PDA

View Full Version : Do you Think America is a Christian Nation

theczar1776
02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Do you Think America is a Christian Nation?, if yes, or no, please tell me why?:D:D

fedup100
02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
NO

ToryNotion
02-11-2008, 04:15 PM
You might as well ask is Christianity Christian any more. I do think the founders considered themselves to be Christians as did the majority of the citizens. Bible literacy and church attendance was much higher then compared to now. I think the early Americans understood the link between faith and morality and morality and sound government.

TER
02-11-2008, 04:15 PM
If by what the majority of the people call themselves, then yes. If by how the majority of the people live their lives, than no.

theczar1776
02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
If we are a Christian nation why religious freedom? something to think about.

TER
02-11-2008, 04:19 PM

Because just as God does not force us to follow Him (via the greatest gift of love He could give us, which is free will), similarly, it is then certainly not our place to take away those freedoms of belief from our fellow humans.

ForLibertyFight
02-11-2008, 04:19 PM
No

theczar1776
02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
i think that most people who call themselves Christians are not, for myself i believe that jesus' teachings are great teachings, worth following, but the rest of the bible, is just hateful mis-mash.

Let the flame war begin

Richandler
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Nation of Christian vs Christion Nation

Two very different things. However, that being said there is a huge population of atheist who get no attention in the media what-so-ever and there numbers are a lot larger than people think.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Do you Think America is a Christian Nation?, if yes, or no, please tell me why?:D:D

The answer is "Yes." Although naive professors, sociologist and psychologists will attempt to revision American history to the point that they can claim the belief of atheism has a long tradition in this nation, the United States has a strong Puritan, Protestant and Catholic heritage. This gives the nation a Christian culture. Even the atheist Witches who practice their rituals up in the state of Maine tend to protest and act out because of their puritan Christian culture.

BuddyRey
02-11-2008, 05:05 PM
I like to think the founders wanted The USA to be of the same religious model as their foreign policy model ("friendship/tolerance for all religions, alliance with none.")

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-11-2008, 05:08 PM

Religious freedom has as much to do with keeping the state from creating a State Church like the Church of England as it does in keeping an established Church like the Catholic Church of the Holy Roman Empire from interfering with the state.

spudea
02-11-2008, 05:15 PM
if how the government is run a big NOO! Having in god we trust on our money is a disgrace to God.

WV Freedom Fighter
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
It used to be, it's not anymore. That's why it's going downhill fast.

entropy
02-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Read the Constitution if you want to know. Think about what that great document says. Now ask yourself if the essence of the constitution mirrors the highest ideals within Christianity.

I heard the Dali Llama once say about Christianity, not word for word exact but along the lines..."Christianity is a beautiful religion the problem is no one practices it."

Cheers to America....The greatest experiment in freedom in the history of mankind!
Boo to her citizens, who spit in the face of freedom for they have never lived without her.

Patriot123
02-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Hell NO. And I have zero respect for anyone that says it is. That's like me immigrating to the US one day from Israel and calling America a Jewish nation. What gives someone a right to impose their own religion on the US? Really. In all honesty, if someone wants to be in an area specifically for their own religion, move to Israel, Rome, Saudi Arabia, etcetera.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-12-2008, 02:29 AM
Hell NO. And I have zero respect for anyone that says it is. That's like me immigrating to the US one day from Israel and calling America a Jewish nation. What gives someone a right to impose their own religion on the US? Really. In all honesty, if someone wants to be in an area specifically for their own religion, move to Israel, Rome, Saudi Arabia, etcetera.

We aren't a Christian nation because we believe in it as a religion. We are Christian because we have had a long indoctrination through our Puritan literature and history. Since there does not exist a long history or literature of atheism in this nation, our culture has not been secularized atheist.

Tdcci
02-12-2008, 02:51 AM
In the sense that Iran is an Islamic nation? No.

The majority of the population of the United States of America identify as some form of Christian. Even if, like some in the thread are arguing the majority of the founders identified as some form of Christian they made clear in the documents they left us that the government should not affiliate itself with any religion.

theczar1776
02-12-2008, 02:12 PM
everyone says our puritan "heritage", the pilgrims aren't FREAKING AMERICANS THEY ARE BRITISH!!!

Patriot123
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Every single damn nation has a majority of Christians for hells sake... Brittan, the US, Panama, Germany, France, New Zealand... Hell, Christianity is everywhere. And just because they're everywhere, does that mean that they rule the world?Hell no. I absolutely hate it when people call America a Christian nation. My G-d. Christians didn't "found" America -- our founders were not Christian. I can't quite remember their exact religion, but it wasn't Christianity.

