PDA

View Full Version : Brokered convention strategy

filmmaker58
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Should we be telling Ron Paul supporters in the upcoming states to support Huckabee? If he wins the rest of the states, won't that insure a brokered convention? I know it sounds like sacreledge, but should that be our strategy at this point? Is that what Ron Paul was trying to tell us in his message, and is that why the message is still up? Because we're a little slow.

Just wanted to get others thoughts on this.

AgentOrange
02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
And risk Huckabee getting the nomination? No, Ron Paul supporters should vote for Ron Paul in the hopes that he will get delegates.

nate895
02-11-2008, 01:25 PM
He needs 83% of the remaining delegates. I say vote for him in Virginia tomorrow and if he loses, Wisconsin the week after, but not any further than that.

Change
02-11-2008, 01:35 PM
No way, are you kidding, do you remember what Huckabee did in West Viriginia with the Ron Paul Delegates?

He is so not trustworthy.

slacker921
02-11-2008, 01:48 PM
"He needs 83% of the remaining delegates." .. ahhh.. can you elaborate on this? Are you assuming the delegate count for McCain is accurate? Are you assuming all of Romney's delegates go to McCain?

filmmaker58
02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
But if McCain wins the remaining states, doesn't that kill the brokered convention? I'm not sure how this works, but if it goes to a brokered convention, all delegates are up for grabs right? The ideal would be for Paul to win the remaining states, so we should go for it in Texas, but in states where it's just not going to happen, wouldn't a Huck win benefit us at the convention?

spacehabitats
02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I am sorry to be so vehement about this. I know that there is and has been a lot of confusion and honest controversy about campaign strategies on this and various websites. Some people have been making a lot of unsupported claims about the numbers of "Ron Paul" delegates (stealthy or otherwise). The numbers of committed delegates, how long they are committed, under which circumstances they are committed, when they can vote for their "real" preference, and even how and when the national delegates (the only ones that really count) are selected seems to vary depending on who you talk to and which state you are in. For example, I am a delegate to my county convention in Iowa. I will have to be selected as a delegate to the state convention and after I get there, be selected to go to the national convention before I would even have a chance to vote for Ron Paul.
1) We KNOW that we want as many people as possible to hear Ron Paul's message.
2) We KNOW that it would help our credibility, (and possibly our delegate count) to have higher percentages of the popular vote is in as many primaries as possible.

Too many people claim to understand this process without having any credentials or authorization from the Ron Paul organization. Frustrated by the low numbers in popular vote counts, too many people are giving up on tried and true strategies like taking our message to the voters and then getting our supporters to the polls. I know that we have not gotten the best direction from HQ in the past, however...

Before anybody advocates a strategy as risky and non-intuitive as voting for one of our opponents, I think we should get a green light from Ron Paul himself!

filmmaker58
02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
How could he openly come out and tell us to support someone else? I don't pretend to understand the whole process, but if McCain continues to win states, then there will be no brokered convention. Educate me if I'm wrong.

Eponym_mi
02-11-2008, 02:03 PM
How could he openly come out and tell us to support someone else? I don't pretend to understand the whole process, but if McCain continues to win states, then there will be no brokered convention. Educate me if I'm wrong.

He won't suggest that we support anyone else, and most of us wouldn't anyway. A brokered convention would be nice, but I'm not going compromise my principles and vote for a moron just to get one. You Huckabee supporters need to go away...you couldn't pay me to vote for that Gomer Pyle look alike.:rolleyes:

ambiguousscion
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
This is stupid... Just vote for RP.

filmmaker58
02-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Look at my past posts. Look at my commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbFb6tt2-GA
I'm no Huckabee suporter. I'm a Ron Paul delegate and precinct captain in Nevada, and an organizer in my county. I'm just not ready to become a "protest voter" if there is still a chance for victory. How many more states does McCain need to secure the nomination? I don't know, so I'm asking. The goal has always been a brokered convention, because ron Paul has a lot more potential delegates (like me) than anyone thinks. If McCain wins the nomination, most of the delegates in the county that I am helping to organize will not go to the state convention because, what's the point? If we still have a chance at a brokered convention, then we should do whatever we can to achieve it. I'd vote for Hitler if was a means to an end to get Ron Paul as President.

nate895
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM
No way, are you kidding, do you remember what Huckabee did in West Viriginia with the Ron Paul Delegates?

He is so not trustworthy.

He hasn't done anything yet, they haven't selected them yet.

Thanehand
02-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Are you kidding?!
Doing this will undermine our campaign!

Rest assured, if the media saw Ron's support drop and Huck's grow, it would be used as an opportunity to show that Ron is out... further disenfranchising our cause.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but my gut questions your motives in posting this.

LibertyEagle
02-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Vote for Ron Paul.

Eleutheros
02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
He won't suggest that we support anyone else, and most of us wouldn't anyway. A brokered convention would be nice, but I'm not going compromise my principles and vote for a moron just to get one. You Huckabee supporters need to go away...you couldn't pay me to vote for that Gomer Pyle look alike.:rolleyes:

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-002.gif

QFT

Brian in Maryland
02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
:)I am voting for Ron Paul tomorrow.:)

Exponent
02-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Even if this argument holds any water, it only does so when dealing with winner-take-all systems. In all of the proportional states, it shouldn't matter at all, regardless of all the other details of the process.

jeffrey7
02-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm no Huckabee suporter. I'm a Ron Paul delegate and precinct captain in Nevada, and an organizer in my county.

Then start acting like one.