PDA

View Full Version : OUR Meetup decided tonight! YOU need to RUN for Office **NOW**

ghemminger
02-12-2008, 12:54 AM
You need to run for office !!- GO TO YOUR registrar of voters and find ALL elected positions comming up for election. Report back to this thread what is available and WE will help elect YOU.

Nominate and WORK to fill every school district board, city council position, county supervisor, state senate, GOP postion with Ron Paul Republicans!!!

There is NO ONE for you to follow any more. STAND UP - Everyone on this Damn board should be seeking a position with this damn government so that we may dismantle it brick by brick....stop depending upon Ron Paul.....WAKE UP!

MArching is Great - But every Marcher should hold an elected position in this government!!!

LandonCook
02-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Alot on here are too young... those who are not should run, unless they have some horrible past or will have to deal with the IRS afterward...

I'm 19, and running for congress when I turn 25, but thats in 6 years...

billjarrett
02-12-2008, 01:10 AM
We're working on that here, doubt it will be for this election though.

We are up against a pretty entrenched, locked down GOP machine in my county. As weak as the GOP is right now, I have to end up living in their stronghold :mad:

But, it's in the works.

Kotin
02-12-2008, 01:24 AM
yo ghem, im storming a city council seat.

ksuguy
02-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Our group is having a "What next?" event this weekend. I'm going to suggest this. Nothing too ambitious to start, but I think that having some group members try for county commissioner or city council is a doable goal. We aren't going to be able to unseat Tiahrt in congress or anything, but I think local races are winnable.

faisal
02-12-2008, 01:44 AM

LandonCook
02-12-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm fourteen and I plan on running maybe when I'm 25 idk

I will be running for Senate while your running for congress...

ghemminger
02-12-2008, 09:58 AM
yo ghem, im storming a city council seat.

Awesome Kotin! Please keep us updated what are the details?

You guys city council and school district postitions are a god start - we can also at least find out about appointed postitions

ghemminger
02-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Alot on here are too young... those who are not should run, unless they have some horrible past or will have to deal with the IRS afterward...

I'm 19, and running for congress when I turn 25, but thats in 6 years...

Landon you need to be running NOW for elected postions - it will mut your infrastructure in place so that you can win in four years

RoyalShock
02-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Our group is having a "What next?" event this weekend. I'm going to suggest this. Nothing too ambitious to start, but I think that having some group members try for county commissioner or city council is a doable goal. We aren't going to be able to unseat Tiahrt in congress or anything, but I think local races are winnable.

Start out with a Wichita City Council or Sedgwick County Commission seat. Then shoot for a state rep in Topeka and for the final coup, unseat Brownback in the US Senate (I can't believe he endorsed McCain). At least Pat Roberts didn't endorse anyone.

See how easy that would be? :D

utrunner07
02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Um...not everyone on here needs to run for congress. Thats like saying all Bronco fans should try out for the team. Some people just don't have the skills or talents to do so...and please don't run for congress saying I am just like Ron Paul, because no one is, not a bad thing, but just they way it is. Im going to guess after reading stuff here that there are at most 3 people that post here that should CONSIDER running for congress....

ghemminger
02-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Start out with a Wichita City Council or Sedgwick County Commission seat. Then shoot for a state rep in Topeka and for the final coup, unseat Brownback in the US Senate (I can't believe he endorsed McCain). At least Pat Roberts didn't endorse anyone.

This is exactly what I'm talking about!!! We need to take ALL THIS ENERGY and turn it into REAL POWER

Power to Appoint
Power to allocate funding
Power to cut funding

Turn grassroots support into grassroots political power

phoenixzorn
02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
I passed on an open City Counsel Seat in my city because I'm already on the Planning Commission, and just don't have the time to invest in another position. I am working on Liberating my city however, and while we are moving towards a "green" city for the future, I will ensure that NONE of it is funded by the government, and that individuals who desire to make those changes to a more "Eco-friendly" home do so on their own dime.... or through donations from the other members of the community, but not through government grants or funding.

I am considering a run for Congress in the next election cycle, though I may wait until 2012 to run, just because my life is hectic right now, and I can't afford to run.

Molly1
02-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Somebody said --was it Dr. Paul?--that 28 Republicans are leaving their seats this cycle.

That's a lot of seats to fill.

Do we know who they are? If not, maybe we could somehow get a list and post it here.

Our meetup groups could become the machine of the new crop of Ron Paul Republicans.

