PDA

View Full Version : Non U.S. Citizens - Maxed Out Donors - U.S. Tax Deductible Donation Idea for Ads

Mark
02-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Just wondering if there's any interest in running candidate comparison ads and/or issue educational ads.

I think it would be a good way for people to be educated on the issues, and allow them to come to the conclusion that Ron is our only hope on their own.

Sometimes it works better when people think through things to decide instead of being told who the best candidate is.

I have a legally incorporated nonprofit organization that we can use to run educational/comparison ads

that non U.S. Citizens can even donate to, and U.S. Citizens can donate to and deduct the donation from their taxes.

I won't take a salary or expenses from the donations, so 100% of the money would be used to run the ads.

This is a GREAT opportunity for people from countries outside of the U.S. to help, and for U.S. citizens to help and also deduct the contribution from their taxes.

What does everyone think? Should we do this? Is it a good idea?

Mark
02-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Bump for people that realize that targeted ads work.

mdh
02-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Just wondering if there's any interest in running candidate comparison ads and/or issue educational ads.

I think it would be a good way for people to be educated on the issues, and allow them to come to the conclusion that Ron is our only hope on their own.

Sometimes it works better when people think through things to decide instead of being told who the best candidate is.

I have a legally incorporated nonprofit organization that we can use to run educational/comparison ads

that non U.S. Citizens can even donate to, and U.S. Citizens can donate to and deduct the donation from their taxes.

I won't take a salary or expenses from the donations, so 100% of the money would be used to run the ads.

This is a GREAT opportunity for people from countries outside of the U.S. to help, and for U.S. citizens to help and also deduct the contribution from their taxes.

While I like the idea, I'm not sure that a 501(c)3 can run ads mentioning candidates for federal office in the context of a federal election without losing that status from the IRS. It seems to me that this would, while not directly endorsing a candidate, fall under the broad definition of electioneering activities.

I'm not a lawyer though, so if you've had a lawyer tell you it's A-OK, take their word over mine. Be careful, though.

Mckarnin
02-11-2008, 09:28 PM

Mark,

I've navigated these waters already and there are only a few designations under which you can legally run ads that mention a specific candidate. Most of the non-PAC designations require that less than 50% of the money you receive be spent on ads that mention candidates or the fact that they are running for president. Others prohibit you from receiving money from companies or foreigners. Just be careful and feel free to PM me if you want more information.

Katharine

Mark
02-12-2008, 01:13 AM
While I like the idea, I'm not sure that a 501(c)3 can run ads mentioning candidates for federal office in the context of a federal election without losing that status from the IRS. It seems to me that this would, while not directly endorsing a candidate, fall under the broad definition of electioneering activities.

I'm not a lawyer though, so if you've had a lawyer tell you it's A-OK, take their word over mine. Be careful, though.

What a 501(c)3 can't do is endorse a specific candidate.

Educational ads that spell out the issues and let voters decide themselves what they support are allowed.

-----------

Here's a link to a post that has some detailed information:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=99762

partial info there:

ACTIVITY

Endorse a canidate for political office? CHURCH: NO PASTOR: Yes

Allow candidates to speak on church premises? - CHURCH: Yes PASTOR: N/A

Rent list of church members to candidate for fundraising purposes (at fair market value)? - CHURCH: Yes PASTOR: N/A

Distribute Voter Guides CHURCH: Yes PASTOR: Yes

Engage in voter registration, voter identification, get out the vote, voter education ? - CHURCH: Yes PASTOR: Yes

--------

For example, there a great voter guide that the campaign issued that compares the candidates similar to the guide on this website
(still under construction):

TheConservativeAlternative.com (http://TheConservativeAlternative.com)

A lot of, in not all, people want to make up their OWN mind instead of being told who to vote for.

The message, the issues, are what most of us heard first about Ron, and we came to our own conclusion after deciding based on what we learned.

That's what I'm suggesting.

Educational ad campaigns, that can even run after the election, to inform the populace on issues that affect our beloved country.

We can run ads that will even help Ron Paul type candidates in their races, because if the ads will inform voters on issues that we and Ron support,
it will also help other candidates that support Ron's, and ours, platform.

I think we all agree that the message is what's most important.

In fact, Ron has always said that it's not about him, but about the message.

What we have the opportunity to do is spread the message through a vehicle that donations to can even be deducted from taxes.

That is a very important difference from every other method out there, be it a PAC or 527, neither of which are tax deductible.

Also, the donations to a 501(c)3 are NOT limited in amount like a PAC or 527, which can only accept donations up to a certain level,
just like donations to Ron.

So, there is a method in place RIGHT NOW, that can accept UNLIMITED donations that ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE.

And, with the grassroots help, I'm SURE that we could create ads that would tear the veil off of the eyes of the populous,
and help restore this wonderful country back to it's former glory.

