PDA

View Full Version : Is the internet really going to change politics?

DJ RP
02-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm upset. At the beginning of this revolution I was excited to see how ron paul dominated the internet. It seemed to be saying the youth were more informed and they knew who the right candidate was. That the internet generation had dropped the shackles of the mainstream media lies and were now capable, thanks to the free exchange of information on the internet, to make the correct decision.

Well if this is true. How do we explain barack obama now devestating everywhere. His videos showing up in the top rated videos on youtube, his speeches being digged more than anyone else. People going crazy for this dude.

And yet he is just politics as usual with some obvious buzzwords. Why are people falling for this? Are the internet generation just as retarded as the older generation :(

Discuss.

Elijah
02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
MSM has motives bro.

PaulineDisciple
02-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I have went through periods of excitement followed by disappointment, but look at it this way, we have made a lot of progress in the space of one year and the Ron Paul Revolution is much bigger than Ron Paul.

For one, they did give him some airtime eventhough this time was usually used to marginalize him. Secondly, people are starting to wake up to the radical corruption that our government is involved in and they are ready to start doing something about it. Lastly, people with views similar to Ron Paul are begining to realize that unless they start running for office we shouldn't expect any long term change and so they are getting more involved in politics. We have a network of like minded individuals that we would be fools not to take full advantage of the on-line network that we have established.

I have personally changed the mind of several of my friends by educating them about the constitution and how the "patriot" and military commisions act are in direct violation of the 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th amendment and showing how they are using this so-called "war on terror" to scare us into giving up our rights. To top it off I show them the de-classified documents of many of the secret operations that our government has been involved in over the last 5 or 6 decades and this usually either convinces them or they go running off to stick their head in the sand somewhere. I challenge people to go to the national security archive located on George Washington Universities website and to look up the following documentation:

Operation AJAX where our CIA was guilty of performing terrorist activities in order overthrow a democratically elected president so that they can set up a military dictatorship.

The Gulf of Tonkin incident and how our government lied about what happened to drum up public support to go to war in Vietnam.

Operation Northwoods where our joint chiefs of staff drew up plans to perform terrorists activities on American citizens and/or military personnel in order do get the American public to be willing to invade Cuba, sound familiar?

Notice a pattern in all of this? Yes, it should become readily appearant that the highest officials in our government has been compromised for a long time and that they most certainly do not have American citizens best interest at heart. When you follow the money in all of this, you discover that it is the military-industrial complex that stand to profit from all of these wars.

Everytime Ron Paul pointed this outin the MSM, I cheered because I knew that this could start intelligent people to start thinking about the true motives of our leaders.

So I am convinced that if we keep fighting like we have this year we will see real change in the next 5-10 years.

Ex Post Facto
02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
The Obama people are admirable, in the plight for 'Change.' They are where I was when I was a teenager. These people want a difference, and change in a new direction, but they haven't identified what Change is needed. In fact, outside of telling stories, I've yet to hear Obama say what exactly he will change. When they elect Obama, and they don't feel it has changed in any significant way...they will come flocking to our side. I see this as a possibility. We have 4 years to make this work.

Mach
02-11-2008, 03:33 PM
"Is the Internet really going to change politics?"

It's going to be more of a..... Politics changing the Internet, one way or the other. "They", don't like actual freedom or opinion.

Did you know that you are being "watched" right now.............. everyone is.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/homefront/

http://stopthespying.org/more.html

Hopefully I'm not "annoying you."

http://www.news.com/Create-an-e-annoyance,-go-to-jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html

Mesogen
02-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Over half the voters are over 60.

Over half the people on the internet are under 40.

If the young people get off their asses and make a trip to the voting booth every once and a while, then maybe the internet will finally change politics.

One thing's for sure. It has changed fundraising and grassroots coordination.

LukeNM
02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Over half the voters are over 60.

Over half the people on the internet are under 40.

I would say that over half the voters that vote in primaries are over 60 and a larger percentage are women too. But a different group will dominate the polls on general election day...

american.swan
02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Looking at the title of this thread...I don't think the Internet is going to change politics because the mindless masses don't research and believe the media does a good job of researching for them.

Also, the media says the "kooks" online support 'some candidate'. This needs to seriously be countered. Every Ron Paul supporter should call into receptive radio shows and announce, 'host, do you surf the internet?' answer 'yes'. response, 'so are you a kook?'

DJ RP
02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for some of the responses in this thread, but I think a few missed the point.

I'm not talking about the votes in the real world, I know there are a lot of spoonfed msn people. that is almost to be expected.

I'm just asking why the internet generation who I had hoped were more clued up and informed were suddenly supporting obama so hard.

All his videos are top rated in the politics section on youtube and his pages get dugg up all the time on digg.com. All the while intelligent computer, internet literate people are creating groups to digg down Ron Paul, all the while screaming about Obama's "change."

And these are the young people of our future.

I know there are many ron paul supporters, but it also seems there are tons of people outside of the MSM who are just as easily fooled by the Obama rhetoric.

I thought before that it was obvious that on the Internet Ron Paul could not be touched, now I realise all that was needed was the same bullshit but coming out of a slightly younger guy who is a bit more charismatic than bush...

Sad :(

bjhe333
02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
I would just like to repeat in general what was stated earlier. This is bigger than the 2008 election. If he doesn't get elected now he will have a better chance in 4 years. talk to your grandparents and parents. They will be difficult but if you listen to what they say you can spin most of their comments to make them realize they are doing what they say they hate. I'm voting republican no matter what is something you may hear. Ask them what a republican is and they will mention almost every characteristic of Ron Paul. I've tried this many times and 90% of the time I get a response of " I guess you are right" Than once you show them the facts they become irritated just like you and I and will vote R.P. Hope this helps