PDA

View Full Version : __My Wife's Concern

fabijo
02-12-2008, 12:56 PM
My wife showed some resistance when I told her about the march. I want our whole family to go. When I said that it is not like we are going somewhere to see our favorite band. We are actually fighting for something. That's when she said, "Exactly!" She's afraid of the possibilities of a large crowd that is very passionate about something and is fighting for something. There's no telling what could happen. She seems to think the riot police could get involved because of the crowd getting too emotional. I'm not too concerned about that. I'm going to the march, no matter what day it's on. I can hardly wait for the event. And hey, if the riot police get involved, at least it will be all over the news. :eek:

MrZach
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Did that happen with the Vietnam War protests? Did that happen with the Civil Rights Protests? People were pretty darn emotional about that... I'm pretty sure this will be fine! lol

fedup100
02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I believe Paul did weigh this possibility. It is now or never. Listen to his message again, he infers to the fact that if we are not successful, the society will break down. The time is now. With that said and knowing this current gov as I do, I would not take my children.

Cooter
02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
yeah. cant sit in the house just because something could get out of hand.

FreeTraveler
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Did that happen with the Vietnam War protests? Did that happen with the Civil Rights Protests? People were pretty darn emotional about that... I'm pretty sure this will be fine! lol

Um, yes, it did. Have they taken that out of the history books too? There were four Kent State students MURDERED by National Guardsmen during a war protest.

Not to mention how militarized the police have become in the last 40 years. Don't go expecting a Sunday picnic in the park, folks.

TuningIn
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
It has occurred to me that something like that could happen. My husband and I plan to be there with a baby and a toddler. I figure us families will be on guard for what areas are more fight-prone. If there is a line of police, we will be given priority for a side-line area to anything that might happen. The police will take extra caution not to target families, whoever wants to taunt police will be along the front line, and it will be apparent to the families where the safest places to be are.

thegr8drronpaul
02-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I totally agree with wife. So let's think of it more in terms of a rally. We're going to see Ron Paul - as simple (haha) as that.

Jaykzo
02-12-2008, 01:06 PM
There should be a legitimate concern for things getting out of hand.

Every kind of promotion or advertisement or anything even relating to this march should explicitly say it will be non-violent, and that anyone spotting violence or vandalism should instantly inform an officer.

It's sad that we'd have to do this, but the reality is that Dr. Paul's message appeals to EVERYONE, including those who have a tendency to make poor decisions.

fabijo
02-12-2008, 01:07 PM

:D Those are the exact protests I brought up with her. She's just too cautious.

Besides, it's not like we are going to be marching illegally. The only way I could see it turning into a huge deal is if some city planner authorizes our rally and another rally on the same day at the same time. I could see the headlines now. Ron Paul Supporters Clash with Hillary Clinton Supporters

pinkmandy
02-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, with DHS there (and they will be regardless) and me not trusting them to take care around kids I'll be leaving mine with Grandma. I just don't trust the security apparatus- the DHS folks will probably have a pep rally before the march.

fabijo
02-12-2008, 01:10 PM
There should be a legitimate concern for things getting out of hand.

Every kind of promotion or advertisement or anything even relating to this march should explicitly say it will be non-violent, and that anyone spotting violence or vandalism should instantly inform an officer.

It's sad that we'd have to do this, but the reality is that Dr. Paul's message appeals to EVERYONE, including those who have a tendency to make poor decisions.

Yup. Just look at the small group of supporters throwing snowballs at Hannity. I could easily see groups among us starting something. In a large crowd, confusion sets in and people will start to do what they normally would not do.

Luft97
02-12-2008, 01:11 PM
My wife showed some resistance when I told her about the march. I want our whole family to go. When I said that it is not like we are going somewhere to see our favorite band. We are actually fighting for something. That's when she said, "Exactly!" She's afraid of the possibilities of a large crowd that is very passionate about something and is fighting for something. There's no telling what could happen. She seems to think the riot police could get involved because of the crowd getting too emotional. I'm not too concerned about that. I'm going to the march, no matter what day it's on. I can hardly wait for the event. And hey, if the riot police get involved, at least it will be all over the news. :eek:

I agree with your wife. She is telling you the truth. This needs to happen before June 3rd so that it will be a political rally for the Ron Paul campaign and NOT A DEMONSTRATION!

Jaykzo
02-12-2008, 01:12 PM
I'd be willing to be that a lot of these protests have paid stooges who intentionally rile up the crowd and try and start crap up for bad press.

MrZach
02-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Um, yes, it did. Have they taken that out of the history books too? There were four Kent State students MURDERED by National Guardsmen during a war protest.

Not to mention how militarized the police have become in the last 40 years. Don't go expecting a Sunday picnic in the park, folks.

