PDA

View Full Version : Please NO YOUTUBE CONSPIRACIES!

jrich4rpaul
02-12-2008, 02:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryMliyeIDp4

Every 3rd comment is "ITZ STILL AT 213 VIEWS! YOUTOOB IZ CENSERING RON PAUL!!!1"

It doesn't take much YouTube knowledge to know that View counts are not in real time.

Just thought I'd point that out to everyone in case you were assuming that "the man" was trying to keep the video down.

itsnobody
02-12-2008, 02:42 AM
yeah these fuckin conspiracists...anyone who knows anything about youtube videos if you've made any knows that it's very common for youtube not to update the views every hour, but instead every 8-12 hours or so...

alieas007
02-12-2008, 03:53 AM
nobody could possibly know how Google is calculating the YouTube views. Seriously, don't even pretend to tell me you know the time frame for which they discount a particular IP address, how long the page must be viewed for, returning user names, cookies, browser session, etc, etc.

they could throw up any number they wanted, like anybody can say anything about it.

jrich4rpaul
02-12-2008, 03:58 AM
nobody could possibly know how Google is calculating the YouTube views. Seriously, don't even pretend to tell me you know the time frame for which they discount a particular IP address, how long the page must be viewed for, returning user names, cookies, browser session, etc, etc.

they could throw up any number they wanted, like anybody can say anything about it.

I make YouTube videos and I often check up on the view counts, to see that they do only update every so many hours.

So from personal experience, I can say that the count is not live, and only updates a few times per day.

I highly doubt the view count is controlled, or "thrown up" as you suggest. If it were so, Ron Paul videos would not have 1.5 million views.

alieas007
02-12-2008, 04:03 AM
I'm just saying the number itself is irrelevant. there are so many variables. I didn't even mention referring sources or embedded objects. they literally could throw up any number and it wouldn't make a difference, it is all how the query is written to do the tally.

DFF
02-12-2008, 04:06 AM
The delay on the view count is correct; but I remember that Iraq soldier lambasting the war, McCain, Huckabee and KBR. Many comments on that video were deleted. There was definitely censorship going on there, no doubt.

liberty-rp08
02-12-2008, 11:16 AM

4148 ratings, 3392 comments, favorited 1756 times, yet only 213 views?????????

We know that this video was posted more than 12 hours ago because the date posted is February 11. The view count has been stuck on 213 for at least 10 hours.

blakjak
02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I agree. I cringe everytime I see these "youtube is censoring Ron Paul" comments. It really is an embarasment to RP supporters

jrich4rpaul
02-12-2008, 11:34 AM

What the hell does the original post in the thread say?

QWE
02-12-2008, 11:51 AM
This paranoid delusion that every little thing is controlled by the MSM and that they're all out to get us is HURTING Paul's campaign. Ron Paul supporters in general are no nutjobs - but SOME are! Reading those youtube comments... *facepalm*

tonyr1988
02-12-2008, 12:27 PM
This paranoid delusion that every little thing is controlled by the MSM and that they're all out to get us is HURTING Paul's campaign. Ron Paul supporters in general are no nutjobs - but SOME are! Reading those youtube comments... *facepalm*

QFA

Even if it is being censored, who cares? No one judges the quality of a video based on View Count - if anything, the rating matters more. Who says:

"Oh man - that video looked interesting, but only 213 people have seen it. Maybe later..."

Shink
02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Okay, here's what I have to say about this: what's with it when you're watching Ron Paul or 'conspiracy' stuff and the video plays most of the way through but has a cutoff before the video completes? I've heard you don't get a view unless it plays the whole thing. One example I recall is the Ron Paul @ Google vid. It may be fixed for all I know, but awhile back it used to just stop playing once you were so far into it. Is that commonplace throughout all videos?

On another note, Google Video damn sure does censor.

blakjak
02-12-2008, 03:05 PM
since people are still accusing youtube of "rigging" the viewcount... bump

dvictr
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
213 is always the first update number

alieas007
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
the view count cannot be rigged, because you don't know how Google defines a "view". They can define a "view" as whatever they want!

Its like driving a bus by a billboard, and then asking how many kids saw the billboard. Then ask those that say they saw it what it said. So whats the requirement to say to "viewed" the billboard? If you can name the colors does that mean you viewed it? Or only when you read it can you say you "viewed" it.

the "view" count is totally useless & irrelevant.

the Winner is (R0N P@uL)
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM

We know that this video was posted more than 12 hours ago because the date posted is February 11. The view count has been stuck on 213 for at least 10 hours.

It is deliberate......... say what you want about a conspiracy, 3 days from now when this thread is buried and it's still at 213 what will you say then?

Revolutn
02-12-2008, 03:54 PM
The delay on the view count is correct; but I remember that Iraq soldier lambasting the war, McCain, Huckabee and KBR. Many comments on that video were deleted. There was definitely censorship going on there, no doubt.

Comments are moderated by the video owner.

So if censorship is or isn't taking place of comments it's by the OP of the video.

itsnobody
02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
It is deliberate......... say what you want about a conspiracy, 3 days from now when this thread is buried and it's still at 213 what will you say then?

Again...it's VERY common for youtube not to update it's view counts...within a few hours the view count will be updated and then what will you say? Anyone who makes youtube videos knows about this view count delay...

Go look at all the other videos whose view count isn't updated...is youtube censoring them too? No....

Anyone can easily find a thousand youtube videos whose view count isn't updated that have nothing to do with Ron Paul...

liberty-rp08
02-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Honors for This Video:

#1 - Most Discussed (Today)
#1 - Most Discussed (Today) - News & Politics
#3 - Most Responded (Today)
#7 - Most Responded (This Week)
#2 - Top Favorites (Today)
#1 - Top Favorites (Today) - News & Politics
#1 - Top Rated (Today)
#1 - Top Rated (Today) - News & Politics
#1 - Top Rated (This Week)
#1 - Top Rated (This Week) - News & Politics

steve005
02-12-2008, 06:22 PM
you all should watch this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NmgQHYChrPw

zbus12
02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
I was posting comments on Youtube that were NOT getting posted, but as soon as I typed "Ron Paul Sucks!!!" It posted it! What an Effing joke!!!

scotto2008
02-12-2008, 07:14 PM

I agree. It's hard NOT to accuse the MSM of censorship, but it can be counterproductive, because:

1. It sounds like sour grapes
2. It's difficult to prove
3. It stereotypes RP supporters as paranoid conspiracy theorists

I believe in conspiracies, so I guess that makes me one of the "nutjobs," but no need to paint all of us with the same brush.

scotto2008
02-12-2008, 07:30 PM
I was posting comments on Youtube that were NOT getting posted, but as soon as I typed "Ron Paul Sucks!!!" It posted it! What an Effing joke!!!

I think the owner of the video can screen comments if desired.

dvictr
02-12-2008, 07:32 PM
youtube always has a update stop at 213 views... tomorrow it may be 50,000

scotto2008
02-12-2008, 07:35 PM

"Views" for my video did not update for an unusually long period beginning yesterday. I'm sure there's a technical or human interface issue involved.

Not a conspiracy, but as I like to say, "Paranoia is the least of our worries."

blakjak
02-13-2008, 07:41 AM

today = 252,138 views

liberty-rp08
02-13-2008, 02:49 PM
It finally updated!

301,452 views :cool: