PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ron Paul's healthcare plan

biles1234
02-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I have looked into and understand why Ron Paul's stances on many issues are better than the other candidates, but I am still a little unconvinced on healthcare. I'm an 18-year old college freshman without much a background in economics and such so any insight into this would be appreciated.

I have gathered that a socialized healthcare system does not provide options; is in essence a government monopoly. Therefore, there are lack of choices for the consumer and apparently because of lack of competition prices go up.

Dr. Paul claims that Canadians often come over to the US because quality of healthcare here is better. However, he also claims that Americans go to Canada to buy drugs.

A few questions...

If Canada has a socialized healthcare system why are their medicines cheaper??

How would Ron Paul's plan to privitize healthcare and keep the gov't out of it lower prices and take away the control that insurance and pharamceutical companies currently have on the system??

I've seen Sicko (LOL) and listened to socialized medicine arguments and have seen pros and cons from both sides. Overall, can somebody give a broad overview of the benefits of a free market system over a socialized system??

Thanks!

Cryptoman
02-11-2008, 10:15 PM
The reason healthcare costs are so high is that the person receiving the care is not the same person who is directly paying. This is true whether the third party payer is an insurance company, an employer or the government. The true cost of healthcare in a socialized medicine system is hidden due to the expropriation from taxpayers. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.

apc3161
02-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Also, keep in mind that we don't have privatized healthcare in this country. The corporations spend a lot of money such that medicare, medicaid, and other health laws are in their favor. My dad is a doctor and all he ever talks about is how much these federal programs get ripped off. For instance, you'd think since the federal government is such a bulk purchaser of medicine, they would get some kind of discounts right? WRONG.

Also, the incentives now by law are for individuals to get health care through their employees. Thus employees are afraid of losing their jobs because they would lose their health care. That is another law written in the books that helps big corporations. In a free market, health care would be cheaper as a result of competition.