During *A* war protest. Which one? One of these...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_on_Washington

DAFTEK
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
If you think your loved one or family does not like a march or some kind of movement just say we're going to a Ron Paul speech so he can speak to us and give us a moral boost ;)

Cooter
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
id like to take my 4 1/2 year old so if people start acting like idiots enough that i dont feel safe, ill have to leave.

rmholla
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
There is ALWAYS a chance something could go wrong or things will turn violent. Every time you get into a car you are taking a risk that an accident is going to happen but yet most people don't hesitate to get behind the wheel. Sending your kids to school these days is a risk too.

I probably wouldn't take very young children just because crowds can be overwhelming for them, not because of fear something would happen.
-

MrZach
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Ron Paul promotes non-violence and peace.
The rally may happen on 7 June to commemorate Ghandi's peaceful protests...

...I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the people there will be very pacifist in mindset. That should be enough to self-regulate.

fabijo
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Ron Paul promotes non-violence and peace.
The rally may happen on 7 June to commemorate Ghandi's peaceful protests...

...I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the people there will be very pacifist in mindset. That should be enough to self-regulate.

Hmm. I noticed that ronpaulmarch.com is listing that as the date. Is this official?

dawnbt
02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm not taking a chance by bringing my young daughter. This is not here fight (yet). She will stay home.

flames2dust77
02-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Hmm. I noticed that ronpaulmarch.com is listing that as the date. Is this official?

NO! RP is setting the date.

In response to the thread...I just think families with children should stick together at the march. I plan on taking my 10 year old. This is something he needs to experience...I want him to feel he's part of the movement because he loves this country just as much as you do and he understands Ron Pauls message. With this said....I am looking to stick to other families with young kids at the march for safety reasons. I also plan on having an exit strategy in case shit hits the fan. NOW...if I was going to be there w/o my child and shit hit the fan....ooooh well, that's another story. lol.

joehollywood
02-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Encourage folks who are current and former active duty military to wear either uniform, or clothing which indicates military service.

Even the most over-zealous law enforcement personel tend to think twice about approaching a group of organized veterans passionate about a cause.

Bruno
02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
The more kids there the more likelihood that things will remain civil because of the "The Whole World is Watching" issue during the Chicago DNC rally.

I do understand your concern. I don't know yet if I will be taking our 11 year old son, or just my wife and I will go.

Pauliana
She seems to think the riot police could get involved because of the crowd getting too emotional.

And that's EXACTLY why we need lots of toddlers and strollers there. The riot police would *never* tear gas small babies... right?

Cleaner44
I don't think there was any trouble back in 1995 with The Million Man March. No reason this has to have any problems.

flames2dust77
02-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Encourage folks who are current and former active duty military to wear either uniform, or clothing which indicates military service.

Even the most over-zealous law enforcement personel tend to think twice about approaching a group of organized veterans passionate about a cause.

amen to that! my brother wishes he could be there...but alas...he's leaving in March to go to Iraq. Nice:rolleyes:

The Tao Of Bill
02-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Just practice your submission position with your kids and hope it's enough you won't get tazed :)

pinkmandy
02-12-2008, 02:20 PM
And that's EXACTLY why we need lots of toddlers and strollers there. The riot police would *never* tear gas small babies... right?

And Hitler would never actually throw babies in a gas chamber or an oven...people are evil and when we're dealing w/federally trained riot control we're talking about a different mentality. They are trained to be them v. us. We aren't fellow patriots, we are the enemy. Just saying...

The Tao Of Bill
02-12-2008, 02:21 PM
And Hitler would never actually throw babies in a gas chamber or an oven...people are evil and when we're dealing w/federally trained riot control we're talking about a different mentality. They are trained to be them v. us. We aren't fellow patriots, we are the enemy. Just saying...

As bad as we are I don't think we've quite reached Hitler mentality...

Winston
02-12-2008, 02:26 PM

1. In all battles there is risk. In all battles there is pain and sacrifice. The question is whether or not we fight the battle or surrender out of weakness an fear. If we surrender, then we deserve the prison we get.

2. I dont think it would come to that, but I would die for the true Constitution, being jailed for such would be a badge of honor. My wife (who originally escaped totalitarian China) is willing to "risk it" for our Constitution as well.

3. We should make VERY sure to remind all RP participants that we are a peaceful rEVOLution. As Gandhi said, "For this cause I too am willing to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill. Violence will only incite and justify their fear and hatred." Maybe I am just too "Texan", but I think it would be much more like a good ole' country BBQ with like minded friends. Good BBQ, good music, and good people coming out to stand up for our Liberties.

