PDA

View Full Version : The 7/4 option

parke
02-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Ive been a promoter for years. The only date IMHO that makes sense is July 4th.

Pros:

Its a family holiday weekend.

People will already been visiting DC

Fireworks

Independence Day

Gives us enough time to make the event HUGE

I think we should take advantage of the most patriotic date of the year in our nations capitol. With so many tourists already there it will make our numbers larger and spread our message farther. Also, being a dad and all... Ill get to take my kid to all the national museums and see the fireworks in DC.

I promoted shows for years. If you want to create a buzz.. pick the best date and make sure you have enough time to promote it. Ive handled every aspect of show production. Venue, Staging, Promotion, Talent. Ive printed and distributed over a million flyers. I managed budgets as high as $42K Ive handled 14 flights (believe me, when you are dealing with musicians, you have no idea how hard this task can be) I helped out with 3 day camp out shows. (which were always on July 4th BTW)

The event will cost between $100-$150K depending on what we decide. No matter what we need to make this event big. Im positive that larger bands will hear about this event and want to play it. With our network, we could post flyers in every town in America. Of course create a website with all the information. An 800 number for directions and events. The reason I say it will cost that much is because of the sheer amount of information you will have to print, the costs of gas, flights, meals and hotels and man hours that it will take. You dont want volunteers only to be doing this. There has to be a small group at the top that can take off of work to focus on the event. On the day of my events, I had a cell phone, fax line and office phone going for 36 hours straight. Im not exaggerating. This is a MAJOR undertaking.

Id say it will take about 12 people at the top. Each will be responsible for certain aspects of the event. One will be president (manages the managers), one will be treasurer (responsible for keeping track and paying people), territory promotion managers (America divided into different areas), stage manager(responsible for the stage), venue manager(we need a lawyer on this), event coordinator(to handle vendors, security) graphics/website guy and volunteers to help organize, work and promote the event.

The best part is we will be doing this event free of charge! Becauswe of that, we may land free sound and staging.. or get it dirt cheap. Maybe a printer will work at cost for us. We may land a HUGE band that will add draw to our event. Believe me, this event could very well become the woodstock of our generation. We are fighting for a just cause. We are fighting for our future.

Im imagining the blimp, RP speaking, a few awesome bands, other speakers, vendors.

Imagine if a million people stomped their feet in Washington DC.

Whoever decides to step up to the plate needs to know what they are doing. I would be honored to work on this event. I bring alot of experience to the table in event organization. I have plenty of references and connections in the music business.

I want to be a part of this event. I will work hard and to the best of my ability. This is an area that I could help the most.

Ron Paul said we need to send a powerful message to DC. This is the event that can do it.

Does anyone agree with this message?

dawnbt
02-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Sounds great to me! Plenty of time to save money to drive out!

NoPants
02-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Way too late, it needs to be sooner.

My top choices...

May 25th
April 15th

My reasoning for May 25th...

It's later, but not too late.
It's on a Sunday so we'd have the weekend to travel.
It's the day before Memorial Day holiday so it's a 3 day weekend.
The southern schools (and colleges) get out in early May so they'll already be out of school.
Student's on the East coast won't have as far to travel and may only need to miss one day of class (but probably not because of the holiday)

(I've posted this in another thread where the same question was asked)

Original_Intent
02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
If a music festival is done, you would be insane not to invite Psychophant to perform "Ron Paul Revolution".

pinkmandy
02-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Jeez. It sounds WONDEFUL, it does. But have you ever been in Washington DC on the 4th? If you have then you would know why it is not a good day. At all. We will simply be a sweaty, dehydrated sideshow, nothing more.

UnitedWeStand
02-12-2008, 09:06 AM
But Ron Paul himself stated that this event needs to happen in the next couple of months, not 6 months away. Did you listen to the entire message?

I agree that this would be an excellent date. Such a powerful impact it would make. But, I think April 15th, income tax day would be better maybe, just because its sooner.

parke
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Jeez. It sounds WONDEFUL, it does. But have you ever been in Washington DC on the 4th? If you have then you would know why it is not a good day. At all. We will simply be a sweaty, dehydrated sideshow, nothing more.

Thats funny. I have been to DC, not on the fourth. I cant think of a better time to be sending a message to Washington DC.

We also need enough time to plan this event. Trust me, it takes a few months to organize an event of this size.

parke
02-12-2008, 09:14 AM
But Ron Paul himself stated that this event needs to happen in the next couple of months, not 6 months away. Did you listen to the entire message?

