PDA

View Full Version : Is it me? or is this the first election year you've heard about Super Delegates?

dkim68
02-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I can't recall hearing the term used before this year. Anyone else?

snpage
02-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I can't recall hearing the term used before this year. Anyone else?

Good question. I've never heard of a super delegate either...

billjarrett
02-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I've heard them mentioned before, but not significantly like this year. They were pretty much a concept the talking heads would talk about to fill time between significant news during primary elections.

Banana
02-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Been around, can't comment on 'superdelegate' term itself but the concept pretty has been around for long time.

I still am disturbed by the fact that Democrats have 700+ superdelegates.

garrettwombat
02-12-2008, 12:10 AM
i think only the democrats have them... im almost positive actually.

DahuiHeeNalu
02-12-2008, 12:12 AM
This is my first year of seeing and knowing alot...

Banana
02-12-2008, 12:13 AM
No. Republicans have them as well, but not as much. 300 or so? Don't remember off the top of head.

The difference is that Dems invites all officials, congressmen, governors and so on, to their convention and they make up the bulk of superdelegates. On R's side, I believe it's mostly some party official and certain delegates from states (they seem to have two set of delegates; at-large delegates which are usually bound, and CD (congressional district?) delegates which are sometimes unbound) and those are usually the 'superdelegate'.

Maybe wiki will have more informaiton.

billjarrett
02-12-2008, 12:16 AM
No. Republicans have them as well, but not as much. 300 or so? Don't remember off the top of head.

The difference is that Dems invites all officials, congressmen, governors and so on, to their convention and they make up the bulk of superdelegates. On R's side, I believe it's mostly some party official and certain delegates from states (they seem to have two set of delegates; at-large delegates which are usually bound, and CD (congressional district?) delegates which are sometimes unbound) and those are usually the 'superdelegate'.

Maybe wiki will have more informaiton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_delegate

jkm1864
02-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Sounds like a wild trump card to steal and election.