PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking to run as a U.S. Representative...

phoenixzorn
02-12-2008, 03:25 PM
I'll be going up against Tammy Baldwin (D) (http://tammybaldwin.house.gov/) in a state that is decidedly Democrat, in a District that is also decidedly Democrat, though much closer to Centerist than Milwaukee or Madison. I'm fully capable of performing the duties of the station, but I am not actually "qualified" because I don't have a college degree, I'm not gay, I am married, and oh yeah... I am not a liberal.

We had a Republican Gubernatorial Candidate the last election cycle, and he had his ass handed to him by the incumbent, Jim Doyle.... We have a few notable Representatives in Congress, including Jim Sensenbrenner, and I could ask for his help, but I don't know really where to start.

I am also not very well off financially, but I am involved in City politics already. I hold the same beliefs as everyone here, and I've held those beliefs for many years before I ever heard about Ron Paul and figured out that I'm a "RP Republican"... I'd appreciate any help in setting up, and starting the campaign.

A bit about my opponent, Tammy Baldwin is the only Congressperson who is "out of the closet" voluntarily, and has a live in girlfriend. She supports gay marriage as a constitutional amendment, supports nationalized healthcare, illegal immigrant amnesty, and replies with "canned" letters that have NOTHING at all to do with the letter that was written to her. I'm sick of politicians who think they can explain away everything they do by circular reasoning and general bullshit.

RPTXState
02-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Hammer the issues that matter to liberals. Civil liberties, pro-peace, etcetera.

Look up if Tammy Baldwin voted for the PATRIOT Act.

nate895
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
In presidential elections Wisconsin is usually pretty purple, only a few thousand (last election hundreds, I think). It looks like your district is pretty rural, so you might be able to win.

phoenixzorn
02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Hammer the issues that matter to liberals. Civil liberties, pro-peace, etcetera.

Look up if Tammy Baldwin voted for the PATRIOT Act.

She did NOT vote for the Patriot Act, though she did vote for one or two later parts of it... she also did NOT vote for any of the Reauthorizations of the Patriot Act, or the Expansion of the Patriot Act...

RoyalShock
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Examine her record and see if her votes appear "anti-Republican". If so, play it as she's more interested in a partisan party battle than representing her constituents and doing what is best for the country.

phoenixzorn
02-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Well... she's a democrat, so of course everything she does is Anti-Republican... in a Democrat state...

Minlawc
02-12-2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=BS021382
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Baldwin

She's openly gay, and seems to be one of those radical Democratic Leftist.
I think you have your work cut out for you.

I think she voted for McCain-Fiengold, you can try to nail her on the Free Speech issue.

zadrock
02-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Running against a Democrat in a Democratic state and district will be a totally different strategy from what we've seen Ron Paul doing. We need to hammer the point about being antiwar, even more antiwar than Democrats.

If all goes well today, Mike Hargadon will win his primary and will go against Elijah Cummings in MD's District 7. This used to be Kweisi Mfume's seat. So that's how liberal we're talking. The District extends from inner city Baltimore out to wealthy suburban Howard County.

I volunteered for Mike's campaign, so we should definitely share ideas on what works/what doesn't in liberal areas with liberal voters. Standing in front of the polls today gave me a good idea of what Dems think of Republicans. I had to ask everyone whether they were Republican (closed primary) so I knew whether to give them my RP flier. It usually wasn't a simple "no" if they were a Dem. It was "NO!!" or "Absolutely not" or "Never!!" I don't know how we'll convince these Obama/Hillary supporters to vote out an incumbent Dem, but we've gotta try.

Z

zadrock
02-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Shoot, Baldwin even voted against REAL ID. We're gonna nail Cummings on that one - he voted for it.

Z