I'd rfather see congress filled with 25 year olds who know and follow the constitution and vote with Dr. Paul, then this deadwood that returns decade after decade, leading us down the primrose path to collectivism and tyranny.

billjarrett
02-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I passed on an open City Counsel Seat in my city because I'm already on the Planning Commission, and just don't have the time to invest in another position. I am working on Liberating my city however, and while we are moving towards a "green" city for the future, I will ensure that NONE of it is funded by the government, and that individuals who desire to make those changes to a more "Eco-friendly" home do so on their own dime.... or through donations from the other members of the community, but not through government grants or funding.

Reminds me of one of the few good things I've heard about the huckster.

Supposedly he sent out envelopes allowing people to pay extra taxes if they wanted.. He got $1200, and $1000 from one very liberal donator if I remember right.

Not that I like the guy, but I'll give him credit there, it's kinda funny. Do the same in your town. Send out envelopes for voluntary tax payments to make the city greener.

nullvalu
02-12-2008, 11:03 AM
If a higher office is too much to consider, I'd recommend looking into the possibility of running for GOP Precinct Committeeman. In this position you can decide on local issues, candidates to support and help promote the philosophy of liberty from within the GOP. This is how we take over the party. Some will run for higher offices, BUT we must have a network to support those people, that is why the Precinct Committeeman position is so important. For more info, read this: http://www.eagleforum.org/misc/brochures/precinct-committman.shtml

Stealth4
02-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Your Group decided what? Why do I care what your meetup decided?

What office are you running for Ghemminger?

JoshLowry
02-12-2008, 11:08 AM
A good thread from the hemminger!

*applause*

virgil47
02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
ghemminger, please let us know when YOU and EVERY ONE in your meetup group have filed for office. Until that occurs please stop with the attempted guilt trip. If all of you folks are independently wealthy and do not have to work for a living I commend you for being successful. However please understand that the vast majority of us on these boards do have to work for a living.

Liberty_is_NORML
02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I would love to run for office but I smoke marijuana.

And I have been arrested.

You know, that pretty much eliminates me.

Cleaner44
02-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Your Group decided what? Why do I care what your meetup decided?

What office are you running for Ghemminger?

Whay are you hating on him? It is a good point. We need to take over as many positions as possible. This needs to be done whether Ron Paul is President or not. Ron Paul can not fix everything himself, we need to be responsible for our local communities. This revolution is not going to be as easy as electing Ron Paul and then going back to sleep.

billjarrett
02-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I would love to run for office but I smoke marijuana.

And I have been arrested.

You know, that pretty much eliminates me.

Does it?

http://www.theguyfromboston.com/playvideo2.asp?video=6BvNv7IkF3I

Cleaner44
02-12-2008, 11:17 AM
ghemminger, please let us know when YOU and EVERY ONE in your meetup group have filed for office. Until that occurs please stop with the attempted guilt trip. If all of you folks are independently wealthy and do not have to work for a living I commend you for being successful. However please understand that the vast majority of us on these boards do have to work for a living.

Why would you see this as a guilt trip? It really is a good idea for us to take over and we can't just expect everyone else to do it for us.

If money is your concern, run for Congress. They get paid over $180,000 per year.

enjerth
02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
I got a call from my Congressman Adrian Smith about a week ago (recorded message). Apparently he went on one of those Antarctic cruises to study climate change and wanted to have a public forum about it. I thought Nebraska was quite a conservative state. It concerns me that we may have elected a squishy environmentalist global-warming conspirator.

I'd love to get elected in his place. Can a poor boy get elected to Congress?

Nebraska Third Congressional District.

Edit: It appears there's no Republican candidate for the Senate in my state. I'll be 30 in October, so I'll qualify.

Edit again: I was looking on the Secretary of State website, which indicated it's information was updated recently (Feb 11) but did not have any Republicans listed under the race for Senate. But the FEC shows 4 Republican candidates running for Senate in Nebraska.

GoDrNo
02-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Why would you see this as a guilt trip? It really is a good idea for us to take over and we can't just expect everyone else to do it for us.

If money is your concern, run for Congress. They get paid over $180,000 per year.

Some of the State's pay rather nicely for their State Congressmen and Senators, here in MI its somewhere about 75k a year, + 1k a month for travel and lodging expenses.

I'm getting more involved in the local PTA, and registering for precinct delegate, and am talking to a friend about what the planning commission involves and I might try to fill the open planning commission spot in my city right now. Basically I want to spend the next year or so getting my name known in my community and taking care of my debt. Hopefully things will look ok for maybe running for state congress in 2010.

virgil47
02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
cleaner44, it was not so much that he was advocating that we get more involved as it was his holier than thou attitude he projected. As I said if and when he and his cohorts have seen fit to lead by example please let the rest of us know. By the way the same applies to you. If you believe it is so inexpensive to run for office give it a try.

