View Full Version : Tancredo investigating bus cancellation hoax

PatriotOne
08-10-2007, 07:31 PM
:eek:

Tancredo investigating bus cancellation hoax
ERIN JORDAN
REGISTER IOWA CITY BUREAU

August 10, 2007

Staff for Republican presidential candidate Tom Tancredo are looking into a hoax e-mail sent today to nearly 500 people saying buses transporting Tancredo supporters to Saturday's straw poll in Ames had been canceled.

"This is a blatant attempt to derail our efforts for the straw poll," said Alan Moore, spokesman for Rep. Tancredo, R-Colo.

The bogus e-mail sent around 10:45 a.m. today to about 490 recipients stated the Tancredo campaign had canceled 10 buses and changed the pickup times for 40 other buses.

Rest here:

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070810/NEWS/70810043/1001/NEWS

JosephTheLibertarian
08-10-2007, 07:32 PM
ha. Too bad, Tancredo. GO HOME

paulitics
08-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Thats horrible.

ShaneC
08-10-2007, 07:34 PM
wow....that's not cool.

:(

shrugged0106
08-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Polictics is dirty, PAULitics is clean

JosephTheLibertarian
08-10-2007, 07:36 PM
OK.. I think it's pretty bad, but I just don't want Tancredo to beat Ron Paul, so I can't say I feel bad about this... I do, however, sympathize. I'd be mad if I were a Tancredo guy.

Hurricane Bruiser
08-10-2007, 07:40 PM
yea, I'd be mad. Somebody please let them know that the straw poll has been moved to the 12th!

Johnnybags
08-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Bwahahahahahaha, the Romney boys are doing a great job getting dad elected. What next, tornado warning?

JosephTheLibertarian
08-10-2007, 07:42 PM
yea, I'd be mad. Somebody please let them know that the straw poll has been moved to the 12th!

heh

PatriotOne
08-10-2007, 07:43 PM
How long do you guys think before they try to pin it on Ron Pauls internet savy supporters?

CJLauderdale4
08-10-2007, 07:43 PM
See, that kind of crap is what screws things up!
It was probably some illegals aliens that sent the email on Tancredo, poor guy!!

freelance
08-10-2007, 07:44 PM
The bogus e-mail sent around 10:45 a.m. today to about 490 recipients stated the Tancredo campaign had canceled 10 buses and changed the pickup times for 40 other buses.

It has to be a mole inside his own campaign. Otherwise, how would they get a valid recipient list?

Will
08-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Ya know, MANY of us (Ron Paul supporters) are in IT. That's pretty well known. I am praying that one of our team didn't hack into Tancrado's systems to get the email addresses and do this. That would be REALLY bad publicity...

paulitics
08-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Tancredo is the least globalist, right? it could have been another second tier like Brownback.

Johnnybags
08-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I see his name all over it, meanwhile back at the ranch he is preloading the Diebolds while everyone is chasing ghosts. Comical! Tancredo investigating school bus cancellations. Where the heck did they get alist of his supporters? NSA?

LastoftheMohicans
08-10-2007, 07:46 PM
On the Jan Mickelson show, wasn't the Tancredo rep. trying to paint Jim Condit as a conspiracy theorist for saying that vote fraud was a possibility. Isn't tricking people not to come to the Straw Poll a form of vote fraud?

Hook
08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Crazy stuff! The one good thing is that it dillutes the voting machine conspiracy stories that have been exclusively pointing our way. It makes us not look like lone nutters out there.

paulitics
Remember Paul is not the only one they want to eliminate.

DeadheadForPaul
Wow that's really shameful

MozoVote
Since Tancredo was the only candidate who thought Paul should have been allowed to speak in Des Moines on 6/30, let's hope it really wasn't a Paul minded "infiltrator" that did this.

walt
08-10-2007, 07:51 PM
That is politics as usual, just how a scumbag named Bill Clinton lied about Paul Tsongas' record in 1992.

ronpaulitician
08-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Polictics is dirty, PAULitics is clean
I'm sure there are some pauliticians that would play dirty. Let's hope this Tancredo thing didn't involve one of us.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Since Tancredo was the only candidate who thought Paul should have been allowed to speak in Des Moines on 6/30, let's hope it really wasn't a Paul minded "infiltrator" that did this.

