PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the draft

Sean
08-10-2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8QUECGG1&show_article=1

Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look
Aug 10 06:25 PM US/Eastern
By RICHARD LARDNER

WASHINGTON (AP) - Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," Lute added in his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

President Nixon abolished the draft in 1973. Restoring it, Lute said, would be a "major policy shift" and Bush has made it clear that he doesn't think it's necessary.

The repeated deployments affect not only the troops but their families, who can influence whether a service member decides to stay in the military, Lute said.

"There's both a personal dimension of this, where this kind of stress plays out across dinner tables and in living room conversations within these families," he said. "And ultimately, the health of the all- volunteer force is going to rest on those sorts of personal family decisions."

The military conducted a draft during the Civil War and both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. The Selective Service System, re- established in 1980, maintains a registry of 18-year-old men.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Bush picked Lute in mid-May as a deputy national security adviser with responsibility for ensuring efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan are coordinated with policymakers in Washington. Lute, an active-duty general, was chosen after several retired generals turned down the job.

Sean
08-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Maybe Mitt's sons will be serving in the military after all. Policing Iraq is such a waste.

Perry
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
A couple years ago i would have said I'm too old but the Bush administration moved the maximum enlistment age for the army to 42. I'm only 34 so who knows. I'll be damned if at least one of Romney's sons doesn't go before me though.

ShaneC
08-10-2007, 08:16 PM
I did my time, I'm out, and there's times I miss it, but I WILL NOT go back for this...

Wyurm
08-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Do you think that maybe, just maybe more people will wake up and stop thinking everything is just peachy? If so, this will help our numbers grow, esp if the financial situation worsens enough. Problem is, while it does wake people up, it also makes the mess harder to clean up.

ShaneC
08-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Problem is, while it does wake people up, it also makes the mess harder to clean up.

Yes, but the more people that wake up, the greater the change that can occur.

atilla
08-10-2007, 08:21 PM
maybe they'll draft me, i need to lose some weight, i've gained 70 pounds since i got out of the army

AlexAmore
08-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Thankfully I have a history of Asthma and I think that's just good enough for me to be able to decline the draft.

paulaholic
08-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Don't worry. Bush will never get this crap to pass.

american.swan
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
I am 29 an almost entered the air force twice. They have a lot of data on me due to that. I still have my selective service number in my wallet. Don't know when it expires. Like ShaneC said, I am not going in for this. They'd have to come to South Korea and arrest me before I ented.

AlexAmore
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
I know they are desperate because I keep seeing the Army Reserves trying to recruit on craigslist lol.

Wyurm
08-10-2007, 08:25 PM

He'll say "9/11, terror, terrorist, terrorism, etc..." over and over untill it does.

tsetsefly
08-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Milton Friedman so eloquently beat an army general in an exchange over the draft, the draft is borderline slavery, nothing worse than being forced to go fight a useless, war and even if it was a justified, government has absolutely no right to force people to go...

nakedrunner96
08-10-2007, 08:27 PM
IT will never pass. Not enough people in favor of the war. By the time tou could train a drafted military the war would have to be over.

And luckily for alot of americans we are too fat for the most part to pass a fitness test of any kind.

ShaneC
08-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Thats what I told myself last Friday regarding the wiretapping.

Sean
08-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe they need some more people to be able to go into Iran. Pretty funny Romney was saying just a few days ago we have an all volunteer force and that is how it is going to stay.

BillyBeer
08-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Milton Friedman so eloquently beat an army general in an exchange over the draft, the draft is borderline slavery, nothing worse than being forced to go fight a useless, war and even if it was a justified, government has absolutely no right to force people to go...

I think Friedman said compulsory military service is Slavery to the state.

tsetsefly
08-10-2007, 08:37 PM
I think Friedman said compulsory military service is Slavery to the state.

yes, he is right, that was after the army general(dontknow his rank so I might be wrong) said that he does not think mercenaries (volunteers) should be fighting wars, and Friedman responded saying that slaves should be fighting wars(didnt exactly say this but something similar) lol... its on youtube, i think

TruePatriot44
08-10-2007, 08:39 PM
There would be impeachment before a draft.

quickmike
08-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Im 37 yrs old and doubt I would be called for a draft, but if I was, I can guarantee one thing. I would put a bullet in the head of anyone who tried to force me into something that equates with slavery such as the draft, so either that, or they would put one in mine first. Either way I wouldnt fight this pointless battle in Iraq. Thats guaranteed. I would easily fight to defend my country from an outside threat, but not for this bullshit.

ShaneC
08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
QuickMike,

Remember, the oath of a service member is to defend the country against "all enemies foreign and domestic".

This is meaning more and more to me each and every day.

quickmike
08-10-2007, 08:50 PM
QuickMike,

Remember, the oath of a service member is to defend the country against "all enemies foreign and domestic".

This is meaning more and more to me each and every day.

Yeah I hear ya brother. Seems the "domestic" threat is more of the real threat than the foreign at the moment.

seefate
08-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Me being 18 isn't good...

Is Canada accepting applications? I love this country but I refuse to die for this cause.. :mad:

ShaneC
08-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah I hear ya brother. Seems the "domestic" threat is more of the real threat than the foreign at the moment.

Exactly my point.

I wish Bill Hicks were alive today. I can only wonder what he would have to say now, vs what he had on Bush the First.

kalami
08-10-2007, 08:55 PM
yes, he is right, that was after the army general(dontknow his rank so I might be wrong) said that he does not think mercenaries (volunteers) should be fighting wars, and Friedman responded saying that slaves should be fighting wars(didnt exactly say this but something similar) lol... its on youtube, i think

I want to see that. Friedman is one those guys (like Paul) who actually knows what he's talking about and understands what he says with such conviction that you can't really up him in an exchange.

quickmike
08-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Me being 18 isn't good...

Is Canada accepting applications? I love this country but I refuse to die for this cause.. :mad:

Question is, would you fight to the death to protect your freedoms from our own government? Thats the TRUE measure of a patriot that loves his country if you ask me. I doubt the draft would ever get passed. If it did though, get ready to kill some nazis :D

drednot
08-10-2007, 08:59 PM
"...But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," Lute added

Wrong.

It's about feeloading off of people you are not willing to pay enough to volunteer to meet the demands of the nation's security.

...assuming that meeting the demands of the nation's security is what you are attempting to accomplish in this first place.

seefate
08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I would gladly fight to save my country if there was a true threat, but the Middle east is no real threat and the troops we currently have are more then enough to protect our home and not "our interests".

thomaspaine23
08-10-2007, 09:03 PM
"...But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another,"

sounds like Hitler talking about the concentration camps.....

ShaneC
08-10-2007, 09:24 PM
"...But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another,"

sounds like Hitler talking about the concentration camps.....

depends on your definition of "National Security".

I don't feel threatened by anyone other than our current government. If it were a real legitimate threat, I could almost stand behind it....*almost*....because I want us to stay free.

There's an interesting prospect.

If someone were actually invading (ie. China) would you support a draft? or do you think the individual militias could survive?

Honestly, personally, I don't know how I'd choose on that, if I were forced to. I want us to be and remain free, per original intent.