PDA

View Full Version : Washington Vote Counting Stoppage

gilliganscorner
02-12-2008, 01:26 PM
From: http://libertarianthinktank.org/2008/02/12/washington-state-gop-debacle-you-dont-know-the-half/

The Washington State GOP stopped counting caucus results after only 87% of the counties reported in, just as John McCain edged past Mike Huckabee. Bradblog reports that this decision was made unilaterally by Washington State GOP chairman Luke Esser, or as Brad of Bradblog.com calls him, “Esser the Suppressor”. Brad also claimed that Luke Esser has a history of devising measures to suppress votes. He cites a UW Daily article written by Esser in 1986:

Luke “The Supressor” Esser

Now your average leftist loudmouth is a committed individual and can almost never be persuaded to ignore his constitutional rights. The deadbeats, however, are a different matter entirely. Years of interminable welfare checks and free government services have made these modern-day sloths even more lazy. They will vote on election day, if it isn’t much of a bother. But even the slightest inconvenience can keep them from the polling place.

That’s nothing. When I signed up to be a Precinct Committee Officer for my precinct in Seattle, I received a barrage of strange calls. Two of them came from the GOP district chair. In the first call, he asked how committed I was to the Republican Party. I truthfully said that I grew up in a Reagan household, served in the military, supported Rossi for Governor in 2004, and have voted only for Republican presidential nominees.

This loosened him up enough to talk some smack about Ron Paul. He said the problem with Paul is that he makes great, impassioned speeches in Congress, but refuses to “get anyone to go along with his ideas”. Whatever. “By the way”, he asked, “are you supporting anyone?” I said that I liked the whole field but I want to keep my preferences to myself. He said that was no problem.

After his first call, I got a call from another district chair. She outright asked me if I was a Paul supporter. I said the same thing. She shilled for Huckabee’s morality for some minutes before I told her that I was more interested in economic issues. “Yeah, but you don’t support gay marriage and those things do you?” I explained that, really, I don’t care.

She talked a little about being a PCO. She told me that I would run the precinct’s caucus, but “if a bunch of Paul supporters show up, you could loose the vote” I couldn’t understand what that meant. Anything but Paul is a win? Fortunately, my district chair called back to explain.

He said that he was encouraged by all of the new PCO applications, but that he would have to deny any applications from people who weren’t forthright about being Ron Paul supporters. He said that he had found us on a Ron Paul meetup group and that our PCO applications were denied. He didn’t say whether he did this with other candidates’ supporters.

I reminded him that I never lied to him. He acted like that mattered, “Oh. I didn’t really think about that. Most people just lied to me, but I guess you didn’t”. He promised to think about it and get back to me the next day. He did not. Nor did he return the email that I sent the following week. Rather than take a dangerous chance on a homeowner/law student/father of two, like me, our precinct went without a PCO.

So what the heck is going on that the Washington GOP’s representatives distinguish between Paul and a Republican win? A couple of months ago a Washington GOP official was quoted in a fury stating that he did not want a big turnout of Paul supporters because Paul is not even a real Republican (I think it was the Everett Herald, but I couldn’t find the article again after a 2 hour search) Apparently, strict Constitutionalists are personae non gratae around these ‘real’ Republicans.

So there you have it. If the Party stopped the vote after only 87%, my instinct tells me it’s not Huckabee that they’re worried about. Paul came in right behind those two with 21% of the vote, plus the vote stopped in Everett. But I suppose that invoking wrongdoing against Paul makes it a conspiracy theory.

Those “uncommitted” delegates might go for Paul too, considering that a large chunk of Paul supporters ran as incognito delegates, for precisely these reasons. This isn’t much of a secret, so this may be someone’s attempt to mitigate that effect. After all, Esser denied trying to get over on Huckabee, “I would have done the same for Gov. Huckabee if he had the same margin and the same underlying dynamics as Sen. McCain.” I believe that. Would he do it for Paul?

Incidentally, that district chair is a delegate for McCain now. He ran the caucus, so I approached him to make nice afterward. I told him it was a good thing that so many young voters were interested in politics. I also told him I became a delegate for Paul. Flustered, he said that we have only one candidate who can beat the Democrats and that we should be united.

Of course, I disagree. First, predicting McCain’s viability before he runs a national campaign is like calling Giuliani a front-runner before he looses to Ron Paul in the primaries. More importantly, I think that we will have the most statist, authoritarian Republican nominee since Nixon. I think we should send him a message to remind him where he came from.

