PDA

View Full Version : *How to Organize a Demonstration in Washington - STEP FOUR *

hillertexas
02-12-2008, 01:47 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=118730

Step Four - date, agenda, and assignment of tasks

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=119135

Choose a date for the demonstration.

Determine who will be in charge of what and when the particular jobs must be completed. Create a calendar with a timeline including the date for the demonstration, and then work backwards listing every detail of what needs to be accomplished. To have a wonderful cause ruined by a lack of organization would be a waste.

Assign tasks and determine roles.
It is useful to make sure everyone knows their assigned tasks. When organizing a demonstration, you probably want one group responsible emceeing the protest itself; one group in charge with getting the required permits, and if necessary, being in contact with the police; one group responsible for working with the media; and one responsible for signs, art, and chants. Everyone should be responsible for spreading the word to the general public.

Possible Committees:

We've submitted a permit application and are awaiting a date. We are now forming sub-committees. We will have the volunteer categories up very soon. Here is the list so far:

web designer (filled)
graphic artist
printers/printing co.
programmers
forum moderators and administrators
State Coordinators
National Coordinators
Video production crew (for documentary of the event, etc.)
Public Relations
Marketing
Promoters (people willing to help get the word out- no professional experience necessary) IMPORTANT POSITION
Attorneys for legal advice
National travel coordinator
March logistics officer -filled
Marshals (people handling security and crowd control- will be working under logistics officer)
Accountant(s)
Advisory Board
Set up and tear down crew for day of March
Stage and sound equipment
Clean up crew
First Aid Tent managers and crew

If you can volunteer for any of these categories, please PM me. Please sign up, if you haven't already and pledge to march with us. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate.

Food Service.
1 person per 25 should be in charge of food service. They should carry enough water for themselves and a few other people. They should also carry snacks. This is if they're allowed to have backpacks (not sure if there's a rule against backpacks in DC).
At night and morning, if this is a campout style event, they should be in charge of making sure everyone has a good breakfast and dinner. A lot of people will probably choose to dine at fast food places. Food service is voluntary and must uphold to strict cleanliness standards. Funding for food and bottled water should be provided by fundraisers and donations.

Cleanup Crew
20-30 people in charge of keeping the area clean.

Security Personnel
These people will work voluntarily on a strict no-engage policy. Their job is to keep a lookout on the crowd. They will report crime and any agent provocateurs to local police and the rally organizers. I'll say it again - they have no authority to engage a criminal! They are not policemen! They are just people on a constant lookout for crime to make sure the criminal gets reported ASAP.

Information Kiosk Workers
A kiosk shall be setup to help pass out fliers and booklets of information about the event and the local laws regarding public events. The job of information is to make sure everyone knows what the event is about, and most importantly, makes sure everyone knows the laws to ensure a peaceful march. If no physical kiosk can be setup, these people will walk from person to person passing out literature.

Advertisers and Artists
People who make signs, banners, pamphlets, booklets and any other material to help advertise our event. Anyone can do this.

FUNDRAISERS
People need to setup fundraisers to help pay for food/water, promotional material, camping fees, permit fees, and any other thing that needs financial backing.

Local Transportation Organizer
A person with experience should organize a bus, train or any other transport to make sure Ron Paul supporters get from point A to point B safely and on time.

Independent Press / Press Help
Ron Paul supporters in charge of giving the press information about the rally. These people should have a whole book of phone numbers and email addresses handy to press agents and campaign/rally volunteer staff.

On-Hand Supplier / Supply Manager
People in charge of keeping a surplus of batteries, water bottles, notepads, pens, information, first aid kits and everything else that may be needed.

Safety Concerns

I'm looking forward to this march I want to bring busloads of people.
My main concern is this:
How do I convince my parents (heavyset and in their 50's) and my grandma (almost 80) that it will be okay for them to attend. Also my brother has 2 young children.
I'm not talking about appealing to their level of support(that's the easy part), I'm talking about what preperations need to be made physically. I've never taken part in anything like this, so I don't know what to expect. Should I bring chairs so if my folks need to sit they can? is that realistic? Will there be seating for elderly or places for handicapped?
These are the kind of questions I'm getting from my family and friends. Everyone wants to go, it's just a matter of whether it's physically possible. I'll bet we could get alot more coverage and numbers if we got buses and buses of over 50 Americans to come out and show their support.

We need to be organized so all the older people among us will be in common meeting areas so they feel comfortable and have access to anything they need. Things like water, A/C, resting places and to just have some people around that they have things in common with.
Just like those with kids should have a common area so the kids can play together and they can share any resources they might need.
We need several leaders to come forward to champion the organization of every group that may have some special needs.

