PDA

View Full Version : What can delegates do at the National Convention?

Banana
02-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I understand that delegates can shape the party by adopting platforms, and the likes. This made me wonder whether we would want to put forth (wherever possible) our supporters as delegates for other candidates, not for a brokered convention but rather to effect a change in the party.

Just exactly what they do? For example, can delegates move a motion to reform the voting system? What about setting stronger incentives for grassroot efforts over cronyism?

Addressing those would make it much easier for future Ron Pauls to pick up the nomination and keep the likes of McCains shut out, no?

nate895
02-11-2008, 11:31 PM
They can do all those things on the rules committee.

If this thing goes brokered, expect there to be a lot of focus on the rules committee, because everyone will assume that the delegates would work to prevent it from happening again.

I think Ron Paul people should say that only states that hold caucuses should count and that Washington should get the right to go first.

Banana
02-11-2008, 11:40 PM
They can do all those things on the rules committee.

But do the delegates get to be on the committee? Or at least have the power to form a committee and name who will be the member to accomplish such goals?

That's more important and would, like those in Alaska GOP, carry forward the message in which so-called 'stealth delegates' would make more sense.

Banana
02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Throwing few more ideas:

Adopting an noninterventionism foreign policy in spite of what McCain may say (if he is the nominee), and to make McCain stick to it, put forth sanctions on him (e.g. he will be ineligible to run for the 2nd term)?

Can delegates do those? I'd like to know that.

klamath
02-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Delegates could put the plank in the platform about nonintervention but unless we had enough delegates we couldn't get it passed. They could say republicans could only run one term but that would never pass and would not be binding. Our delegates could probably help swing some minor changes but we need a lot more to get other large changes.

nate895
02-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Delegates could put the plank in the platform about nonintervention but unless we had enough delegates we couldn't get it passed. They could say republicans could only run one term but that would never pass and would not be binding. Our delegates could probably help swing some minor changes but we need a lot more to get other large changes.

No, we are planning on having at least 1,191 sleeper delegates, enough to get anything passed.

Banana
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Right, and that's where I can see stealth delegates making most sense, not for a brokered convention but to push real changes in Republicans.

But the problem is I don't know just exactly what they can do?

I'd love it if we were able to pass resolution or whatever basically chaining the nominee to Ron Paul's platform claiming a victory. :D

(Geez, do I sound hypocritical for wanting to chaining the message of liberty and freedom to a nominee who's opposed to it?)

I understand that in 2000, Bush promised a humble foreign policy, but not sure if that was an official plank. If it was, the fact that Bush ignored it should have had resulted in sanctions (going in Aghaninstan was understandable, but Iraq?) somehow.

nate895
02-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Right, and that's where I can see stealth delegates making most sense, not for a brokered convention but to push real changes in Republicans.

But the problem is I don't know just exactly what they can do?

I'd love it if we were able to pass resolution or whatever basically chaining the nominee to Ron Paul's platform claiming a victory. :D

(Geez, do I sound hypocritical for wanting to chaining the message of liberty and freedom to a nominee who's opposed to it?)

I understand that in 2000, Bush promised a humble foreign policy, but not sure if that was an official plank. If it was, the fact that Bush ignored it should have had resulted in sanctions (going in Aghaninstan was understandable, but Iraq?) somehow.

Because the GOP is a major party, you do not have to follow the platform, in fact the RNC is bound to the will of the President to support their policies.

Banana
02-12-2008, 04:06 PM
WTF?

You're telling me that nominee (assuming the nominee wins POTUS) gets to be a tinhat dictator?

Is that a party rule or a law?

Just... WTF?

nate895
02-12-2008, 05:40 PM
WTF?

You're telling me that nominee (assuming the nominee wins POTUS) gets to be a tinhat dictator?

Is that a party rule or a law?

Just... WTF?

If you go to the RNC website somewhere, I forgot where exactly, you will find that its charge is to support the policies of the current GOP President, or to oppose the policies of a non-GOP President.

Banana
02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
RNC has its bylaws listed, but nothing relevant to being bound to nominee's policies if they are POTUS or opposed to the opponent's policy, I'll have to search more carefully (and besides, I can now read the by-laws to see what we can do here).

That said, if this is just a party rule, I'd definitely want to strike this. This explains so much why we're in this position.

POTUS never was intended to be a head of state, a leader in same sense of a king where people pledge allegiance. POTUS should be more of an administrator, bound to the Constitution first, then the will of people second. It should be the grassroots giving the directives, not the other way around.

This rule definitely has to go.

Xenophage
02-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm interested in possibly changing the party platform similar to what we're doing here in Alaska. We'll see.

BlueCalico
02-22-2008, 11:12 PM
A 2/3 vote at the State Conventions can overturn GOP rules. STUDY and LEARN - Google "[your state] Republican Convention".

Matt Collins
05-31-2008, 12:49 PM
What can the delegates do?

Drink and party!

rp4vp
05-31-2008, 09:59 PM
What can delegates do?

They can choose the GOP Vice Presidential nominee -- regardless of who John McCain wants it to be!

Go to the Delegates for Ron Paul for Vice President (http://www.delegatesforronpaul.com/) site, click on "National Convention," and read exactly how we can elect Ron Paul at the national convention!