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Christ, this says a lot more about GOP party barriers being raised than the count stoppage in Washington state. I'm willing to roll with the infiltration/take over strategy of the GOP if this is what Dr. Paul ultimately leads us into, but what the hell strategy will work when they are this committed to filtering out Ron Paul Republicans at even the local level?

goldstandard
02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
These losers make their own rules. :mad: I don't get it that this doesn't cause a public outcry. Is there no legal action possible with more than 1 case of this BS?

fedup100
02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
My eyes have been opened widely to the delegate and caucus process. This is where those who are unamerican have been stealing our votes.

I vow to be there for every caucus in the years to come. This is the "changed forever GOP" that the crooked are bemoaning.

N13
02-12-2008, 01:40 PM
What are the final results??? Its Tuesday, do not tell me that they are not finished yet or have decided that it doesn't matter.

Huckabee's head will explode.

Sey.Naci
02-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Go to the original article and digg it.

goldstandard
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Don't know how good your French is but this process reminds me of:
(1) Comrads, there are three lists. One of them is the communist party.
(2) Those who oppose this list please raise your hands. Is anyone against this list?
(3) Nobody? I declare the communist list as unopposed winner!
http://www.lescarnets.net/images/tintin03.jpg

Banana
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
If someone can verify this information, all more the ammo to push forward that vote of no confidence...

surf
02-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Is there no legal action possible with more than 1 case of this BS?

This was widespread. i know of quite a few people that applied to be "appointed" a PCO but were denied because they had been identified or "found out" to be RP supporters.

But the key word here is "appointed." PCOs are either elected in even year elections, or "appointed" (by a district chair, i believe). That the State GOP turned its back on numerous new supporters is not grounds for a lawsuit, just a reflection on the sad state of the GOP in Washington State. Washington has a large and growing base of people that consider themselves to be democrats. If the Supresser is too dumb to realize this, so be it.

we'll do what we can and fight who we must to ensure that Ron Paul gets as many delegates as we can.

But, as Washington State residents - what we can do is fill all the PCO positions this fall (it costs something like $5 to run for PCO) and bring some sense back to the party platform (i.e. remove the plank about "supporting the war on "tara")

goldstandard
02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
This was widespread. i know of quite a few people that applied to be "appointed" a PCO but were denied because they had identified or "found out" to be RP supporters.

But the key word here is "appointed." PCOs are either elected in even year elections, or "appointed" (by a district chair, i believe). That the State GOP turned its back on numerous new supporters is not grounds for a lawsuit, just a reflection on the sad state of the GOP in Washington State. Washington has a large and growing base of people that consider themselves to be democrats. If the Supresser is too dumb to realize this, so be it.

we'll do what we can and fight who we must to ensure that Ron Paul gets as many delegates as we can.

But, as Washington State residents - what we can do is fill all the PCO positions this fall (it costs something like $5 to run for PCO) this year and bring some sense back to the party platform (i.e. remove the plank about "supporting the war on "tara")

Sad. They let their ship (GOP) sink and do nothing. Let's recapture it.

Stealth4
02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
We need to get this more out in the open.

1) Are absolutely no news organizations covering this?

2) What is going on with Huckabee's challenges?

3) What are Washington State meetup groups doing about it?

I want to do something, but I dont want to step on the toes of the washington meetup groups who may have something going. If there is something they are doing I'd love to support it.

lastnymleft
02-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Christ, this says a lot more about GOP party barriers being raised than the count stoppage in Washington state. I'm willing to roll with the infiltration/take over strategy of the GOP if this is what Dr. Paul ultimately leads us into, but what the hell strategy will work when they are this committed to filtering out Ron Paul Republicans at even the local level?

Their radars are highly attuned to Paul infiltration, at present, being the heat of an election. That won't always be the case.

And surely there are esoteric by-laws of the local party that would govern how a PCO can be determined. Is the Chairman really dictator in this regard? I doubt it would be that way in the by-laws.

goldstandard
02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
TS should start a thread in Washington subforums.

Anyone in Hucksarmy?

Meetups in WA should be contacted.

freelance
02-12-2008, 02:05 PM
These losers make their own rules. :mad: I don't get it that this doesn't cause a public outcry. Is there no legal action possible with more than 1 case of this BS?

I don't get it either, GS. WHAT IN THE HELL is going on? This guy needs to be behind bars.

gilliganscorner
02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
bump

Time for Change
02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
does this mean that democracy is a myth?

(maybe better stated the Democratic Voting process)

You can participate if you agree with what we tell you.

itshappening
02-12-2008, 08:26 PM
we will take them over incognito, GOOD JOB WASHINGTON STATE !!!

surf
02-12-2008, 08:32 PM
As an added bit of irony, most legislative districts have a position within the local GOP called a "PCO Recruiting Coordinator." i contacted mine and pestered him the entire month of June until they were basically forced to accept me. After i "volunteered" for the position i was told that they were developing a "questionaire" for potential PCOs....

it was a pretty funny questionaire

TruthAtLast
02-12-2008, 08:54 PM
The common sense response is "how is this possible? why don't more people know about this?"