I agree that this would be an excellent date. Such a powerful impact it would make. But, I think April 15th, income tax day would be better maybe, just because its sooner.

We need a few months to plan and get a buzz going. Its Feburary 12th.. 7/4 is less than 5 months away.

CrazyRonPaulSupporter
02-12-2008, 09:15 AM
The sheeple owns 4th of July! And no matter how big the march would be it would disappear in all the other events around the country that day!
We are already down to 2 choices....
See poll: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=118956

pinkmandy
02-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Not on the fourth is the key there. DC can be great but like I said, you haven't been on the fourth. It's a madhouse zoo, DHS EVERYWHERE, oppressive heat and humidity (though naked RP supporters might garner some attn ;) ) and the media coverage is on the 4th celebration.

We need to be our own headline and we just won't be competing on the 4th. We need our own day...

freedom_junkie
02-12-2008, 09:25 AM
4th of July is too far away and people are not going to pay attention, when they are out in their yards w/ sparklers and I can just see some idiot blowing there hand off and it getting to the MSM
:eek:

NoPants
02-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I think we'll get overlooked on July 4th. Too much already going on. They might just think we're a parade.

RonRules
02-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Way too late, it needs to be sooner.

My top choices...

May 25th
April 15th

My reasoning for May 25th...

It's later, but not too late.
It's on a Sunday so we'd have the weekend to travel.
It's the day before Memorial Day holiday so it's a 3 day weekend.
The southern schools (and colleges) get out in early May so they'll already be out of school.
Student's on the East coast won't have as far to travel and may only need to miss one day of class (but probably not because of the holiday)

(I've posted this in another thread where the same question was asked)

Tax day (Apr 15) is really the best. We have to do this early, while our movement still has momentum and primaries are left. Make it a long weekend, bring your tax forms, dress them up in funny envelopes, submit them all at once to a box nearest the capital, make speeches about wasteful spending.

It's also a good place and time for a blimp comeback. It's based nearby and would only need to be used for 2-3 days.

dawnbt
02-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Ive been a promoter for years. The only date IMHO that makes sense is July 4th.

Pros:

Its a family holiday weekend.

Fireworks

Independence Day

Gives us enough time to make the event HUGE

I think we should take advantage of the most patriotic date of the year in our nations capitol. With so many tourists already there it will make our numbers larger and spread our message farther. Also, being a dad and all... Ill get to take my kid to all the national museums and see the fireworks in DC.

I promoted shows for years. If you want to create a buzz.. pick the best date and make sure you have enough time to promote it. Ive handled every aspect of show production. Venue, Staging, Promotion, Talent. Ive printed and distributed over a million flyers. I managed budgets as high as $42K Ive handled 14 flights (believe me, when you are dealing with musicians, you have no idea how hard this task can be) I helped out with 3 day camp out shows. (which were always on July 4th BTW)

The event will cost between $100-$150K depending on what we decide. No matter what we need to make this event big. Im positive that larger bands will hear about this event and want to play it. With our network, we could post flyers in every town in America. Of course create a website with all the information. An 800 number for directions and events. The reason I say it will cost that much is because of the sheer amount of information you will have to print, the costs of gas, flights, meals and hotels and man hours that it will take. You dont want volunteers only to be doing this. There has to be a small group at the top that can take off of work to focus on the event. On the day of my events, I had a cell phone, fax line and office phone going for 36 hours straight. Im not exaggerating. This is a MAJOR undertaking.

Id say it will take about 12 people at the top. Each will be responsible for certain aspects of the event. One will be president (manages the managers), one will be treasurer (responsible for keeping track and paying people), territory promotion managers (America divided into different areas), stage manager(responsible for the stage), venue manager(we need a lawyer on this), event coordinator(to handle vendors, security) graphics/website guy and volunteers to help organize, work and promote the event.

The best part is we will be doing this event free of charge! Becauswe of that, we may land free sound and staging.. or get it dirt cheap. Maybe a printer will work at cost for us. We may land a HUGE band that will add draw to our event. Believe me, this event could very well become the woodstock of our generation. We are fighting for a just cause. We are fighting for our future.

Im imagining the blimp, RP speaking, a few awesome bands, other speakers, vendors.

Imagine if a million people stomped their feet in Washington DC.

Whoever decides to step up to the plate needs to know what they are doing. I would be honored to work on this event. I bring alot of experience to the table in event organization. I have plenty of references and connections in the music business.