4. The Ron Paul supporters I have met are VERY civil. I just dont think anything would happen.

:cool:

Campusanis
02-12-2008, 02:34 PM

Yes, we must make it clear to the masses that anyone doing anything near violent at the march is not a Ron Paul supporter!!
This way we can also protect ourselves from people who might want to stir up the crowd on purpose (whether that's likely or not).

Maybe I am just too "Texan", but I think it would be much more like a good ole' country BBQ with like minded friends. Good BBQ, good music, and good people coming out to stand up for our Liberties.

Might be just me but I say let's all be Texan. :cool:
(Only LOTS of good people)

Kingfisher
02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Our opposition could hire thugs to cause disruption, fights, etc to make Ron Paul look bad. We must be on our best behavior and not react unless actually physically threatened.

Winston
02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Yes, we must make it clear to the masses that anyone doing anything near violent at the march is not a Ron Paul supporter!!
This way we can also protect ourselves from people who might want to stir up the crowd on purpose (whether that's likely or not).

I agree that we need to "self-police" our march and point out trouble makers. Government officials have been FORCED to admit that they were behind violence that broke out at a WTo protest several years ago as well as violence at a recent Security and Prosperity Partnership meeting in Canada.

Its called COINTELPRO and was used in the 60s to confront civil rights activists.

The more civil we are, the better we can fight any possible intereference.

Might be just me but I say let's all be Texan. :cool:
(Only LOTS of good people)

I am not going to argue with that! :D

JS4Pat
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I also think there needs to be a real effort to make this a family friendly event. I'm all for the "college rebel" crowd and even the legalize drugs crowd - but we really need to brainstorm on ways to make it inviting for families to make the trip with children. We need to show this is a true cross section of America that crosses all demographic boundaries. Let's make it impossible for the MSM to slap a label on us - besides Patriotic Americans...

Kotin
02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Our opposition could hire thugs to cause disruption, fights, etc to make Ron Paul look bad. We must be on our best behavior and not react unless actually physically threatened.

quite a real scenario to consider.

Orat
02-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Don't forget agents provacateurs. Several times in recent history, police have been found to dress up as rioters and begin to cause trouble themselves just to give the police an excuse to crack down. We have to be prepared to insulate ourselves from such a possibility.

darkdruid
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Can we raise a money bomb for hiring security?

leadoverdose
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I personally am not going with the intent to start violence. And of course I am fearful there may be some. However, I will not give in to the fear this government likes so much of us to feel. Think about it? What is it exactly we are afraid of? Ourselves or the police? And what are we going to Washington for? To stop this type of fearful state maybe? I am going and I am bringing my family! In no way can me being afraid of my government stop me from doing something I believe in! And maybe, someday my children will never have to know that kind of fear that keeps everyones mouths shut so firmly tight.

CelestialRender
02-12-2008, 03:16 PM

Fair assessment:

Most RP supporters will be peaceful, and will hopefully meet with no police resistance, especially as this is DC (I'm not familiar with DC having very aggressive riot police).

Some, especially the anarchists and those on the very hard anti-war left (pretty much anyone who knows what RATM stands for) will be likely to get a bit uppity, but there shouldn't be anything more than your usual couple of arrests that happen at most protests.

CelestialRender
02-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Don't forget agents provacateurs. Several times in recent history, police have been found to dress up as rioters and begin to cause trouble themselves just to give the police an excuse to crack down. We have to be prepared to insulate ourselves from such a possibility.

There are reports of this. Not sure how much is conspiracy theory, but a little vigilance is never hurtful.

CareerTech1
02-12-2008, 03:36 PM
My assessment so far:

As our economy worsens and this recession is realized -- as things get worse for the average joe - and as more people become aware of the message of this movement...

combined with Dr. Paul's book release 1-2 months prior to the march - with Dr. Paul's distributor including a Bookmark with a flier for the march - we could draw 5-10Million people into DC.

That would make a huge impact on America's future - regardless of any election related results.

Winston
02-12-2008, 03:38 PM
There are reports of this. Not sure how much is conspiracy theory, but a little vigilance is never hurtful.

I started a thread that has video evidence. But the good people at the protest shut them down and eventually got the government to admit they were cops! We can learn from this.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=119353

FreeTraveler
02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
As bad as we are I don't think we've quite reached Hitler mentality...

Kent State, Ruby Ridge, Waco. You're right, we're not quite there yet, but they keep trying.

ladyliberty
02-12-2008, 03:41 PM
We should wear pepper spray proof goggles, and some sort of body protection against tazers and the like - just in case.

I am still haunted by the way they treated those people in New Orleans when they tried to get a seat at a city council meeting!

