PDA

View Full Version : Can we organize buses to get people to the march?

MrHellebusch
02-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Some are already expressing concern about travel to the march.

1. Pick major cities across the country to bus people from.
2. Start a website where people can commit to going.
3. Determine the number of buses needed and the amount of money needed.
4. Determine drive times, departure and return dates.
5. FLOOD WASHINGTON!

Who's with me?

EDIT:

I've emailed Amtrak about reserving an entire train to travel from SF to DC, through the heartland. This train would make stops to pick up freedom lovers along the way. This train would run in addition to buses chartered by local meetups, with coordinating information on both at ConstitutionExpress.com.

For those of you that have seen Festival Express, you know what I'm talking about

hillertexas
02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
great idea

FreedomFighter8008
02-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Brilliant! Does anyone have any experience with charter bus companies?

MrHellebusch
OR....

What about a Freedom Train!?

cybloo
I could try and set up a website tonight to organize that kind of thing.

yongrel
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Also, try renting the China town buses. They're wicked cheap and have stops in all the major cities. A friend of mine got a $20 ticket from New York to DC a few years back.

MrHellebusch
02-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Any ideas for a domain name? I'll buy it if we can reach a consensus.

We would also need hosting.

Cybloo.. are you a programmer/designer?

Agent CSL
02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
OR....

What about a Freedom Train!?

I'm going to try and take a train. Safer and trains don't randomly break down halfway through the country. :p To each his own, but I choose the train.

flames2dust77
02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
i think the meetup groups in every major city should take responsibility for getting their members there. it should be a fundraising event that each city has for themselves...but not on a national level. i haven't checked but I can almost guarantee the Phoenix meetup group has something brewing along the lines of charter buses or something similar. you can get excellent group rates on those things. I started looking early this morning but haven't gotten concrete quotes yet because we don't even have a date set. =(

caradeporra
02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
What about planes. I live in texas and a bus ride to washington is atleast a 24 hour drive. Bus tickets are almost as expensive as airplane tickets. Given there are 1st class tickets on a plane, that may make it a little more expensive, but what about chartering planes to washington. More people can fit on a plane...200 or so compared to 24 -40 depending on the size of the bus.

Chip-ins could be huge for those with some extra cash to pitch in and bring the price down for those who dont have very much cash.

TuningIn
02-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm sure we'll come up with a logistics site.

Caravans that are going to the rented summer camps that stop frequently for children...

Caravans that go to the donated camping fields where whoever gets food poisoning on the way has to stay behind with the guns...

There's plenty to figure out, but we need a date first.

cybloo
02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I am a programmer/designer -- I can buy the domain name and I can host it. MrHellebusch, are you online to talk about this further? I have to take off at 1pm for work, but I can get something minimal set up before then.

teshuah
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
as soon as a date is picked, we're working on getting some buses out of MPls area

LukeNM
02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Meet-Up Groups should be instrumental in arranging for charter busses and getting us organized in our various cities... I know our group here in Albuquerque will more than likely jump on this once there is a set date.

cybloo
02-12-2008, 02:48 PM
I just purchased a domain name and am now working on designing the website so we can add meet-up information later on.

Ex Post Facto
02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Woudn't it be awesome to drive to DC seeing peoples car dec'ed out in Red-White-Blue?

pilby
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
how 'bout chartered 747's?

http://www.aircraft-charter-world.com/

flames2dust77
02-12-2008, 03:06 PM
how 'bout chartered 747's?

http://www.aircraft-charter-world.com/

uuummm, then what about transportation once everyone gets on the ground? hmm?

pilby
02-12-2008, 03:14 PM
uuummm, then what about transportation once everyone gets on the ground? hmm?

it seems to that's a completely separate issue that'll need addressed no matter how people get there.

i would think arranging shuttles in DC would be one of the easier logistical pieces of this event.

tmosley
02-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Train tickets are pretty expensive. For a roomette from Dallas the cost for two people comes to $1834.40 for AAA members (includes meals on the dining car). It also takes two days each way (24 hours to Chicago, 20 hours to DC). Nonetheless, it is a nice, relaxing way to travel, if you can swing it (it looks like I will be able to). If someone could find out about the possibility of group rates, I would be happy to get in on it.

ConstitutionGal
02-12-2008, 03:29 PM
A charter bus company here in the Nashville area just quoted me (ballpark) $4800.00 (drive to DC, stay overnight, come back the night after the rally). The buses hold 56 passengers so that's about $86.00 per person. This should be doable for just about everyone. Places west of the Mississippi would probably, of course, be higher but hopefully not a lot more.

MrHellebusch
02-12-2008, 04:03 PM
I've emailed Amtrak about reserving an entire train to travel from SF to DC, through the heartland. This train would make stops to pick up freedom lovers along the way. This train would run in addition to buses chartered by local meetups, with all information on ConstitutionExpress.com.

For those of you that have seen Festival Express, you know what I'm talking about.

burningfur
02-12-2008, 04:38 PM
this will be key.

WE NEED CARPOOLS AND BUSES!!!