PDA

View Full Version : Airports Downloading your Laptop?

diggronpaul
02-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Seems airport security is now logging on to people's laptops and scooping the data from their machines and cell phones.

Video
http://video.latimes.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?clipId1=2182927&at1=News&vt1=v&h1=Cyber+searches&d1=150900&redirUrl=http://www.latimes.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=flv&rnd=62781894

nobody's_hero
02-12-2008, 05:47 AM
You should have warned me. I'm trying to eat my breakfast. That was utterly disgusting.

Patriot123
02-12-2008, 09:47 PM
...I'm going on a damn flight this coming week, with a laptop. That just freaked me out. Just because of that, I'm going to lock up my entire computer, head to toe.

HOLLYWOOD
02-12-2008, 10:16 PM
It's totally illegal!

Unless this is another part of the Thought Crime or Patriot Act Tyranny BILLS!

ronpaulblogsdotcom
02-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Umm WTF?

nateerb
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Not to shill my own business, as I am planning my escape from this American Dreamland (cough - con job), but I do centralized computing:

www.coredesktop.com

My site is rather rambly like my posts. The jist is we sell "thin client" laptops and desktops that do not contain hard drives, you log into a central server to get your Windows desktop and programs. Your data stays there, not on the laptop.

This is a newer technology that would screw over any TSA plans, at least at the airport. Now the trick is to find a provider of the service that won't sell out your privacy to the gov. This childless, asset-free business owner wont be intimidated, I can assure you of that. The data center where our servers are housed is roughly 400 yards from the firing range. I visit both regularly. But again, trying not to shill here, just wanted to let everyone know about thin client computing. I seriously am afraid of the USA now, would like to sell the customers I have and try this in a different hemisphere.

Conservative Christian
02-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Now the trick is to find a provider of the service that won't sell out your privacy to the gov.

I don't know if your option would work any better. Simply because I'd be willing to bet that buried somewhere in the Patriot Act or similar legislation, there are clauses that require those providers to turn over information on their clients or face large fines and/or prison sentences.

There's also the very real danger of providers selling your personal or business information to anybody willing to pay for it.

I think the best solution is to not store highly personal info on your laptop.

If you have to carry highly sensitive business info and the feds read it, I would be sure to report that to my employer ASAP. A major lawsuit will probably be the only thing that will have a chance of stopping this.

98Tokay
02-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Big Brother flies the friendly skies, apparently.

ToryNotion
02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
encryption is your friend but will the TSA just see that as more cause to suspect you?