and spying on each other -- it's immoral. So politicians find it easy to get involved in those one-sided popular issues.

Of course politicians are not the only one to be blamed. Those bosses of sports leagues could intentionally not be addressing such issues to keep public entertained for hours and hours on television.

And the truth to the matter is, it's human nature. Lets just say you were a politician or owner of a well renounced league: would you have not done the same?

Who's to blame here? The public.

AJ Antimony
02-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Who's to blame here? The public.

I couldn't agree more. Also, at least to an extent, one could put some place on the owners for being greedy. I mean logic tells us that if you were the commissioner of a league and teams or players broke some rules, the thing to do would be to simply punish them. However the owners know doing so would cause the equally greedy players/teams to go on strike and thus really hurt the business side of sports.

Man, sports was great when the game mattered more than money.