Tancredo said something about him being excluded?

Akus
08-10-2007, 07:55 PM
If any Ron Paul people did this, I think Ron paul campaign should be the first one to investigate and track them and kick them out. I sure hope this has nothing to do with Ron Paul though.

PatriotOne
Ya know, MANY of us (Ron Paul supporters) are in IT. That's pretty well known. I am praying that one of our team didn't hack into Tancrado's systems to get the email addresses and do this. That would be REALLY bad publicity...

The crazy thing is that there are people pretending to be supporters of all the candidates who would intentionally do something like this that would intentionally be caught just so their candidate could be blamed.

No real Ron Paul suporter would do that. That's the work of politicians and people who support the dirty politicians....not Ron Paul, nor his supporters.

stevedasbach
OK.. I think it's pretty bad, but I just don't want Tancredo to beat Ron Paul, so I can't say I feel bad about this... I do, however, sympathize. I'd be mad if I were a Tancredo guy.

We need to stand up against this kind of crap, no matter which candidate is victimized.

Wyurm
08-10-2007, 07:56 PM
when politicians focus on attacking their opponents, it only shows that their message doesn't have enough power to stand on its own. That is exactly why Ron Paul doesn't have to resort to dirty politics. His message has real power, and let none of us forget that.

Gee
08-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Sending an email from a falsified address is not at all difficult. I do hope this isn't traced back to Paul, correctly or not.

Kuldebar
08-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Sometimes there (scratch that: there nearly always) are great advantages to being decentralized.

I think being decentralized will help us avoid or diminish some of the dirty tricks that may come our way.

Johnnybags
08-10-2007, 07:57 PM

got Tancredos email list? I doubt it, its more of an inside job. I gotta admit, its the most dispicable political act I have seen since the this morning when the FED created 38 billion on phony money to prop up Wall st crooks. But I am laughing about the busses only because it was devious and ingenious. I think its Romneys kids. He said they were helping him get elected.

PatriotOne
08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
If any Ron Paul people did this, I think Ron paul campaign should be the first one to investigate and track them and kick them out. I sure hope this has nothing to do with Ron Paul though.

IOf course it has nothing to do with Ron Paul. Why would you even imply that?

paulitics
No, this doesn't sound like anything our camp would do. This is really low, something professional scumbags do. They have it down to a science.

Kuldebar

There you go again.

First off, did you mean employees of the Ron Paul Campaign or supporters like us on this board? Because they are two different groups.

PatriotOne
08-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Sometimes there (scratch that: there nearly always) are great advantages to being decentralized.

I think being decentralized will help us avoid or diminish some of the dirty tricks that may come our way.

That's what I was thinking. Not easy to sabatoge people you can't organize in the first place :D

bbachtung
08-10-2007, 07:59 PM
got Tancredos email list? I doubt it, its more of an inside job. I gotta admit, its the most dispicable political act I have seen since the this morning when the FED created 38 billion on phony money to prop up Wall st crooks. But I am laughing about the busses only because it was devious and ingenious. I think its Romneys kids. He said they were helping him get elected.

Romney's kids aren't smart enough to hatch a scheme like this. This has Dick Cheney written all over it.

paulitics
08-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Tancredo is the most vocal against amnesty. They smeared him in the media by taking his comment out of context, and marginalized him in the last debate. I don't think he will be invited to a cfr meeting any time soon. Politics is dirty.

