PDA

View Full Version : Washington March!

INeedATherapist
02-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Ron Paul proposed a march in Washington in his latest video. He didn't say half a year to a year from now, he wants it soon!

So, we need to get a forum devoted to it and if anyone has prior experience with mass hotel/travel accommodations we need you!

http://www.taxday08.com/ is set up right now, and the date is April 15th.

Initially I thought a weekday would be bad timing, but I'm going back on that thought. We want to make an impact right? What better way than to have 100,000+ people missing from colleges/businesses?

MrAustin
02-12-2008, 01:44 AM
Are you the organizer? If so, please talk to the people over at www.revolutionmarch.com about consolidation. We need to be united on this!!!!!

INeedATherapist
02-12-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm not the organizer, but you're correct, we do need to get everything together. It's why I brought it over here, just in case one of them sees this ;)

G-Wohl
02-12-2008, 01:47 AM
I dunno...

I am a little weary of asking all of the RP supporters to leave their respective businesses and colleges during such a busy time of year. A lot of college kids are doing intense schoolwork around this point in time, and it's certainly not so easy for everybody just to get out of work for a few days.

Ron Paul supporters are all over the globe, no less the country. We need to establish a day which, yes, may be less symbolically strong, but more convenient. Can we not make it on a Friday, some time in May perhaps? There will be more people outside walking about, college kids (a huge base of support for RP) will be coming home from school, and a lot more working men and women can make themselves available. Remember that people will likely have to take a day in advance just to travel to DC!

I don't mean to crap on your idea, because it's certainly a grand one, but is anybody else here with me that April may be too soon?

statesman
02-12-2008, 01:49 AM
If Memorial Day Weekend was sooner and wasn't at the end of May... i think it would have be a good time.

we need to go ALL OUT on planning this.

statesman
02-12-2008, 01:51 AM
would Memorial Day Weekend be good? May 23, 24, 25, 26?

G-Wohl
02-12-2008, 01:52 AM
would Memorial Day Weekend be good? May 23, 24, 25, 26?

I think this is perfect. Just me, though.

statesman
02-12-2008, 01:54 AM
Is it too close to finals for some students?.... i think the friday or saturday of that weekend could be good

G-Wohl
02-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Is it too close to finals for some students?.... i think the friday or saturday of that weekend could be good

I don't know how it is for other students, but my college ends on May 2nd.

I think that Memorial Day Weekend is on the later side for colleges to end, but I'm only a freshman, so what do I know? :D

The Tao Of Bill
02-12-2008, 02:05 AM
I've proposed May 17th in the other thread. Tax day is bad for students who are taking finals in April and we don't want memorial day or July 4th because we don't want our march confused with anything else. We don't want the memorial day march or the july 4th march. We want the Ron Paul Revolution March.

May 17th is after finals for most college students and it is a Saturday so most people have time off and it's an ordinary run of the mill Saturday so no one can possibly mistake it with something else. We need our own day. No need for this day to be a symbolic day. It will be symbolic enough regardless of date.

G-Wohl
02-12-2008, 02:07 AM
I've proposed May 17th in the other thread. Tax day is bad for students who are taking finals in April and we don't want memorial day or July 4th because we don't want our march confused with anything else. We don't want the memorial day march or the july 4th march. We want the Ron Paul Revolution March.

May 17th is after finals for most college students and it is a Saturday so most people have time off and it's an ordinary run of the mill Saturday so no one can possibly mistake it with something else. We need our own day. No need for this day to be a symbolic day. It will be symbolic enough regardless of date.

Okay, I've changed my mind.

I'm going to repeat this to every thread I see on the matter. Kudos to your smartness!

INeedATherapist
02-12-2008, 02:08 AM
My school is out the beginning of May, as well.

I think most colleges let out around that time too.

I just think May is so far away! Though, planning is definitely needed...

What does everyone else think about the dates?

statesman
02-12-2008, 02:08 AM
May 17th does sound a bit better.

INeedATherapist
02-12-2008, 02:11 AM
I don't think May 17th is after finals for most people. My school's last day of finals is the 15th and I find it hard to believe that that's one of the later ones. I say that because all the high schools I know get out about two weeks after I do.

Though, it is a weekend, hopefully most colleges wouldn't be making the students take tests on the weekend!

