PDA

View Full Version : This isn't a Ron Paul march, it's about the ideas. This will get WAY more people!

NoPants
02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Remember that we aren't marching for Dr. Paul. We're marching for the ideas that he supports and bringing them back to the Republican party and Washington. If we try and promote this entirely as a Ron Paul event it will turn off a lot of people. The ideas of conservative Republican principals are very important to a lot more people than just those supporting Dr. Paul.

From a thread about converting votes for Dr. Paul by promoting conservative principals, not Dr. Paul himself:

I've just been hitting the conservative houses today.

Here's the strategy I've been using: getting people to vote for Ron Paul as a way to get CONSERVATIVE representation at the upcoming convention. I have been having awesome results from a neighborhood that has been a tough nut to crack so far. People are really responding to the idea that Ohio can make sure conservatives will be at the convention to influence the platform. Even light conservatives are being really receptive. People are very concerned that this convention will be a McCain-fest and the end of conservative influence in America. I've been very straightforward that we are rebuilding the Republican party from the ground up and the hope just flashes in their eyes.

I know we all still have hope of Ron Paul becoming the nominee, but that's not what's selling out there. Saving the Republican party by getting the conservative message to the convention is selling like hot cakes.

I didn't even want to come in the house to report this, but one of the babies wanted to come in. I'm going to drop that one off at my mother-in-law's and get back out there.

Script:

I'm [ ] from over there on [ ] Drive. I'm out canvassing today for the Ron Paul Presidential campaign. What have you heard about Ron Paul?

The campaign has moved into a new phase. McCain is the likely nominee and we are really concerned about making sure there is conservative representation at the Convention in September. (You have them at this point. They are concerned about that, too. Any concern about the anti-war stance melts away at this point because they are sure McCain will be the nominee regardless.) It is very important to the future of the Republican platform that Ohio sends conservative delegates to that convention.

The rest of the conversation flows at this point. Talking about these kids too young to vote out there sign waving helps keep up the pace when the conversation seems to be turning to the funeral of the Republican Party. Close up however you normally do.

Full thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=117070

We need to keep in mind the same ideas when promoting this march to people who are not hard-core Ron Paul supporters. They will come to an event like this if it's about rebuilding the conservative views in the Republican party.

This is about more than just this election.

matthylland
02-12-2008, 10:16 AM
agreed, they have had huge anti-war marches on washington, we need to get a hold them them.

they have had big anti-IRS marches, we need to get a hold of them.

hueylong
02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
It's a RON PAUL march.

NoPants
02-12-2008, 10:27 AM
It's a RON PAUL march.

Dr. Paul said it in his video, it's not a Ron Paul march.

ericortego
02-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Then it best be pressed as a march for the ideas and not for the Republican party, lest this libertarian stay home.

SJohnsson
02-12-2008, 10:29 AM
+1

I definitely agree with this sentiment. This is not about RON PAUL, This is about the strength of conservatism in America

Cooter
02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
i dont support all the groups that support ron paul. i support ron paul and the message.

FreeTraveler
02-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I think we should use the "Restore the Constitution" theme. Tons of groups out there that can support it when they see where their program fits in the grand plan. NORML, Downsize DC, GOA (NRA is probably too corrupt), anti-war groups...

SJohnsson
02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I think we should use the "Restore the Constitution" theme. Tons of groups out there that can support it when they see where their program fits in the grand plan. NORML, Downsize DC, GOA (NRA is probably too corrupt), anti-war groups...

YES. We have to push forth the idea that the CONSTITUTION must be followed, and laws must be consistent with it. This will bring in all the groups that are pushed to the fringes by their own specific agenda but can understand that we are all united in our push for the rule-of-law as provided to us by the constitution

Luft97
02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Dr. Paul said it in his video, it's not a Ron Paul march.

Maybe you were watching a different video. Because from what I got out of it he was talking about a Ron Paul march for the campaign and comparing it to the money bombs.

Evazan
02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I agree, this is not a Ron Paul March. Ron Paul reiterated in his video this entire movement is not about him, it is about the ideals of freedom and the constitution. If we make this March about Ron Paul we will be lucky to get 100,000 people there. If it is a March for the constitution and against undeclared wars, the IRS, and tyranny we can get 10 times that many people.

Please, Please advertise this as a constitution march.

Cooter
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
so ron paul wont be there?

The Tao Of Bill
02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
It can be a Ron Paul March but I kinda agree that we should refrain from calling it a Ron Paul March. We will catch a lot of minds off guard before they close themselves and we can educate a lot of people who other wise wouldn't listen.

Jaykzo
02-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Yes, I agree that this march should be themed around reversing the downward spiral that our government has plunged our country into, not the election of Ron Paul.

