PDA

View Full Version : I always thought RP would run as Independent

meg44
02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
if he didn't get the Republican nomination. Personally, I think he has a good chance of making it as an independent. Yes, I know no other independent has ever gotten very far, but RP has done such an amazing amount of leg work and developed an awesome volunteer base; I feel it's very different this time. My college age boys tell me the campuses are mobilizing; for the first time since Vietnam kids are seriously looking into a Presidential election. The colleges alone could propel RP to a win.

Then I went to his website and saw he has announced he will not run as an independent. Man, I'm depressed. Sure, it would be a shame for him to lose his Congressional seat, but in my mind, the risk is well worth it. If we are left with a choice of McCain or Hillary half the (already mobilized voters in this nation) won't even bother to vote. Is there ANY way to convince RP to carry this on to an Independent run?

AFM
02-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Fuck.

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-11-2008, 07:41 PM
if he didn't get the Republican nomination. Personally, I think he has a good chance of making it as an independent. Yes, I know no other independent has ever gotten very far, but RP has done such an amazing amount of leg work and developed an awesome volunteer base; I feel it's very different this time. My college age boys tell me the campuses are mobilizing; for the first time since Vietnam kids are seriously looking into a Presidential election. The colleges alone could propel RP to a win.

Then I went to his website and saw he has announced he will not run as an independent. Man, I'm depressed. Sure, it would be a shame for him to lose his Congressional seat, but in my mind, the risk is well worth it. If we are left with a choice of McCain or Hillary half the (already mobilized voters in this nation) won't even bother to vote. Is there ANY way to convince RP to carry this on to an Independent run?

For now, I suggest going to www.ronpaulwhitehouse.com and pledging any support you would give to an independent run. Then, leave it at that for now. Though I also support an independent campaign if it becomes clear McCain has a majority of the delegates, we should wait until that happens, and definitely no earlier than March 4th. Let Dr. Paul win his Congressional primary, and then take a fresh look at the issue.

I know his reluctance makes such a run unlikely, but I believe if enough people are demanding it by summer, there's at least a chance he will cave to popular demand.

pacelli
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
The only way Ron would run as an independent is if some billionaire came forward as the front runner, ran on his platform, footed the entire bill, and gave Ron the VP slot.

In other words, Ron isn't going to be running as an independent.

hueylong
02-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I think one issue is that Ron wants to win his Congressional primary on March 4th. Any independent or 3rd party announcement would jeopardize that pretty quickly.

Tratzman
02-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Technically running as an Independent is not running 'Third Party'. Is this your guys' interpretation? Ron has said he's ruled out running Third Party but does this include not running as an Independent as well?

ambiguousscion
02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
The whole point is that RP is running as a Republican, end of story.

berrybunches
02-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Plus, you can't be running for the GOP nomination while saying you are planning on going indy at the same time...it woudl make him look like he expects to lose.
In order to win you have to sound confident because if you don't have confidence in yourself no one else will have it in you.

libertytalklive
02-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Even if he doesn't run, we can write Ron Paul in (http://www.write-in-ron-paul.com/).

We need to make a statement. A few million write-in votes for Ron Paul sure would send a message.

This campaign is about awareness. Awareness of the constitutional limits of our government, and the constitutional movement.

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Even if he doesn't run, we can write Ron Paul in (http://www.write-in-ron-paul.com/).

We need to make a statement. A few million write-in votes for Ron Paul sure would send a message.

This campaign is about awareness. Awareness of the constitutional limits of our government, and the constitutional movement.

It wouldn't make any statement, since write-in votes aren't counted unless they are officially filed to be counted in each state BY the write-in candidate. I highly doubt Ron Paul would do this if he truly can't even be bothered to place his name on the ballot as an independent or third party candidate. I'm still hoping to convince him otherwise.

Personally, I'll never write him in, since it's the total equivalent of throwing your vote down the toilet. You might as well write in Mickey Mouse or Cthulhu, since those register just as much as a write in for Ron Paul would (they wouldn't). The best tactic is to find an acceptable third party candidate to vote for. They're already on the ballot and the votes do register.

Unless Ron Paul could be convinced to file in each state as a write-in candidate so it's actually counted, it is a total waste.