I'll post this and then find specific links on the FEC and IRS site with more info on what's possible.

Mark
02-12-2008, 04:24 AM

I don't need a lawyer at this point. And there's no need in draining off the fees that would be involved in retaining legal council.

I want to use 100% of the donations to spread the message, so I wouldn't be taking a salary,
and I wouldn't want to waste donations on unnecessary legal fees as well.

My 501(c)3 is a Religious Organization, a Church, and therefore there are a number of resources available online to disseminate information from.

I've contacted the IRS and FEC on my own also,
and I've received various documents regarding Church participation in elections and voter educational pursuits.

--------------------------------

Here's a few links that describe potential 501(c)3 activities:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=The_U.S._tax_code_and_non_profits

Contributions to a 501(c)(3) (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=501%28c%29%283%29) organization can be claimed against income tax but donations to a 501(c)(4) (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=501%28c%29%284%29) entity cannot.

While 501(c)(3) groups - which range from religious organizations, traditional service provision charities through to advocacy organisations - are more attractive

to individual donors, the tax code places restrictions on the amount of funds that can be spent on lobbying and bans funds being used on election campaigns.

However, what constitutes lobbying (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Lobbying) - defined as urging a vote on legislation - and educational activities is one of gray zones that is constantly debated.

From a fundraising (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Fundraising&action=edit) point of view it is much harder to raise money for a 501(c)(4) group, because individual donors cannot deduct

the contributions from their taxable income. However, such organizations are free to spend as much of their funds as they like lobbying on legislation.

----------------------------------

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=501c3

Donations to 501c3 organizations which are tax-exempt under section 501(c)3 of the U.S. tax code are tax deductible,

"unlike donations to political and lobbying organizations." [1] (http://www.hillnews.com/news/031704/charities.aspx) (see also The U.S. tax code and non profits (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=The_U.S._tax_code_and_non_profits) )

501c3 "charities don't have to report their contributors to the Federal Election Commission (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Federal_Election_Commission), the IRS (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=IRS) or any federal agency." [2] (http://www.hillnews.com/news/031704/charities.aspx)

"By law, charities must only conduct nonpartisan voter activities to keep their tax-exempt status.

But the law also allows charities to register and mobilize likely Democratic or Republican voters." [3] (http://www.hillnews.com/news/031704/charities.aspx)

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/brochures.shtml

This page offers HTML and PDF versions of FEC brochures covering a variety of campaign finance topics.

--------------------------------------------------

As you can see, the main differences between 501(c)3 Orgs and 501(c)4 Orgs are that

the donations to a 501(c)3 are TAX DEDUCTIBLE and UNLIMITED IN THE AMOUNT THAT CAN BE ACCEPTED.

And if someone donates under $250 to a 501(c)3, there isn't even a need for a receipt for your taxes. You just write it off your taxable income.

Any donations of $250 or above would require a receipt for your records.

------------------------------------------------------

If anyone cares to check, here's my IRS EIN and Organization name, a link my Religious Orgs record of Incorporation from over 9 years ago,
and, I also have approved Tax Exempt Status in North Carolina from the NC Dept of Revenue.

IRS info:

Employer Identification Number:
26-1537321

Name:
ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK INC

NC Sec of State Link for Incorporation info:

http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/agent.aspx?AgentId=1921025

Registered Agent is me: Mark Cahall

Entity Name: THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK (http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/Corp.aspx?PitemId=4785114)

Type: NP (NonProfit)

Formed: 7/15/1998

-------------------------------

And as my Orgs activities will be Educational, and not Lobbying or funding an election campaign,

there are NO restrictions on the amount of donations that can be collected or used for the Educational pursuits.

Mark
02-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Mark,

I've navigated these waters already and there are only a few designations under which you can legally run ads that mention a specific candidate. Most of the non-PAC designations require that less than 50% of the money you receive be spent on ads that mention candidates or the fact that they are running for president. Others prohibit you from receiving money from companies or foreigners. Just be careful and feel free to PM me if you want more information.

Katharine

Thanks Katherine! I tried to answer most legal questions with info and links in the posts above.

Intentions are to run Educational ads about issues covering all parts of Election issues,

and allow voters to come to their own conclusion as to which candidate best fits in terms of solving their concerns.

I believe most everyone here did the same thing, heard about Ron, studied his platform, and drew their own conclusion that he is the best choice among all of the candidates.

And this educational Campaign will extend to benefit all other Candidates running on a RP Platform as well,
as voters should come to the same conclusion regarding them as they did regarding Ron.

So, not only can we help Ron with these educational materials, we can also help other candidates as well.

Also, given that I'm a 501(c)3, and NOT a 501(c)4, the types of issues you mentioned aren't applicable towards my Org.

And, I can also accept donations from Foreign Nationals because the donations are for a 501(c)3,

and not intended to influence an election for a particular entity such as a candidate or Party.