I want to be a part of this event. I will work hard and to the best of my ability. This is an area that I could help the most.

Ron Paul said we need to send a powerful message to DC. This is the event that can do it.

This is from a different post. You may want to offer your services here.

Everyone is welcomed to be a part of getting this off the ground. We need 100 hard-core promoters for this. I challenge you to put your time and effort where your mouth is.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=116152&page=7

Luft97
02-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Nice idea but WAY to late. Maybe it would have been great if we had done it July 4 last year. :)

parke
02-12-2008, 09:56 AM
I think we'll get overlooked on July 4th. Too much already going on. They might just think we're a parade.

I highly doubt we would be overlooked.

Its the only family holiday during the summer. There is plenty to do in DC after or before the march.

Families will be able to prepare to go. I couldnt make a march in April if I wanted to.

parke
02-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Nice idea but WAY to late. Maybe it would have been great if we had done it July 4 last year. :)

disagree. you need time to make an event huge. it takes alot of work.

..PAUL4PRES..
02-12-2008, 09:59 AM
We will be overlooked. July 4th is not a good day. Restore the Constitution. Whats so bad about that day..

LukeNM
02-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Come on people! Someone needs to step up and somehow arrive at a consensus. I have a bus to charter! June 7th (6/7/8) sounds good to me. No other events in DC, plenty of time to plan, college people are out of school.

parke
02-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Tax day (Apr 15) is really the best. We have to do this early, while our movement still has momentum and primaries are left. Make it a long weekend, bring your tax forms, dress them up in funny envelopes, submit them all at once to a box nearest the capital, make speeches about wasteful spending.

It's also a good place and time for a blimp comeback. It's based nearby and would only need to be used for 2-3 days.

I dont see it happening that soon. Sure, some people will show up. It will be nothing in comparison to a family holiday weekend.

But what the fuck do I know? I only spent a few hundred grand organizing shows.

Good luck with that date.

parke
02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Come on people! Someone needs to step up and somehow arrive at a consensus. I have a bus to charter! June 7th (6/7/8) sounds good to me. No other events in DC, plenty of time to plan, college people are out of school.

We organized Hell City for that date. Thats a tough time period for families because of graduation ceremonies.

WAKE UP FOLKS. It needs to be on a holiday weekend that families can plan for.. We need to be able to promote it and organize it on a solid timeline.

I know what Im talking about. I put together large shows for years......... you need that much time to make THIS EVENT HISTORIC. Period.

angelatc
02-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm not a promoter, but I'm a person who travels quite a bit.

I think the 4th is a terrible date. It's a Friday, which means that working people will need to miss more time from work than they would if it was on a weekend. People like us that have dogs will have trouble finding kennel space too. The flights will be jacked up....all in all it's going to add a hefty premium to our individual costs.

Getting accomodations will be expensive and hard. We'll be paying a premium for our rooms.

The DC 4th of July celebration is legendary. Nobody will notice "us" there because it will be wall to wall people any way.

It might be a great chance to network and pass out literature supporting out cause. That's the only good thing about the date.

TonySutton
02-13-2008, 09:35 AM
The title is extremely misleading and the 4th is a terrible date. There will be tons of people in DC so our opponents will shrug off our numbers as mostly curious bystanders with only a few supporters.

Late May or June is better due to school being out. This will increase availability of supporters but not be too far off to be ineffective.

parke
02-13-2008, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=angelatc;1258123]I'm not a promoter, but I'm a person who travels quite a bit.

I think the 4th is a terrible date. It's a Friday, which means that working people will need to miss more time from work than they would if it was on a weekend. People like us that have dogs will have trouble finding kennel space too. The flights will be jacked up....all in all it's going to add a hefty premium to our individual costs.

Getting accomodations will be expensive and hard. We'll be paying a premium for our rooms.

The DC 4th of July celebration is legendary. Nobody will notice "us" there because it will be wall to wall people any way.

It might be a great chance to network and pass out literature supporting out cause. That's the only good thing about the date.[/QUOTE

DUh. People will have that FRIDAY off.

1. Wouldnt be that hard if we planned now.
2. Costs would be as high if you booked in advance. (DC is a tourist trap regardless)
3. If a million people showed up with the folks that are already there... wouldnt that show the people there?

Nobody noticing us, thats just silly. It would be a perfect time to reach a broader audience. Remember, alot of people still have no idea who Ron Paul is.. We could benefit from having that many people there.

Mahkato
02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Please do not say "Official Date" when it is NOT OFFICIAL.