MozoVote
08-10-2007, 08:05 PM
It could just be someone against his message, that infiltrated. He probably inspires a lot of "ire" among liberals that love border hopping and big businesses that like hiring the illegals.

cjhowe
08-10-2007, 08:05 PM
What if the Tancredo camp made this up looking to create a little blowback?
/tinfoil hat

Hook
08-10-2007, 08:06 PM
More like Karl Rove

Johnnybags
08-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Tancredo is the most vocal against amnesty. They smeared him in the media by taking his comment out of context, and marginalized him in the last debate. I don't think he will be invited to a cfr meeting any time soon. Politics is dirty.

1-1 Tancredo himself looking for last minute press
3-1 The Romneysons
7-2 The FEDs
99-1 Ron Paul supporters

Seriously folks, its a ruse from Tancredos staff looking for sympathy to which I say look between sh*t and syphallis in the dictionary, thats where you'll find it.

PatriotOne
08-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I've always been suspicious about whoever suggested and encourage Ron Paul supporters to take Mitt Romney's bus tickets. Now there are stories in mainstream media written about that today. Sabotage so MSM can paint RP supporters as cheaters? I seruiously doubt any Ron Paul supporters took Mitt's tickets but yet MSM is accusing us of it?

Hook
08-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Karl Rove planted a bug in his own office once to make it look like his opponent did it. He then notified the press, and destroyed his opponent. It came out later that the bug was a simple Radio Shack kit with a 9v battery attached. The battery would be used up in about 24 hours, but it was still fully charged when the police looked at it, so he had to have put it in minutes before he called the police.

Kuldebar
08-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I've always been suspicious about whoever suggested and encourage Ron Paul supporters to take Mitt Romney's bus tickets. Now there are stories in mainstream media written about that today. Sabotage so MSM can paint RP supporters as cheaters? I seruiously doubt any Ron Paul supporters took Mitt's tickets but yet MSM is accusing us of it?

I agree that something like that is a great likelihood, but stuff like that will happen no matter what we do.

tiznow
08-10-2007, 08:11 PM

probably MSM or lone voices from out of state i personally know of nobody who is doing this in iowa (although i'm guessing we will give the mitt buses a warm welcoming in the morning hehe) and i know lots that are going to straw poll.

Korey Kaczynski
08-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Probably leftist "activists."

FreedomLover
08-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Probably a tom tancredo guy who had a falling out, or to drum up sympathy.

Itd be foolhardy to accuse any ron paul supporter, many of us like tancredo too, their posititions line up on many issues.

McDermit
08-10-2007, 08:14 PM
It sucks.. but I think it's kind of funny.

specsaregood
What if the Tancredo camp made this up looking to create a little blowback?
/tinfoil hat

I was thinking the same thing. Rally the troops event.

Obviously no RP supporters did this. Why would we target Tancredo supporters. Only a member of the amnesty-gang would do this. Hasn't Tancredo been slinging some mud against those guys? Seems they have the incentive. Ron Pauls supporters woud have NO reason to do it.

Cowlesy
We need to stand up against this kind of crap, no matter which candidate is victimized.

Absolutely. No need for this kind of garbage. The Paul campaign will explode based on Paul's message alone. I'd be more likely to guess if it was anything subversive, it'd be a Brownback'r who realizes he is the equivalent of stale generic cornflakes.

Paul people are the last people who need to waste time with antics like that.

MozoVote
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm not willing to laugh, and bring the wrath of the fates upon us.

Lord Xar
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
I agree with others, it had to be an inside job because the contact to the buses, the emails etc.. are all "private" -- nobody would have those BUT someone close to Tancredos team.

I dig Tancredo. If I wasn't for Paul, I'd be for Tancredo......

Its definetely an inside job..... imho, or perhaps romney used some of that massive money to buy someone off knowing that Tancredo was busing in sooooo many people.. i mean, "another 40 buses">.. shit, how many people to a bus?

PatriotOne
08-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I agree with others, it had to be an inside job because the contact to the buses, the emails etc.. are all "private" -- nobody would have those BUT someone close to Tancredos team.

I dig Tancredo. If I wasn't for Paul, I'd be for Tancredo......