Cleaner44
02-12-2008, 02:11 PM
cleaner44, it was not so much that he was advocating that we get more involved as it was his holier than thou attitude he projected. As I said if and when he and his cohorts have seen fit to lead by example please let the rest of us know. By the way the same applies to you. If you believe it is so inexpensive to run for office give it a try.

I don't think any of us waiting for someone else to take action is the answer.

I may runs for an office, I am currently in negotiations with my wife. :) She hates politics.

I have not claimed it is inexpensive to run for office, I really don't know because I have never done it before. Like you I don't have a spare fortune lying around but I don't know that it is required. Here in AZ I think we have public funds that we have made available so maybe that is an option, I don't know.

BarryDonegan
02-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm running for City Council in Nashville, TN.

add the myspace account i have made for my candidacy

www.myspace.com/doneganforliberty

Todd
02-12-2008, 02:14 PM
This is the most constructive way all of us could continue what's already begun...Isn't there something like 11 congressional campaigns underway with "Paulesque" ideals?

boondoggle
02-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Guys, try to when discussing anything meet up group related, throw in the website ronpaulmeetupchallenge.com (http://ronpaulmeetupchallenge.com/). It's really, really, really, really nifty and is a good answer to "Eh, what to do next?" It's up there in genius with the money bomb, the blimp, and the march. Paul can't inspire more people if he doesn't have the resources to do it . . . Reallllllly.

This is the most constructive way all of us could continue what's already begun...Isn't there something like 11 congressional campaigns underway with "Paulesque" ideals?

Yeah, I know of five though, two that have been endorsed by Paul himself. Check out libertywarchest.com.

Sey.Naci
02-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Guys, try to when discussing anything meet up group related, throw in the website ronpaulmeetupchallenge.com (http://ronpaulmeetupchallenge.com/). It's really, really, really, really nifty and is a good answer to "Eh, what to do next?" It's up there in genius with the money bomb, the blimp, and the march. Paul can't inspire more people if he doesn't have the resources to do it . . . Reallllllly.QFT

torchbearer
02-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm running for congress.
I feel like i'm competing against a nascar sticker for funds though.
Kinda sad.

enjerth
02-12-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm running for congress.
I feel like i'm competing against a nascar sticker for funds though.
Kinda sad.

I'm thinking of running. It gets me excited, though. I'm gonna challenge a guy who has half a million dollars cash.

If I lose, it's not even noteworthy. If I win, it's extraordinary. He has everything to lose, and I have everything to win. Heck, even as a protest vote, I could give him a run for his money.

Is there anything wrong with running as a Republican against an incumbent Republican? Would that kind of thing be frowned upon in the party?

enjerth
02-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Remember, this congress has an approval rating of like 10% guys!

torchbearer
02-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking of running. It gets me excited, though. I'm gonna challenge a guy who has half a million dollars cash.

If I lose, it's not even noteworthy. If I win, it's extraordinary. He has everything to lose, and I have everything to win. Heck, even as a protest vote, I could give him a run for his money.

Is there anything wrong with running as a Republican against an incumbent Republican? Would that kind of thing be frowned upon in the party?

Depends on how many republican can't stand the guy.
I'm running against a Republican who is a former democrat, not many republicans like him because of that.. so in my case.. its ok.

sgrooms
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't think any of us waiting for someone else to take action is the answer.

I may runs for an office, I am currently in negotiations with my wife. :) She hates politics.

I have not claimed it is inexpensive to run for office, I really don't know because I have never done it before. Like you I don't have a spare fortune lying around but I don't know that it is required. Here in AZ I think we have public funds that we have made available so maybe that is an option, I don't know.

I have funds to run, but won't be eligible for four years. If I started a PAC to help your congressional run, what is the most I could donate? 5k? or as much as I want?

torchbearer
02-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I have funds to run, but won't be eligible for four years. If I started a PAC to help your congressional run, what is the most I could donate? 5k? or as much as I want?

I think as a PAC you can donate 5K directly to a campaign, but you can spend as much as you want as an individual running your own commercials and such for candidates.
You have no limit on what you do seperate from any campaign.
You have limits giving directly to campaigns
And a PAC has limits on how its can help candidates.

That is if I remember correctly.

virgil47
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately the Hatch Act precludes my running for any partisan office. Perhaps when I retire in five years I'll give it a shot if I it is within my financial reach.

Jodi
02-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Hey Royal I had heard rumor brownback was going to run for gov in 2010.