PDA

View Full Version : ummm.... really?

PauliticsPolitics
02-12-2008, 07:16 AM
I don't care what date this goes down, I'll make it happen whatever.
In the interest of analysis:
I think i am reading all these threads correctly...

Basically, 6/21 has a 100,000 person BBQ so we are not sure if we can even get a permit for that day. But if we can, there may be a conflict of interest in sharing the day with another event. But some people like BBQ, and are ok with a minor dilution of our troops. Some people are vegetarians and would rather not be inhaling burning meat all day.

6/7 is the day after a gay men's choir performance and two days before a gay town hall. So there is no true schedule conflict, but some people fear our march being lumped into the 2 week gay event, thus again diluting our impact. Also, some people fear that there will be non-family friendly antics due to the timely proximity of these other events.

HA. Good luck on trying to solve this here!

My two cents sway towards 6/7/8 because I don't forsee alot of lude behavior going on just because there is a gay choir singing the day before. Also, there are events at the whitehouse almost everyday, so there will always be something the day before or the day after that may "dilute" our impact.

I also estimate that getting a permit on a day when something is already booked may be a complete impossibilty. But I am no permit expert.

That's my two cents.

statesman
02-12-2008, 07:20 AM
+1... simple logic.

Conza88
02-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Yea thats ftw.
I change my vote. 6-21 ftw.

statesman
02-12-2008, 07:36 AM
bump

Conza88
02-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Nah 6/21 - the day the consitution was ratified..
DRAWS CROWDS.

Plus - the 100,000 BBQ, can be added to our number. ;o

wildflower
02-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Someone else's post from another thread: (read it, don't just gloss over it)

Here's why 6-7-8 is a terrible idea:
No matter what our actual intentions, any coverage we get on those days will be 100% negative. If possible, the media will flat-out ignore us, because the gay pride events have been planned longer, are more well-established, and could potentially eclipse our own march. If our numbers are too huge to ignore, the media will instead spin our march as a "counterprotest of bigots," simply because they can. You guys should know this by now! Even though we know it is not, anti-gay people would loudly proclaim our march as a protest of the gay pride events, and we do not have the media voice to disassociate ourselves from these kind of views. Remember, Ron Paul took a publicity hit just because a few racists and anti-semites like David Duke like him, even though he finds their viewpoints disgusting and his message is completely different!

In other words, 6-7-8 would be a HUGE publicity mistake. If people like me on this board can recognize this, you'd better believe that the MSM will also see this and capitalize on it in every way they can. They will inevitably frame our march as hostile competition to the gay pride events, even though we all know very well that it is not.

Also, trying to "merge" with the gay pride events and "convert" people to Ron Paul by subverting their own event is political suicide. It won't work, and it will backfire. Let the gay pride people have their own events in peace, without any "interruptions or distractions," which is how many (even most) people would view a simultaneous march.

Remember: Perception is everything. That's the primary reason we're doing this march - it's not just so we can let off steam and feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Furthermore, to the people saying all schools get out in May:
Only colleges that are on the semesters system get out in May. Many are on the quarters system, and they get out in early June (I can't get to their academic calendar right now, but The Ohio State University is a good example). Furthermore, early June is very busy and hectic for them because of exams, graduation (for some), and packing up and moving back home.

June 21st is by far the best date all-around. Everyone is out of school, there's no baggage attached, it will be our own day to grab the spotlight, and it has great symbolic significance as the date the Constitution went into effect. If we pick June 21st, we will grab attention and pick up supporters. Even if the media tries to spin our march negatively, they will have far less ammo than if we pick another day - if we pick 6-7-8, the media will have a field day perverting the intentions of our march. The choice is clear.

statesman
02-12-2008, 07:41 AM
there are events at the whitehouse almost everyday, so there will always be something the day before or the day after that may "dilute" our impact.

I also estimate that getting a permit on a day when something is already booked may be a complete impossibilty.

exactly

Agent CSL
02-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Lol I've posted in the last hour for June 7th and 21st.. Right now, I'm going to stop thinking. XD
I don't care what date it is as long as it's after May and has a significant historical event attached to it.

PauliticsPolitics
02-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I am not against june 21.
i just want to see some evidence that we can get a protest-permit on a day that is already spoken for.

I am skeptical.

PauliticsPolitics
02-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Lol I've posted in the last hour for June 7th and 21st.. Right now, I'm going to stop thinking. XD
I don't care what date it is as long as it's after May and has a significant historical event attached to it.

Luckily every day has historical significance if you look hard enough.

Hey look 6/7 1776 was the day that the Declaration of Independence was proposed. At that point it was called the "Lee Resolution" . . . .

yay!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Resolution

statesman
02-12-2008, 07:51 AM
June 7, 1893 - Gandhi's first act of civil disobedience.

offroadaz
02-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Someone else's post from another thread: (read it, don't just gloss over it)

Here's why 6-7-8 is a terrible idea:
No matter what our actual intentions, any coverage we get on those days will be 100% negative. If possible, the media will flat-out ignore us, because the gay pride events have been planned longer, are more well-established, and could potentially eclipse our own march. If our numbers are too huge to ignore, the media will instead spin our march as a "counterprotest of bigots," simply because they can. You guys should know this by now! Even though we know it is not, anti-gay people would loudly proclaim our march as a protest of the gay pride events, and we do not have the media voice to disassociate ourselves from these kind of views. Remember, Ron Paul took a publicity hit just because a few racists and anti-semites like David Duke like him, even though he finds their viewpoints disgusting and his message is completely different!

In other words, 6-7-8 would be a HUGE publicity mistake. If people like me on this board can recognize this, you'd better believe that the MSM will also see this and capitalize on it in every way they can. They will inevitably frame our march as hostile competition to the gay pride events, even though we all know very well that it is not.

Also, trying to "merge" with the gay pride events and "convert" people to Ron Paul by subverting their own event is political suicide. It won't work, and it will backfire. Let the gay pride people have their own events in peace, without any "interruptions or distractions," which is how many (even most) people would view a simultaneous march.

Remember: Perception is everything. That's the primary reason we're doing this march - it's not just so we can let off steam and feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Furthermore, to the people saying all schools get out in May:
Only colleges that are on the semesters system get out in May. Many are on the quarters system, and they get out in early June (I can't get to their academic calendar right now, but The Ohio State University is a good example). Furthermore, early June is very busy and hectic for them because of exams, graduation (for some), and packing up and moving back home.

June 21st is by far the best date all-around. Everyone is out of school, there's no baggage attached, it will be our own day to grab the spotlight, and it has great symbolic significance as the date the Constitution went into effect. If we pick June 21st, we will grab attention and pick up supporters. Even if the media tries to spin our march negatively, they will have far less ammo than if we pick another day - if we pick 6-7-8, the media will have a field day perverting the intentions of our march. The choice is clear.

I agree.

BigRedBrent
02-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Poll: Constitution Revolution or 6/7/8

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=118956