PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul SHOULD finish Second

Sematary
08-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Let's face it - Mitt bought and paid for the number one spot. So that leaves everyone else. Guiliani and McCain didn't participate - they won't get many votes.
Tancredo?
Huckabee?
Brownback?
Thompson?
They'll all finish behind Ron.

When it comes right down to it - If Guiliani and McCain had played along they probably would have finished second and third behind Romney. They didn't, so I expect Ron Paul to take the next spot.

FreedomLover
08-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of 6th or 5th. Maybe even 4th.

But yeah, getting second would be pretty great. I'll be hoping for a finish like that. :cool:

jj111
08-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Whatever the outcome, Ron Paul's campaign will continue no matter what. That is not true for all the other candidates.

yongrel
08-10-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm hoping for a top 6 finish. Considering how little time and money has been invested by the RP campaign in Iowa, top 6 would be great.

ShaneC
08-10-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm yearning for 1st.

I'll settle for anything more than last.

I'm hoping RP places without being slammed by the Ministry of Truth. :(

Eli
08-10-2007, 08:58 PM
5 days for a second place finish would be incredible. it'd be beyond incredible. Almost downright impossible. The supporters in iowa are doing a fantastic job. I really hope it pays off.

Sematary
08-10-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of 6th or 5th. Maybe even 4th.

But yeah, getting second would be pretty great. I'll be hoping for a finish like that. :cool:

With the push of the last few weeks and the fact that Paul stands head and shoulders above any of the other candidates in terms of grassroots support, I really can't foresee any other outcome but I won't be disappointed in a third place finish. I simply believe that logic dictates he'll finish second.

paulitics
Not that easy. Ron has toured Iowa the least out of all the participants. It depends on alot of factors. Meetup members, Libertarians and independents will have to show up big. I can see a guy like Huckabee or Brownback doing quite well. They put everything into Iowa. At least were a national campaign.

foofighter20x
You guys rationalize it all you want... No one knows the future.

I'm going to wait for the results without assumptions. But, I will keep my fngers crossed. :)

Eli
08-10-2007, 09:01 PM
after iowa is the big hand that will be played. All these campaigns are spending their last dime (remember ron paul has the third most cash on hand and mccain is too broke for iowa). Even if they all got first it wouldn't matter because they're too broke to continue without a strong grassroots effort.

Ron paul doesn't need a dime. We'll fight with him till the end.

After romney is spending his entire fortune on iowa he may need some serious contributions if he wants to continue seriously.

Regardless of how ron paul does we may end up only competing with guiliani after its done :)
remember the next quarter financing reports are due mid September. Which means more publicity for ron paul!

beermotor
08-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Not that easy. Ron has toured Iowa the least out of all the participants. It depends on alot of factors. Meetup members, Libertarians and independents will have to show up big. I can see a guy like Huckabee or Brownback doing quite well. They put everything into Iowa. At least were a national campaign.

That is the very big difference. However, that also is very well broadcast to the folks in Iowa. They know who has the gas to go the entire mile; they know who has what it takes to beat a democrat.

I think we will end up doing a lot better than folks think.

FreedomLover
08-10-2007, 09:02 PM
With the push of the last few weeks and the fact that Paul stands head and shoulders above any of the other candidates in terms of grassroots support, I really can't foresee any other outcome but I won't be disappointed in a third place finish. I simply believe that logic dictates he'll finish second.

I'd love to be that optimistic, but we all see things through ron paul lenses, so thinking as a nuetral party I would bet between 4th and 6th.

That itself is a huge win for us, we put in a lot of hard work the last month beforehand, probably as much if not more than all the other candidates. That's something we should all be proud of. :cool:

stevedasbach
08-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Several campaigns are busing in supporters:
Romney - 125 buses
Brownback - 100 buses
T. Thompson - 75 buses
Tancredo - 40 buses
Fairtax -- ?? buses

According to the strawpoll organizers, the above have reserved parking for 375 buses, which implies that Fairtax expects to bring 35 buses.

Each bus probably holds 50 people. Of course, they won't all be full.

As far as I know, Ron is not busing ANY supporters in. I think that predicting that Ron will come in second is overly optimistic (although it will be fantastic if he does).

Perry
08-10-2007, 09:06 PM
The ONLY thing that worries me is that the official Paul campaign only purchased the minimum 800 tickets while other candidates went all out.

probably this means very little however.

james1844
08-10-2007, 09:09 PM
My call is 3rd or 4th. Second would be great, but with only 1 week of campaigning, its going to be tough to do much better, even with all the buzz.

freelance
08-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Several campaigns are busing in supporters:
Romney - 125 buses
Brownback - 100 buses
T. Thompson - 75 buses
Tancredo - 40 buses
Fairtax -- ?? buses

Where did Brownback, T. Thompson and Tancredo get the money? How much does one bus cost? Or, are they also paying for the straw poll tickets for all of those people?

Hook
08-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Ron will get 7.35% :)

FreedomLover
08-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Where did Brownback, T. Thompson and Tancredo get the money? How much does one bus cost? Or, are they also paying for the straw poll tickets for all of those people?

They are using every last cent they have to get a suprise finish in the straw poll, in hopes that it will reenergize their support numbers as well as their campaign coffers.

That is why this straw poll has the reputation of being the last hurrah for smaller campaigns before they pack it up and end it.

stevedasbach
08-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Best guess -- several hundred dollars per bus. Say $500.

Maximum of 50 people per bus times $35 per ticket = $1750. So, about $2250 per bus. 100 buses = $225,000.

Original_Intent
08-10-2007, 09:54 PM

it's called blowing your load, :p :eek:

dsentell
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Considering that the MSM insists on putting Ron Paul dead last, if they even bother to mention him at all, I would look at any position above last place as a victory.

But, of course, I am hopeful for the top spot!!!!!!!!!