PDA

View Full Version : Brokered Confusion

spacehabitats
02-11-2008, 06:53 PM
I sent the following email to Daniel McCarthy at

"I am a precinct captain and delegate in Iowa.
I am concerned about the large number of comments/posts on a number of websites/forums concerning the likelihood of a "brokered" convention. This is a very complex issue and I am afraid that there has been much confusion and disinformation spread among the grassroots supporters. For example, some are suggesting that to optimize Ron Paul's chances for nomination we should all vote for Mike Huckabee?!? As absurd as some of these ideas are, they are causing some to question the more traditional (and rational) techniques of canvassing and get-out-the-vote that would "merely" improve his popular vote.

Could we please have a statement by Dr. Paul clearing this up?
It would not have to be very complicated, just a statement of the obvious, that we should all be disseminating Ron Paul's message and urging as many as possible to vote FOR HIM!"

I don't know if we will get any response, but until Ron Paul himself tells us to do something as risky as voting for someone else we need to quit trying to game the system and DO THE WORK!

Jeremy
02-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I only saw a few people talking about a deal with Huck's Army or where we vote for Huckabee... it's not going to happen though. No offense to anyone, but it's just a very bad idea.

AlexMerced
02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I only saw a few people talking about a deal with Huck's Army or where we vote for Huckabee... it's not going to happen though. No offense to anyone, but it's just a very bad idea.

yeah, I don't thin we should vote for Huckabee, though I won't say his recent success isn't to our benefit. But we should still focus of getting OUR delegates in the meantime.

BuddyRey
02-11-2008, 07:07 PM
The only scenario in which I would be even mildly persuaded to vote for Mike Huckabee is if he or one of his brainwashed followers put a handgun to my head.

JordanQ72
02-11-2008, 07:08 PM
But we should still focus of getting OUR delegates in the meantime.

Which is hard to do in a winner take all state. As it stands, the difference between McCain and Huckabee in Virginia at least is looking to be less than the number of votes Paul is looking to get.

Avalon
02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
No offense to anyone, but it's just a very bad idea. How so? Improving the chances of a brokered convention isn't a bad thing, is it? I don't think I could do it, but I am recommending others in VA/DC to consider doing or convincing others to do so.

Jeremy
02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
How so? Improving the chances of a brokered convention isn't a bad thing, is it? I don't think I could do it, but I am recommending others in VA/DC to consider doing or convincing others to do so.

You can't tell people who to vote for.

LibertyEagle
02-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Daniel said he was going to come over here tonight and clear this confusion up. It is my understanding that we should be voting for Ron Paul, but I requested that someone from the campaign come over here and make an official statement.

ziggrl
02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I won't vote for any of these fools if not Ron Paul. Vote Libertarian.

Madsci30
02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Seriously if you have not done the canvassing in your precinct you are not a real RP supporter! It only takes a couple of days to get your precinct done!

It has been proven to me over and over state by state that if you go and speak with your neighbors we stand the best chance. Or a RP call center finding supporters, then visit the supporters to get them registered and informed.

Its all in how you approach them, we found this to be the best yet, plus it doesn't give away our strategy.

Go door to door. Don't wear RP gear. Knock. Hand them some RP info (we use a general slim jim and a info sheet). Ask them what they want from their next president (don't talk Ron Paul yet just let them try to read and answer questions), get them to answer enough questions about the economy and war to convince you that they would be an RP supporter or possible supporter.

You can ask questions like:
1. What would you want the next president to do about the economy?
2. What would you want the next president to do about the war?
3. What about illegal immigration?
4. How do you feel about abortion?

If they are a supporter:
Get all their contact info, register them to vote and inform them about the states election process. Call and Make sure these people get to the important locations on the day.

If they are not an RP supporter:
Don't help them with anything, just let them keep the info and tell them to have a nice day.

We used this strategy a lot in WA. and we had a guy from Nevada with us and he said that they used the same strategy! What does that tell you . MOVE!! MOVE!! MOVE!!

BlueCalico
02-22-2008, 11:26 PM
THE CONVENTION DOES NOT HAVE TO BE BROKERED! We can overturn Rules at the State Conventions. Google - [your state] Republican Convention. Look for your state information at ronpaul2008.com, States.

STUDY and LEARN!

Matt Collins
06-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Oh crikey - I've gone crosseyed

1776Patriot
06-02-2008, 03:50 PM
A friend from our Idaho RP meetup sent this out to our group. Is this accurate information?

I have heard mention of some voters writing in Ron Paul's name this November. DO NOT DO IT! Unless Paul has filed with the Secretary of State an Intent to be a Write-In Candidate, your vote will not be counted and, literally, you are throwing away your vote. I really hoped Paul would quit the GOP and run as an independent this November (what little I did to encourage this was strongly condemned by members of Paul's campaign), but Paul does not "have the stomach for it" (his own words) and he is passing up on a golden opportunity. Voting for Paul after South Dakota and New Mexico vote Tuesday is no longer an option for any citizen. It is time we start seriously considering which General Election candidate to support. There are only 5 months left to do what is needed for a good showing.

xxx

P.S. Just a note for everyone who is thinking of sticking with Paul through the Republican National Convention: This would be a tactical error. The GOP convention is in September and, unless McCain dies between now and then, he will be the nominee. Waiting until the inevitable happens would only leave us one and a half months to campaign for an alternative. It's best to acknowledge reality (which Paul did in practically suspending his campaign) and start now to ensure individual rights is represented with force for the election.