PDA

View Full Version : RP CNN YouTube Debate!

rp4prez
08-10-2007, 09:42 PM
So I'm going to put this out there in hopes that someone has the means to make this question for the candidates. What does each of them think of the draft? Since they are all pro war and pro nation building that might be interesting don't you think? Especially since I know RP would be and is against the draft. Talk about tons of people coming to his side of the asile to vote for him. :)

Will
08-10-2007, 09:49 PM
When discussing the draft, I think that it's important to distinguish between a draft to support a foreign war such as Iraq and to support a war that is a result of a direct attack on the United States (such as Perl Harbor).

As a former soldier, I firmly believe inthe draft when it's needed to fight against true enemies of the United States in an all-out war. Furthermore, I believe that serving your country is absolutely the right thing to do in times such as WWII.

I do not however support the draft to for nation building and/or meddling in foreign affairs.

jblosser
08-10-2007, 10:00 PM
They will all say that our armed services need to remain voluntary, because anything else is suicide.

Then they'll support a draft anyway.

As for the notion of a draft for defense of our own shores: if the American people are such slobs they won't voluntarily defend themselves, what exactly are you defending by forcing them to do it?

Will
08-10-2007, 10:03 PM
These days, we are surrounded by cowards. I sometimes thin that, even if we were fighting an all-out war on our own land, there would be many that would run to Canada rather than stand and fight.

Mind you, as someone that volunteered (airborne infantry), I would despise having to depend on a coward that had to be drafted to fight beside me.

ctb619
08-10-2007, 10:06 PM
If there is an imminent, existential threat to the United States I don't think we'll have trouble finding volunteers. It's these unconstitutional, overseas adventures that get us into trouble with recruiting and retention.

Alabama Supporter
08-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Here are a couple of my suggestions of questions:

1. Can you say today we are winning the 'war on terror' with OBL on the loose, al quaeda is growing, terrorist attacks have increased on our allies, we have lost more troops than died on 9/11, and so on.....?

2. As american citizens, we have now been subjected to wireless wiretaps, the patriot act, national id, guantanimo.....How many more civil liberties should we expect to trade for "safety" in your administration?

libertarianguy
08-10-2007, 10:07 PM
mph

0zzy
08-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I dont trust a draft. When they think Iraq is a threat to our national security, pshh.