Older people
Physically disabled
People with children
(I'm sure there's more.)

I don't have any kids, but I love them, so I'd be willing to help out with that group. Older people can also be really cool, so I'm game there too. I don't have any experience (aside from a little medical) with physically disabled, but I'm sure I could be helpful there too.

Speakers and Schedule: Whether you’re holding a solemn vigil or a loud march, you will want speakers at your event. Gather a group of people representing a wide range constituencies—young people, old people, people of color, working class people, professionals. Just as a large number of people illustrates support for your cause, so does a diverse range of speakers. Decide on the order in which you want your speakers to address the crowd.

Also, always make sure you have an emcee who is in charge of the speakers’ order. It’s this person’s responsibility to bring a bullhorn or amplifier and to keep the program moving smoothly.

Running List of Speakers: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=119306

MUSIC

Ok - I would like to officially volunteer to head up the organization of DC area bands and dj's that would play and or be involved in this event - that will perform for free.
There are some big name acts that are either from the DC / Baltimore metro area plus up and coming acts. I have contacts both in terms of artists and production resources for putting this type thing on. - CareerTech1
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=119159

List of Committed Musicians for the D.C. March: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=118727

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=118727
If you're a musician and can commit to play in Washing D.C. for the r3VOLution March...We will have several stages with musicians playing during the day with up to 100 acts throughout the day. Send me a Private Message (RonPaulVolunteer) if you need to or you can give out this email for bands or their management to contact me directly: June7Music @ gmail.com

MrAustin
02-12-2008, 01:49 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=118730

Step Four
Choose a date for the demonstration, and then determine who will be in charge of what and when the particular jobs must be completed. Create a calendar with a timeline including the date for the demonstration, and then work backwards listing every detail of what needs to be accomplished. To have a wonderful cause ruined by a lack of organization would be a waste.

Thank you for posting these!!! I hope people are reading them...

MrAustin
02-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Bump!

www.revolutionmarch.com

Agent CSL
02-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Job list:

Food Service.
1 person per 25 should be in charge of food service. They should carry enough water for themselves and a few other people. They should also carry snacks. This is if they're allowed to have backpacks (not sure if there's a rule against backpacks in DC).
At night and morning, if this is a campout style event, they should be in charge of making sure everyone has a good breakfast and dinner. A lot of people will probably choose to dine at fast food places.
Food service is voluntary and must uphold to strict cleanliness standards. Funding for food and bottled water should be provided by fundraisers and donations.

Cleanup Crew
20-30 people in charge of keeping the area clean.

Security Personnel
These people will work voluntarily on a strict no-engage policy. Their job is to keep a lookout on the crowd. They will report crime and any agent provocateurs to local police and the rally organizers. I'll say it again - they have no authority to engage a criminal! They are not policemen! They are just people on a constant lookout for crime to make sure the criminal gets reported ASAP.

Information Kiosk Workers
A kiosk shall be setup to help pass out fliers and booklets of information about the event and the local laws regarding public events. The job of information is to make sure everyone knows what the event is about, and most importantly, makes sure everyone knows the laws to ensure a peaceful march. If no physical kiosk can be setup, these people will walk from person to person passing out literature.

Advertisers and Artists
People who make signs, banners, pamphlets, booklets and any other material to help advertise our event. Anyone can do this.

FUNDRAISERS
People need to setup fundraisers to help pay for food/water, promotional material, camping fees, permit fees, and any other thing that needs financial backing.

Local Transportation Organizer
A person with experience should organize a bus, train or any other transport to make sure Ron Paul supporters get from point A to point B safely and on time.

Independent Press / Press Help
Ron Paul supporters in charge of giving the press information about the rally. These people should have a whole book of phone numbers and email addresses handy to press agents and campaign/rally volunteer staff.

On-Hand Supplier / Supply Manager
People in charge of keeping a surplus of batteries, water bottles, notepads, pens, information, first aid kits and everything else that may be needed.

statesman
02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
bump/ sticky all of these

thoughtbombing
02-13-2008, 12:04 AM
I have a handful of DJ's ready to play for next to nothing, read: NEXT TO NOTHING being 1 person by train from INDIANAPOLIS, the rest will be traveling there together. Outside of that expense, we'll all share a room.

Agent CSL
02-20-2008, 12:22 AM
<3 bump

Not trying to spam, just trying to get something constructive up here.

CareerTech1
02-20-2008, 08:33 AM
empower the people to do it themselves

no micromanagement

BlueCalico
02-22-2008, 09:12 PM
People WILL BE EMPOWERED, just need to know what job they'll be doing there. Thanks for all the hard work in planning for an organized event.