Well, I follow this election VERY closely and I didn't even know this until right now. It is reasonable to suspect that this type of thing goes on but I had never heard of an actual first-hand account.

I talked to several people today who didn't even know who Ron Paul was. Another person in Pennsylvania that I was talking to yesterday told me that Ron Paul dropped out and that McCain had already won. They are all feeding from the same media trough. The real wake up needed is for people to question the motives of those delivering the news. The amazing thing is that most of the time this is only truely blatant when there is an election.

But the next problem is that even fewer people know what a Precinct is, or how the delegates are really determined. I must admit that before this election process, I wasn't even entirely sure how it all worked and I'm still a little confused about how it works in certain states.

But this isn't the tragedy.

The true problem is that even if people knew, many honestly wouldn't care. That is the saddest part of all.

Even if you had this guy on a recording, it MIGHT get some press if there was someone prominent enough to step forward with it. But this type of stuff is passed off as a "conspiracy theory" or "just Ron Paulers being sore losers". Heck, even people in THIS FORUM do this.

For nearly 200 years, the people with power use this tactic to dismiss these injustices by painting those who present them as being "radical" or "fanatic". They attack your credibility to a point where it doesn't even matter if you're right anymore.

gilliganscorner
02-13-2008, 07:15 AM
The common sense response is "how is this possible? why don't more people know about this?"

Well, I follow this election VERY closely and I didn't even know this until right now. It is reasonable to suspect that this type of thing goes on but I had never heard of an actual first-hand account.

I talked to several people today who didn't even know who Ron Paul was. Another person in Pennsylvania that I was talking to yesterday told me that Ron Paul dropped out and that McCain had already won. They are all feeding from the same media trough. The real wake up needed is for people to question the motives of those delivering the news. The amazing thing is that most of the time this is only truely blatant when there is an election.

But the next problem is that even fewer people know what a Precinct is, or how the delegates are really determined. I must admit that before this election process, I wasn't even entirely sure how it all worked and I'm still a little confused about how it works in certain states.

But this isn't the tragedy.

The true problem is that even if people knew, many honestly wouldn't care. That is the saddest part of all.

Even if you had this guy on a recording, it MIGHT get some press if there was someone prominent enough to step forward with it. But this type of stuff is passed off as a "conspiracy theory" or "just Ron Paulers being sore losers". Heck, even people in THIS FORUM do this.

For nearly 200 years, the people with power use this tactic to dismiss these injustices by painting those who present them as being "radical" or "fanatic". They attack your credibility to a point where it doesn't even matter if you're right anymore.

How right you are. Most people just don't care. When you look at:

Marketing and advertising industry estimated at 600 billion dollars a year, where they have scores of amoral psychologists and tacticians at their disposal to dumb down critical thinking from the cradle to the grave
Media's first priority is to bring the audience to the advertiser. Secondly, they are a tool to the establishment to ensure that you only get the news they want you to know. I wrote a blog on the media (http://gilliganscorner.wordpress.com/2007/10/12/why-are-we-so-dumb-a-look-at-mainstream-media/) that goes into detail about them, but thanks to the Ron Paul campaign, I have been awakened that they are much more seditious than that. Even here in Canada, they are reporting McCain being the front runner, with Huckabee being the only other candidate.
An entertainment industry designed to numb thought and dazzle the eye (trinkets and bobbles)
The White House spending 1.6 BILLION on it's PR and Media departments.

It is no wonder that people are stupid and apathetic - it has been planned that way. However, the good news is that you are all here. And there are more of you than I ever thought possible.

I intend to come down from Canada with my family to join Ron Paul supporters on the March in Washington (assuming the border guards don't assume I am a terrorist because I support Ron Paul :rolleyes:).

The world needs him too.

hawks4ronpaul
02-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Prosecute for RICO?:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RICO

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

dblee
02-13-2008, 08:07 AM
this is funny. i had a feeling we won washington.

That's fine, considering we probably got the majority of delegates in WA, when time comes for the state convention, it will be all the RP delegates' opportunity to oust these corrupt bastards.

Of course assuming that is when party officials are elected.

Cooter
02-13-2008, 09:16 AM
hmmm. so if someone is considering getting involed in the local party for the first time would it be wise to not use a real name on the ron paul meetups or have your picture on there?

hawks4ronpaul
02-13-2008, 09:23 AM
hmmm. so if someone is considering getting involed in the local party for the first time would it be wise to not use a real name on the ron paul meetups or have your picture on there?

The establishment used mug shots to have security keep Nader and Buchanan out of events.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/