If we want this to be as big as possible, than we need to advertise it to all who could possibly fit under our tent. A Ron Paul march might get 10,000 people out there, but if it's a protest against a dysfunctional government that refuses to adress our most threatening issues seriously, we could more easily grow that number larger.

I plan on promoting this in my area, and I personally think I could get more participators if it wasn't directly themed around Ron Paul. I think a lot more people would be willing to protest for a cause than a person.

FortWorth38
02-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Yall Please Listen to Dr Paul .. On Alex Jones TODAY he said It is about bringing in more people to our movement and not being denied any longer.

This is not a RON PAUL march.

This is a SAVE OUR COUNTRY RALLY,SAVE OUR CONSTITUTION, WAKE UP KIND OF RALLY

s35wf
02-12-2008, 12:32 PM
This ought to be a march representing the ideas of Pro-Peace/Anti-War and a Return to Constitutional Limited Gov't!

Cooter
02-12-2008, 12:32 PM
doesnt have to be called ron paul march but surley it has to be tied to him. no?

i mean is the media going to call it the limited constitutional government, low taxes, free markets, and a return to sound monetary policies march?

Cooter
02-12-2008, 12:33 PM
and if it has no ties to ron paul and is just some normal anti-war march then you wont get many people to go.

pinkmandy
02-12-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree. And we need to be PRO something, not anti. Pro freedom, pro peace, pro Constitution...

LukeNM
02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
It is for both the message and the messenger -- who do you think will be the keynote speaker?

Cooter
02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
think of all the groups that normaly conflict and dont see eye to eye. gays and straights, democrats and republicans, 100% anti-war and no war without a decloration, and so on. seems to me that ron paul has sparked this latest movement. he doesnt own the message because it was out there without him, but he is playing a major role at this moment.

if you just lay all the issues of the message out there, people dont have anywhere to go with it. they may agree but where do they go to support it and move forward? they going to go to the orgs of all the different groups, or one central figure like ron paul to get involed in the movement?

Evazan
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
and if it has no ties to ron paul and is just some normal anti-war march then you wont get many people to go.

This is not a "normal anti-war march". This is a restore the constitution/freedom march and will be promoted as such. I know Ron Paul has a fervent support base but if this is a Ron Paul march it will only attract that support base. We would be lucky to get 100,000 people there. By making this march about the ideals of Ron Paul rather then the man Ron Paul we can get 10 times that many people there. You also have to consider how the media would treat a Ron Paul march. They would marginalize it just like they did to every other Ron Paul news.

The ultimate goal of this movement is not to put Ron Paul into the white house. The ultimate goal is to wake people up and realize what is happening to our country. Ron Paul is one man, it will take millions to bring the change we desire.

Cooter
02-12-2008, 12:50 PM
This is not a "normal anti-war march". This is a restore the constitution/freedom march and will be promoted as such. I know Ron Paul has a fervent support base but if this is a Ron Paul march it will only attract that support base. We would be lucky to get 100,000 people there. By making this march about the ideals of Ron Paul rather then the man Ron Paul we can get 10 times that many people there. You also have to consider how the media would treat a Ron Paul march. They would marginalize it just like they did to every other Ron Paul news.

The ultimate goal of this movement is not to put Ron Paul into the white house. The ultimate goal is to wake people up and realize what is happening to our country. Ron Paul is one man, it will take millions to bring the change we desire.i can agree with that.

Evazan
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
You also have to realize that even if we don't directly associate this with Ron Paul it will still get his name out there. He will be the key note speaker and there will be many Ron Paul supporters there. We don't win converts into our movement by waving Ron Paul signs in their face and chanting his name at Huckabee rallys. 50,000 Ron Paul signs marching down Washington will do little more then annoy people who have already seen these signs at street corners around the country. The only way to get people on our side is for them to learn the truths of our country on their own.

FortWorth38
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
think of all the groups that normaly conflict and dont see eye to eye. gays and straights, democrats and republicans, 100% anti-war and no war without a decloration, and so on. seems to me that ron paul has sparked this latest movement. he doesnt own the message because it was out there without him, but he is playing a major role at this moment.

if you just lay all the issues of the message out there, people dont have anywhere to go with it. they may agree but where do they go to support it and move forward? they going to go to the orgs of all the different groups, or one central figure like ron paul to get involed in the movement?

Thank you COOTER

tamor
02-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I like "Restore the Constitution" idea, but we don't want the idea of "Vote for Ron Paul" to get lost

Evazan
02-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I like "Restore the Constitution" idea, but we don't want the idea of "Vote for Ron Paul" to get lost

I don't want to be a downer but it is looking like the march is going to be sometime in June. At this point all the primaries will be over and it will be up to the 2000 delegates to decide the nominee. There will be no one left to vote for Ron Paul by the time this march happens, which is all the more reason for this march to be about the ideals of freedom rather then the man who represents them.