The Tao Of Bill
02-12-2008, 02:13 AM
I don't think May 17th is after finals for most people. My school's last day of finals is the 15th and I find it hard to believe that that's one of the later ones. I say that because all the high schools I know get out about two weeks after I do. Well we're talking colleges here. Most high schools don't get out till June and I think that's too late. But that's why it's a Saturday. So even high schoolers can participate. Though I don't really expect too many high schoolers to travel across country.

wildflower
02-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Let me know when the date is, and I'll work on a video to promote it. :)

INeedATherapist
02-12-2008, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't expect teenages to come out on their own, either. But many of the supporters have kids/teenagers that are in elementary/high school that they may want to bring with them, as well. :)

bj72
02-12-2008, 02:33 AM
I posted the message below on the other thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1247905#post1247905

Anyone know how to get a moderator to combine the threads in a specific folder for this event? We don't want to have 8 threads with several groups duplicating efforts on dates, websites, and event planning...perhaps it's been done already...I'll start looking around more.

Although I like the weekend of the May 17th...right before Memorial Day and July 4th, so as to remind all why we have those holidays...

I have to say, doing it May 10 or 11th could make sense too. After May 11, it might be harder for some to get across country. We do not know how strict it will be on the onset.

First weekend in June also makes sense with most schools being out.

Anytime after the 11th would be interesting if they cracked down too hard. What if people get stuck at airports trying to get out, wearing RP shirts? If the media picked that up, it could help the cause.

So, maybe we need a poll...

May 10th or 11th (Real ID goes into affect)
May 17th or 18th (weekend before Memorial Day)
May 31 or June 1 (weekend after Memorial Day)
June 7th or 8th

I'm not savvy enough...how do you do a poll here?

Another question would be, if you decide to go, are you a student, retiree, have kids, etc? That would give us an idea of the base of those attending.

CableNewsJunkie
02-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Let me know when the date is, and I'll work on a video to promote it. :)

When you make the video, consider including the quote:

"If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking system, there would be a revolution before morning."
—President Andrew Jackson (1829-1837)

Orat
02-12-2008, 02:37 AM
I agree that we need to have it on a day that cannot be "confused" with something else by the media. Not tax day, not memorial day, etc. Any holiday or other notable event will just give the media another opportunity to gloss over the Ron Paul Revolution.

ToyBoat
02-12-2008, 03:10 AM
Probably need to check with Ron Paul's schedule, maybe he should pick the date.

debbie53
02-12-2008, 03:19 AM
I think Memorial Day weekend is a bad idea, because a lot of people make plans to go away then. Whatever date you ultimately choose, can it please be decided soon. Some of us also work evenings and weekends and have to ask for time off way in advance.

Then if we can get a list of everyone who will be going, we could hopefully organize some bus trips. I will go IF I can get time off from work and I can get there via public transportation. I cannot drive there myself, and I believe many others are in a similar situation.

Orat
02-12-2008, 03:48 AM
The date of the march SHOULD:
-Be at a time when young people (such a large portion of the Revolution) would be available to attend
-Be far enough in the future to allow people enough time to plan ahead to attend
-Take place prior to the GOP's National Convention in September
-Take place in a time of year when the weather would likely accomodate such an event
-Be checked against as extensive a calendar of events as possible, including sporting events, political summits, entertainment events (award ceremonies, etc), holidays of any kind, "observance week/days/months etc", etc.

The date of the march SHOULD NOT:
-Be on a day coinciding with another holiday or other notable event whereby the media could misdirect and misreport the purpose of our rally
-Be on a day where some other large news event is likely to occur which the media could choose to cover instead (such as a sporting event, etc)
-Interfere with any GOP or electorial events at either the state or federal level.

Please add to this list as it occurs to you so we can find the perfect day.

kathy88
02-12-2008, 06:22 AM
I have another idea. For those who cannot afford to get to DC, perhaps we should designate EVERY state capitol as alternate locations?

We WOULD BE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wildflower
02-12-2008, 06:26 AM
I have another idea. For those who cannot afford to get to DC, perhaps we should designate EVERY state capitol as alternate locations?

We WOULD BE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Ron Paul wanted one big march in DC. Your idea could've been good for another time, but for this one I think we really need to all get together at once and show our numbers! :)