PDA

View Full Version : Me - For Indiana State Rep?

nullvalu
02-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Filing is coming down to the line here in Indiana. The incumbent hasn't filed yet for State Rep and I'm wondering if I should just throw my hat in the ring.

Problem is, I have a full time job that I would not be able to afford to give up. State Reps here in Indiana only pays something like 11k/year + reimbursements etc. I've heard they're only in session for like 3 mos out of the year, so it's not so bad.

Would I have to try to strike up a deal with my employer? Are there laws for this kind of thing?

Does anyone know more about this position, what's all involved, and any specifics on Indiana if anyone out there knows them?

thanks

Melissa
02-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I dont know nothing about this but I say go for it

Nyte
02-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Your employer would probably work some deal with you.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind having one of their employees sitting in the state legislature.

hopeforamerica
02-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Do it!!!!!!!!!!!

nullvalu
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Your employer would probably work some deal with you.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind having one of their employees sitting in the state legislature.

Unfortunately I work out of state. I live sort of near Illinois/Indiana border and work in Illinois. But we do do a lot of business in Indiana. hmm.....

zahirakids
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Filing is coming down to the line here in Indiana. The incumbent hasn't filed yet for State Rep and I'm wondering if I should just throw my hat in the ring.

Problem is, I have a full time job that I would not be able to afford to give up. State Reps here in Indiana only pays something like 11k/year + reimbursements etc. I've heard they're only in session for like 3 mos out of the year, so it's not so bad.

Would I have to try to strike up a deal with my employer? Are there laws for this kind of thing?

Does anyone know more about this position, what's all involved, and any specifics on Indiana if anyone out there knows them?

thanks

I would talk to your boss. Most tend to be accommodating. Here in VT the house is in session from Jan - April and pays $25,000 a year. Think as a yearly salary for three months $44,000 a year right?

theantirobot
02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Absolutely try to strike up a deal with your employer! Do what you need to do.

nullvalu
02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
I would talk to your boss. Most tend to be accommodating. Here in VT the house is in session from Jan - April and pays $25,000 a year. Think as a yearly salary for three months $44,000 a year right?

This may sound like a dumb question, but what do the state reps do when they're not in session? Just chill/work for the rest of the year unless a special session is called?

zahirakids
02-11-2008, 10:56 AM
This may sound like a dumb question, but what do the state reps do when they're not in session? Just chill/work for the rest of the year unless a special session is called?

most have full time jobs that they go back to or are self employed. Some are retired also.

zahirakids
02-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I ran for state house in 2006 but that was a losing year for anyone with an R next to their name.

nullvalu
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
most have full time jobs that they go back to or are self employed. Some are retired also.

Right thats what I figured. Also, since I have a family, kids, and live like 3 hours from Indy, daily commuting would be out of the question. During active session, does the house meet 5 days a week Mon-Fri? I'm just not sure how I'd work that with kids, school, etc. hmm

Nyte
02-11-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure how it works in Indiana, but here in Utah the legislators get a per diem to help pay for gas, hotel and food.

Slugg
02-11-2008, 11:14 AM

thanks

Step 1) Call your local Republican party...tell them you want the job if possible.....
Step 2) Ask them the questions
Step 3) work out the details
Step 4) Win

Caveat: Find other incumbants and call them...ask them the logistical questions. I'm sure most of them are nice enough to answer them. If they don't, tell me. I'll call them and write an article about them....I'll need an "interview." I hope it works out for you....seriously.

nullvalu
02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure how it works in Indiana, but here in Utah the legislators get a per diem to help pay for gas, hotel and food.

Would anyone know where to find the specifics on this for Indiana? THX

nullvalu
02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Step 1) Call your local Republican party...tell them you want the job if possible.....
Step 2) Ask them the questions
Step 3) work out the details
Step 4) Win

Caveat: Find other incumbants and call them...ask them the logistical questions. I'm sure most of them are nice enough to answer them. If they don't, tell me. I'll call them and write an article about them....I'll need an "interview." I hope it works out for you....seriously.

Good points, thanks.. Are you in Indiana?

nullvalu
02-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Would anyone know where to find the specifics on this for Indiana? THX

bump..

Slugg
02-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Good points, thanks.. Are you in Indiana?

No, I'm in Bahrain as a Navy contractor; but I call Texas my home.

allyinoh
02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
DO IT!! What do you have to lose?

MicheleFloyd
02-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't know if you're in my district or not, but if you happen to be on my ballot then I will vote for you, since we have an important hero in common.

Dustancostine
02-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Go for it Null.

utrunner07
02-11-2008, 01:22 PM
might as well run, everyone else on this board is....Hey, I like Bronco's football so I think I am going to try out for starting QB this off season!!!!

utrunner07
02-11-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't know if you're in my district or not, but if you happen to be on my ballot then I will vote for you, since we have an important hero in common.

That is a wonderful reason to vote for somebody!!! Here I am just voting for someone who has the same favorite color as me, dang it! [/sarcasm off]

nullvalu
02-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Well I read that it is a Mo-Fri thing. I've got 3 small kids that I can't be away from for entire weeks at a time. My wife would go insane. So, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to this until the kids are a bit older. Damn.. I'm going to have to find someone to talk into running. :)

Shabow
02-11-2008, 01:34 PM
I wish I could vote for you!