This doesn't make me feel too good either! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OA5w46R2sg

I am not telling anyone don't go - just don't go unprepared for this sort of malarkey to happen! everyone bring cameras and video recorders!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzUF-tSxUx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXs74KlE4xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEYELcLoU0s

boondoggle
02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Ah, yeah, I agree. They should definitely elaborate that it's a family-friendly and extremely peaceful march. We're representing Paul by being there, meaning don't dress in something Paul would never, don't promote ideas or philosophies Paul would never, and remember to always ask yourself, "What would Ron Paul do?"

TuningIn
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Can we raise a money bomb for hiring security?

I'm thinking any private or volunteer security needs to be left at the camp sites. Inside D.C., we just have to take our chances with the government. We cannot ask people to stand up to the government on our behalf, especially not for pay.

Now, making sure highway robbers aren't roaming our campsites...that's a totally different thing. That is also our responsibility because, even though we wouldn't expect it anyway, it would be excess responsibility for a local police force to police our camp sites.

ladyliberty
02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Do we need some sort of permit for this?

phill4paul
02-12-2008, 03:54 PM
As I have grown older, and my friends have also, I began to notice something. The fact that children calm a crowd. Parties, camping and music festivals became calmer. People who would be trouble-makers were excoriated for cussing or acting like an idiot in front of the children.
Just make sure there is one adult per child.
I believe everything will work out fine. I for one always keep an eye to the little ones to make sure that things in their area are safe. Be aware of those that are around you. You can feel a shift as it is happening and usher the children away. Truthfully I don't see as where this will be dangerous. If I had little ones I wouldn't have a problem bringing them.
That said, be aware that there are other factors involved.
You don't mention their ages which has alot to do with bringing them.
The weather may play a part in the childrens' enjoyment.
Remember that as a parent their needs come first. So YOU may not get the enjoyment with the tykes in tow.
Also with a large crowd you will be looking at the availability of restrooms.
Families with children should be encouraged. This is a peaceful revolution. If anyone here has a different idea then stay home. If anyone in Ron Pauls' March is aggitating to the point of violence then I for one will grab the nearest officer and point this out. Call me a narc be damned!
Think it through. If you plan ahead I don't see any problem. Who knows, someday they may be able to say they were a part of the peaceful revolution.

josh24601
02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Babies make good shields when the Illuminati takes pictures of your face to store in the databanks.

spudea
02-12-2008, 04:07 PM
This is a terrible thought, but we need to bring all of our families. This is about the future of America, and their future as well. What officier in their right mind would bully and push around a huge crowd of children. God forbid something happens, it would unleash a world wide movement. Think Tiananmen Square!

Yes the risks are great....but so are the concequences of failure. Your children will be sent to kill innocent people in unjust wars!

rprprs
02-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I also think there needs to be a real effort to make this a family friendly event. I'm all for the "college rebel" crowd and even the legalize drugs crowd - but we really need to brainstorm on ways to make it inviting for families to make the trip with children. We need to show this is a true cross section of America that crosses all demographic boundaries. Let's make it impossible for the MSM to slap a label on us - besides Patriotic Americans...

Couldn't agree more. For this march to be successful, it's imperative that it represent the best aspects of what we offer America. Each and every person attending should behave as though Dr. Paul were standing at their side. Most Americans will not be at the march, and what they hear of it will largely come from media sources. It should come as no surprise to anyone in these forums that the MSM will be armed and ready to paint us as kooks and dangerous and degenerate fringe. Please, let us not supply them with ammunition.

angelatc
02-12-2008, 05:04 PM

I want to go too. I am hoping to make a week or so of it, so we can do some tourist stuff while we're there. I'm hoping to make it a family vacation.

reduen
02-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Nobody can make you do anything you do not want to do. I will be there, I will take my wife and children, we will not become voilent. Plain and simple...

bcreps85
02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
I recommend babysitters for the kids. Remember, you are FIGHTING for something. Do you want your kids involved in a fight when they aren't old enough to consent to it for themselves?

I believe this will be a peaceful event, but we know from the past that sometimes police plant people to incite violence. Risk is risk, do you want to risk kids in your family being shot with tear gas, rubber bullets, or beat with batons?

lucasssan
02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
hey fabijo,

i like the link in your signature about 'the power of delegates' and how garfield came out of nowhere to receive the republican nomination.

the only problem is that after doing so, garfield became the 2nd president to be assassinated.
:eek:

TuningIn
02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Nobody can make you do anything you do not want to do. I will be there, I will take my wife and children, we will not become voilent. Plain and simple...

I can't vouch for the baby. She bites sometimes.

Computer
02-12-2008, 07:12 PM

Dude, I just envision a bunch of cool people eating hot dogs with saurkraut, music, speeches, t shirt booths, etc.