Its definetely an inside job..... imho, or perhaps romney used some of that massive money to buy someone off knowing that Tancredo was busing in sooooo many people.. i mean, "another 40 buses">.. shit, how many people to a bus?

Buses hold abiout 50 people. 40 buses would be 2000 people.

Lord Xar
08-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Buses hold abiout 50 people. 40 buses would be 2000 people.

Well, if that is the case... who could Tancredo make look bad? Romney.

Unless this is all a hoax to have an explanation of poor performance....

but Tancredo has been hitting it very hard for weeks there....

Romney goon did it... fearing Tancredo was closing in....

Hurricane Bruiser
08-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Strange. Who would be targeting Tancredo? I mean, he was talking about blowing up Mecca. I don't see him really going anywhere. I like him on many things though. It wouldn't be RP supporters.

Eli
08-10-2007, 08:34 PM
that sucks!

do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.

for that reason and the fact that i would be pissed if it happened to ron paul i feel really bad for his campaign for that happening to them. Is there any way we can help get it sorted out? I suppose its all internal and theres nothing we can do, but still....sucks

slantedview
08-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah, that's not cool. People should not be hindered from voting for whomever they want.

TruePatriot44
08-10-2007, 08:37 PM
If you want to win, sometimes you got to play dirty.

Eli
08-10-2007, 08:39 PM
i just called tancredos iowa staff. I offered them my condolences and they said that the mixup was caused by a competitor in an effort to hurt them. I just hope they don't think it was us...ya know since we're the only campaign that apparently knows how to email or ....*cough* text message for that matter.

Razmear
08-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Heres my take on this, just hearing about it and reading the thread.

1. He could have sent out the previous mailing without using BCC, giving the entire list to everyone on it. It's a dumb thing to do but happens more often than you'd think. If so, any of the recipients could have done it.
2. Or its an inside job (someone on his staff, someone at his ISP likes one of the other candidates)

Either way, get the full headers of the email and backtrace. It will either turn up the offender, or let you know if it was professionally done if the IP deadends.

Who benifits?
Tancredo himself, finally gets some press.
A Romney supporters ego (my personal bet on the cause)

eb

stevedasbach
08-10-2007, 08:48 PM
If you want to win, sometimes you got to play dirty.

That's what got the country into the mess it's in. Ron doesn't operate that way.

PatriotOne
08-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Tancredo is an idiot, punkass racist comment, will never support this man, actualy id support ghouliani over him.

I didn't think about that Hamadeh. Talking about bombing Muslim Holy sites sure didn't earn him any friends. Muslims have computors also and are not afraid to use them!

freelance
08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
someone at his ISP likes one of the other candidates

OMG! I didn't think of that possibility.

Another dumb question: If you have your own server, isn't there a way to send your own e-mails directly? I forget what it's called...

Beyond networking a few home office computers together, I don't get all this network stuff.

PaleoForPaul
08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
I didn't think about that Hamadeh. Talking about bombing Muslim Holy sites sure didn't earn him any friends. Muslims have computors also and are not afraid to use them!

Of course, he said he'd do that in response to islamic nuclear terrorism on American Soil. This of course makes him a 'racist' and a 'punkass' somehow or other in the eyes of Hamadeh.

bbachtung
08-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Of course, he said he'd do that in response to islamic nuclear terrorism on American Soil. This of course makes him a 'racist' and a 'punkass' somehow or other in the eyes of Hamadeh.

It is, of course, the equivalent of saying that if a primarily Catholic country (like Poland, Italy, Brazil, to name a few) or a group of Catholics attacked the U.S., we should (or would) nuke the Vatican.

Syren123
08-10-2007, 11:34 PM
They'll be able to figure out who did that. What kind of POS does something like that? Is Giuliani's goon squad on the loose?

Tancredo is a good guy and not a threat to Ron Paul. In fact, when Tom drops out, most of his supporters will probably come thisaway.