To be honest, and I don't mean to be offensive, if you want to live in a "Christian nation," then move to such a place, such as Rome. But please don't try to turn America into such a nation, because that's not what America is all about. America is about freedom, equality, liberty, the pursuit of happiness... must I go on? Religion should play a small role in our lives. We should rarely identify others by their religion. We're all Americans. Not Christians. Not blacks. Not whites. We're all Americans... So do you really have to alienate that with religion? Really...

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Every single damn nation has a majority of Christians for hells sake... Brittan, the US, Panama, Germany, France, New Zealand... Hell, Christianity is everywhere. And just because they're everywhere, does that mean that they rule the world?Hell no. I absolutely hate it when people call America a Christian nation. My G-d. Christians didn't "found" America -- our founders were not Christian. I can't quite remember their exact religion, but it wasn't Christianity.

To be honest, and I don't mean to be offensive, if you want to live in a "Christian nation," then move to such a place, such as Rome. But please don't try to turn America into such a nation, because that's not what America is all about. America is about freedom, equality, liberty, the pursuit of happiness... must I go on? Religion should play a small role in our lives. We should rarely identify others by their religion. We're all Americans. Not Christians. Not blacks. Not whites. We're all Americans... So do you really have to alienate that with religion? Really...

Ironically, our desire for freedom in America arose from our Puritan / Protestant heritage. A good way to test how fortunate we are to live in a secular Christian nation is to move to an anti-religious nation like China. More cruelty has been perpetuated by communism for the sake of collective happiness than has ever been perpetuated by Christianity.

theczar1776
02-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Awesome I really like this response! I agree!!

TER
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Your free to believe what you want. I would, to my death, consider myself a Christian before an American. But, that's me.

theczar1776
02-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Your free to believe what you want. I would, to my death, consider myself a Christian before an American. But, that's me.

that could be considered treason:(

TER
02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I would much rather be a considered a traitor by human standards than deny my Creator.

Patriot123
02-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Then, in my opinion, you're a traitor. I don't mean that offensively. Just what I believe in terms of religion. Your free to believe what you want, where you want, and how you want; as long as America comes first. My great grandparents immigrated to the US. Now I'm here. I'm of Russian heritage. So I'm not exactly as pure American blood as most people here. But I'd still be willing to give my life any damn day of the year to defend my country, no matter what.

My country always comes first.

tamor
02-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I my opinion, The older generations are still religious - Christians, as the majority.

I do believe we as a country are moving more toward the belief in Faith - not in religion and the dogma that it requires. I would say the majority of Americans believe in a higher power.

Remember God did not ruin faith/religion- man did -

Dustancostine
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
First what is the definition of a Christian Nation?

Second to all those who say "We are a Christian Nation", Then I ask the question "Are we a WHITE Nation", but to answer you must use the same logic you used to answer to that we are a "Christian Nation"

Also much of the philosophy behind our founding is not Christian, it is Enlightenment/Greek. The Holy Roman Empire was a Christian Nation, and you know what it got them? The Dark Ages. Just like many countries that consider themselves Islamic Nations, they are getting the same thing: A Dark Age. Almost all nations ruled through religion get Dark Ages.

--Dustan

theczar1776
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Then, in my opinion, you're a traitor. I don't mean that offensively. Just what I believe in terms of religion. Your free to believe what you want, where you want, and how you want; as long as America comes first. My great grandparents immigrated to the US. Now I'm here. I'm of Russian heritage. So I'm not exactly as pure American blood as most people here. But I'd still be willing to give my life any damn day of the year to defend my country, no matter what.

My country always comes first.

good for you!

snaFU
02-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Hopefully all of us aren't dumb as hell.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-12-2008, 06:08 PM
I would much rather be a considered a traitor by human standards than deny my Creator.

The main reason we are losing today as American patriots is because we bicker amongst ourselves. This type of bickering usually boils down to liberals or conservatives shirking responsibility for problems by way of blaming other irresponsible liberals or conservatives for them. All this has nothing to do with our forefathers desire that we have not just the ideal, as they did in Europe during that time, but that we have the real fulfillment of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Take away the real possibility of our collective pursuit of happiness -- the civil purpose designed into the Constitution by our forefathers -- and we are only left with the endless quest of legal idealism. This idealism pits white against black, men against women, husbands against wives, parents against children . . . ect..

theczar1776
02-12-2008, 07:05 PM
agreed