Please edit the thread title.

parke
02-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Please do not say "Official Date" when it is NOT OFFICIAL.

Please edit the thread title.

Please go somewhere and cry. I wouldnt want you to disappoint your fans.

Cinderella
02-13-2008, 09:46 AM
i think the fourth of july is a bad idea...our message will be over shadowed by the other festivities.....we need to pick our own day...a day that can be set aside for freedom...i dont understand why people want to set it up on national holidays....we should make our own day...our own national holiday!! fourth of july is no good...i think it will be too out of control...another thing...ur thread title is misleading....july 4th is not the official date

Captain Shays
02-13-2008, 09:47 AM
It should be on Constitution Day

Mahkato
02-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Please go somewhere and cry. I wouldnt want you to disappoint your fans.

What are you talking about? If it's not an official date, but just what you would LIKE to be official, why the misleading title?

The Ron Paul campaign WILL BE CHOOSING THE DATE.

hopeforamerica
02-13-2008, 09:52 AM
If a music festival is done, you would be insane not to invite Psychophant to perform "Ron Paul Revolution".

Wow! That's my husband, and I can bet you $5 he would perform if asked :p You just made his day.

macdee
02-13-2008, 09:55 AM
I think the Forth of July is a good idea. Don't forget that money will have to be raised in order to pull off a huge Ron Paul event. Time is needed to build up a large crowd. A lot of visitors to Washington D.C. on July Forth will see our rally and join us out of interest, thereby increasing our numbers for the press.

We might want to ask Rolling Thunder for advice in organizing this rally. They have a lot of contacts in Washington D.C. with rally location, city laws, and support business for a large event.

Rolling Thunder is an event in Washington D.C. where motorcycle riders go to the Capital on May 25 2008 Memorial Day weekend. They show their support of MIA/POW investigations.

If you go to their website you can see their very well organized in event planning. They might be willing to assist us in the Washington D.C. Ron Paul Rally.

rollingthundermotorcyclerally.com
rollingthunder1.com

p.s. It would be interesting to see if Rolling Thunder would invite Ron Paul to speak at their Rally on Memorial Day.
Ron Paul Rally organizers could attend and see how Rolling Thunder pulls off their event, and then make similar plans and arrangements a head of time to make the Ron Paul Rally successful.

Just throwing out ideas here. What are your thoughts....

Bradley in DC
02-13-2008, 10:02 AM

No, and for the reason you give: it is already taken with permits issued, hotels booked, etc.

macdee
02-13-2008, 10:20 AM
The Forth of July is five months away, so this date may still be possible. I don't think anyone has actually called Washington D.C. to find out if event sights have been taken up yet. Also people could book rooms outside of the city and ride in for the event.

Once a Ron Paul D.C. Rally organization is set up, their first priority would be to check out the dates and provide the various considerations in establishing a date for the rally. I wouldn't rule anything out just yet. More information is needed.

Also consider that another group which has a permit may be willing to join with the Ron Paul Rally and share expenses. There are a lot of possibilities, lets not rule out anything just yet.

MalcolmGandi
02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
We will be overlooked. July 4th is not a good day. Restore the Constitution. Whats so bad about that day..

MSM won't report on it, no matter what. That's my prediction.

kahless
02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
If it has not been said already, holidays are the absolute worst time to have a march like this since the media are more likely to ignore it as well as the general public on holiday.

It is better to pick a weekend when both might be paying attention or better yet, during a week that has been typically a slow news cycle (and hope nothing else major happens around that day). The only problem with a weekday that would be problematic is turn-out. So it is a trade off, either not be noticed with lots of people or be noticed with not allot of people.

flames2dust77
02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
July 4th will be insane. I bet alot of the hotels are already booked. This will cause the turnout to be low. jmo.

malibu
02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
What about Earth Day April 22 - or around then since it falls on a Tuesday.

But what if everyone took off work - took your PTO days or something ? Just an idea.

nbruno322
02-13-2008, 01:58 PM
4th of July is a bad idea, its too late and most people will want to spend it with their family at a barbaque.

nbruno322
02-13-2008, 01:59 PM
An idea that was floating around is June 21, its a Saturday and its the anniversary of the ratifying of the constitution

EvansHall
02-13-2008, 03:15 PM
We need media coverage. The media ignored our 12/16 tea parties. We need the day to be a SLOW NEWS DAY. July 4th is a bad idea.

parke
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Wow.

Nice fucking name change.

Funny how the man himself just told Alex Jones the best date.

Sorry for being Salty