Syren123
08-10-2007, 11:36 PM

Yeah that was no good. They're ALL falling into that pro-war frenzy vortex. When Obama said he'd invade Pakistan, it was all over for the anti-war fakers.

Tom Tancredo has done a lot of valuable work in Congress taking on illegal immigration when it was VERBOTEN to talk about it. For that I will always be grateful to him. Not enough to vote for him tho.

Quantumystic
08-10-2007, 11:39 PM

Woah!!!

THAT is NOT what Tancredo said, dude.

He said... in order to DETER an attack, make it known the retaliation would be to nuke Mecca.

There's a HUGE difference.

And frankly, I think he's INSANE. Israel was responsible for attacking the USS Liberty in 1967. Are you saying we should've nuked the Temple Mount?

Get real.

Syren123
08-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Paul people are the last people who need to waste time with antics like that.

Exactly. Everyone knows both of us are WAY too busy spamming online polls.

kylebrotherton
08-10-2007, 11:43 PM
How long do you guys think before they try to pin it on Ron Pauls internet savy supporters?

Probably as soon as they find him. When they search his apartment, they'll also find phone records with his calls to Ed Failor's wife at 3am, handwritten threats to Iowa GOP leaders, a "9/11 conspiracy" sign, and a bullhorn.

If there's any way I can help with the manhunt, let me know.

Lord Xar
08-10-2007, 11:47 PM
naw... they are looking for others, rather than those associated with our guy.. also, why is there talk of implication at all? Don't you find that odd of those saying that??? Just weird.. I mean, I frequent tancredos blogs and other areas and MANY of his followers would follow ron paul and vice versa.... anything underhanded would probably come from those who's leader is underhanded.

PaleoForPaul
08-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Woah!!!

THAT is NOT what Tancredo said, dude.

He said... in order to DETER an attack, make it known the retaliation would be to nuke Mecca.

There's a HUGE difference.

And frankly, I think he's INSANE. Israel was responsible for attacking the USS Liberty in 1967. Are you saying we should've nuked the Temple Mount?

Get real.

DUDE, it is. He said if America were to be attacked with nuclear weapons, he would respond by bombing Mecca. He did say he would make that known (which he did by saying it).

As for Israel, I think that if anyone attacks Americans we should respond in a similar fashion to them.

Since Israel didn't nuke the US, your odd comparison does not apply.

Bradley in DC
08-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Bwahahahahahaha, the Romney boys are doing a great job getting dad elected. What next, tornado warning?

Remember, he explained how they're doing their patriot duty that way instead of any of them fighting in Iraq!

Amen to Steve's comment.

Bradley in DC
08-11-2007, 12:02 AM
This affair is just lame, especially, as some have already pointed out, Tancredo (who calls Dr. Paul his friend in the debates) was the only one to call for Dr. Paul's inclusion in the Iowa taxpayer forum.

Besides that, the email lacked class and style. Most of our people, certainly on this forum, have more panache than that. If the email had merely pointed out the logistical difficulties arising from an unexpected strike by the Latino bus drivers, then THAT would have made me worried it'd be one of us.;)

billm317
08-11-2007, 12:37 AM
You can't say for certain that it was an inside job.

Tancredo's mail server uses mailing lists I'm sure, so the BCC thing wouldn't come into play, because all recipients don't get shown anyway. However, I can think of two possible scenarios where someone could gain access to the mailing list because of a server configuration error.

1.) It could be setup by accident where any subscribers can post to the mailing list. Some mailing lists software defaults to this. It seems like a no-brainer to check on, but stuff like this happens alllll the time.

2.) They may have corrected the problem above, but we're still showing the sender's email address when he previously mailed the entire list, so someone knows the exact email address to spoof. They could then spoof the sender's email address and send to the entire list.

There's many other possibilities for someone who's willing to dig a bit further. I hope the RP campaign is taking Internet security very serious. There's a lot of bad people who would love to mess with his (and everyone else's) campaign.