A Foreign National can give unlimited amounts to a U.S. Charity and/or non-profit, so,

I'm legally able to accept donations from anyone in the world.

misericordia
02-12-2008, 04:56 AM
I'd give you money for that, as long as the ad's theme song was, "Mission Impossible." It's a catchy tune that would grab people's attention. (And they always completed the 'mission').

Mark
02-12-2008, 05:11 AM
I threw together a quick example of what we can do - this is more generic than specific,

but it brings up Ron's message of "Justified War" and "policing the world".

Followed up with an issue ad including those two points could be included.

And, BTW, I just bought the 3 top level domains for We Live In Peace tonight, so there's nothing there yet.

A "let's live in peace" message could be huge and very effective.

Yes, we want Ron to be president, but as he's said many times, it's not about him, it's about the message.

And we need to spread the message of peace and freedom in the world.

----------------------------------

Rough draft of a "I care" ad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I care"

I care about stopping needless wars and the killing of innocent civilians.

I care about only using force when absolutely necessary as is outlined in the theory of "Justified War".

I care about not putting our children at risk in unnecessary conflicts that could be avoided with diplomacy.

I care about the power of The United States not being used to promote a certain small group's agenda.

I care about restoring the respect the world had for America after World War II, and the compassion the world had for America after 9/11.

It's time to end the disdain of America as the policemen of the world, and reclaim the glory America had as the protector of the free world.

Join us won't you, in the rebuilding of America as a beacon of light in a dark world.

For the benefit of all, young and old, big and small.

We can do it together as a team, we CAN live the dream, of our world, not at war, but at peace.

Visit WeLiveInPeace.com - for all good people just want to live in peace.

Mark
02-12-2008, 05:19 AM
I'd give you money for that, as long as the ad's theme song was, "Mission Impossible." It's a catchy tune that would grab people's attention. (And they always completed the 'mission').

I wonder what type of royalties would have to be paid?

One thing about a nonprofit, many time they get a discount, or free use, of normally expensive properties.

It's worth checking into who owns it, and if they'd even donate it's use for the benefit of the country and the world as well.

Got any ideas on what type of message the ad using that song should focus on?

Since I'm only one person, I was hoping to get input and help from grassroots volunteers.

I'm volunteering my time and efforts, and the more volunteers involved, the more we can do without tapping into the donations.

I'd love to see every penny donated go to the educational campaign.

To me it's about bringing peace and freedom to the world, to stop the killing of innocent civilians, to prevent WWIII, ect ect.

I'd love to see the whole world join in this campaign for peace and freedom.

Mark
02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Afternoon bump for everyone. This could be big - we want to promote the message like Ron has said many times.

The message of Peace and Freedom. Of Liberty and The Constitution. This type of Educational Campaign will not end with this election.

It'll continue as long as it needs to.

Mark
02-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Bump for people that can understand the potential of this.

UNLIMITED TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS FROM U.S. CITIZENS

FOREIGN NATIONALS (people not citizens of the U.S.) CAN LEGALLY DONATE WITHOUT LIMITS ALSO

Mark
02-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I'll gather together the links to the donation methods I have in place as of now and post them asap.

BreakYourChains
02-13-2008, 01:42 AM
bump

Steveco
02-13-2008, 01:46 AM
[MOD: REDACTED, VIOLATION OF FORUM GUIDELINES]

Steveco
02-13-2008, 02:00 AM
[MOD: REDACTED, VIOLATION OF FORUM GUIDELINES]

everyone stop what your doing and send money to the Order of Melchezedek, Inc. its for Ron Paul really.

if you are not conferable with that Idea send money the the National or congressional campaign of Ron Paul, his congressional campaign could use the money

Mark
02-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Well, I've reported the off topic attacks in this thread and another by this Steveco obviously intellectually challenged dude many times now,
but apparently the oft stated rules don't apply to him in my regards.

Mark
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Well, I've reported the off topic attacks in this thread and another by this Steveco obviously intellectually challenged dude many times now,
but apparently the oft stated rules don't apply to him in my regards.

Trying again:

So far my 5 or 6 reports have been ignored, I'll keep sending reports on the two threads this person has constantly attacked and slandered me until they're addressed, or someone just emails or PMs me that the rules don't apply in my case..

Violations in posts # 15 and #16

The forum guidelines are as follows:

+ Insulting or personally attacking other users is not allowed by any member. There is very little tolerance for violations, particular for new members. Reason: Insults lead to relational which often result in disruption, which dilute the resources of members and the intent of the forum.

+ Off-topic posts - Posts that do not relate to the threads intent are subject to being deleted.

+ Any form of antagonizing other members is not allowed by non-established members.

+ If you are to be critical of another users ideas or message please do so in a respectful manner. It is possible to discuss your points as to why you feel the way you do, ideally you should include alternate suggestions or acknowledge you have none.