Jaykzo
02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
You also have to realize that even if we don't directly associate this with Ron Paul it will still get his name out there. He will be the key note speaker and there will be many Ron Paul supporters there. We don't win converts into our movement by waving Ron Paul signs in their face and chanting his name at Huckabee rallys. 50,000 Ron Paul signs marching down Washington will do little more then annoy people who have already seen these signs at street corners around the country. The only way to get people on our side is for them to learn the truths of our country on their own.

EXACTLY.

We should theme it around adressing our country's real issues/fixing our government. That way we can attract more support.

But the whole event will be saturated with Ron Paul, no matter what this march becomes!

NoPants
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
It can be a Ron Paul March but I kinda agree that we should refrain from calling it a Ron Paul March. We will catch a lot of minds off guard before they close themselves and we can educate a lot of people who other wise wouldn't listen.

Exactly! It can be all about Ron Paul, but we shouldn't call it that and we won't be able to sell it that way.

Because the march is being organized by Ron Paul supporters and grassroots effort the tie to Dr. Paul will not be overlooked by the media (or the GOP). Neither will Dr. Paul asking us to do this and being a keynote speaker. The march is about the message... it's about our freedoms and personal liberties... it's about a return to small government limited by the Constitution... That is how we will sell this and must promote it. This has one exception, when talking to a hard-core Ron Paul supporter, then it's a Ron Paul march.

Just my opinion.

DAFTEK
02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I think we can get far more people to come if we did not make it a Ron Paul march and a march to save the constitution and our liberty, having it on the 4th of July like Paul mentioned would be big, He will speak there so i think to get more people to come we should not call it the Ron Paul march and just have the surprise to the world about it being in fact a Ron Paul movement in America :D m2cents

DAFTEK
02-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I will be making a large yard sign to put up here in Iowa and get together with the meetup in my city to make one official sign and promote the 4th July Liberty March or whatever we will call it eventually, but again i stress it should not be promoted as a Ron Paul march until the actual day and let people decide what it is.

NoPants
02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I will be making a large yard sign to put up here in Iowa and get together with the meetup in my city to make one official sign and promote the 4th July Liberty March or whatever we will call it eventually, but again i stress it should not be promoted as a Ron Paul march until the actual day and let people decide what it is.

Where did you get 4th of July???

Gimme Some Truth
02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
We need to get together a large number of people eg. Anti-war, Anti-tax , Constitutionalists, people pissed off with the status quo , people pissed off at the lack of real change/decent candidates ..... have Ron Paul as the main speaker

Generally make it about Ron Paul/Ron Paul's message , but make it broad enough to gather lots of people who may not actually support ROn Paul or any candidate. We'll get bigger numbers and we'll no doubt "convert" alot of people who do attend. Everything we do should be centralized around gathering more "freedom soldiers" :)

The Tao Of Bill
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
The other thing is though ideally I'd love it if every public office chair was fillled with libertarian minded people. However, I know it's just not possible to get everyone on board with Libertarianism. Many people simply do not trust people enough to handle their own problems unfortunately. But if we can at least educate people to pay more attention to the constitution and raise a stink every time a president or anyone in public office violates the constitution our country will be way better off regardless of which party has control of the government.

So let's just educate as many people as they can on why our rights are being violated and what needs to be done to correct this problem and why standing up for ourselves is very important for any democracy. I think the biggest problem we have now is a population that is afraid to stand up for itself. I think our biggest goal of this march should be to change that attitude.

And remember. Try to keep negative campaigning and conspiracy theories to yourself. Only things we know is happening like wire tapping and illegal wars.

NoPants
02-12-2008, 02:26 PM
We'll get bigger numbers and we'll no doubt "convert" a lot of people who do attend.

Exactly.

ladyliberty
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I have heard the rumor that it is going to be Independence Day (July 4th) is this true??

ladyliberty
02-12-2008, 02:33 PM
BTW - I think that would be the BEST DAY EVER!!

NoPants
02-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I have heard the rumor that it is going to be Independence Day (July 4th) is this true??

We don't know yet, but I don't think that's a good day. It would be too easy to overshadow the event with the general festivities. I'm hoping for May 25th.

My reasoning for May 25th...

It's later, but not too late.
It's on a Sunday so we'd have the weekend to travel.
It's the day before Memorial Day holiday so it's a 3 day weekend.
The southern schools (and colleges) get out in early May so they'll already be out of school.
Student's on the East coast won't have as far to travel and won't miss any class' because it's a holiday the day after