PDA

View Full Version : Report from Ames

John of Des Moines
08-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Left Ames at about 5 p.m.
Ron's site: 60x100 White tent in center front of the site (about 60 feet from the sidewalk parking lot to the east), 10 to 20 feet from the shared sidewalk with T.Thompson. Smaller 20x20 tent behind and to the side of Fischer. There were about 30 volunteers on site buying t-shirts waiting for instruction in the arranging of the table and chairs. 10 working on vinyl sign with Ernie of Phoenix that will be suspended between two cranes so it will be above roof of the large tent so it will be seen at least from the Fox booth. :D Even though it was 90 there was a nice breeze so it was nice under the tent. NO campaign had AC, Fairtax had it. Volunteers were lining the hill that runs from Fischer about 20 feet, with large 4x8 signs also viewable from the Fox booth. :eek:

Saw about 75 + volunteers come and go thru-out the day and know another 25 were in the area.

Others:
Mitt's had a sound stage to the right and a large tent to the left. Planning to have volunteers walk with signs the catwalk that circles Mitt's site. Had 100 paid workers on site.

T/ Thompson: Had large tent upfront and back from the shared sidewalk. Two 20x20 tents back near in n/s lines with rear of Paul's tent - he had maybe 10 people working under his tent. (At about 3 pm the local ABC reporter "Sunny" and interviewed Big Joe of the campaign with a big RP sign behind him. A Tommy staffer ran over to make sure he was going to interviewed - had to keep pushing back on his Tommy label id - too funny - had he just waited Sunny was making the rounds of all the tents, knuckle head.) (Sunny did RP debate rally supporters good last week.)

On Noon walk:
Brownback had a large tent and a couple of mediums. He and Mitt are enclosed to protect them from the breeze.
Cox: His guys arrived at noon and started to label a truck load of Jay's Potato Chips with Cox stickers. Offered them some RP volunteers to help them out, they declined.
Others were just beginning to set-up large tents at noon. Nothing stood out at me and said "That's cool" then.

Hope that southwest breeze continues.

Thanks for all the support from around the nation and the world. (Got an email from Ireland yesterday!)

John

cujothekitten
08-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the update! Have you guys thought about renting some AC or those fans that spray a fine mist on people... it might get more over to the tent simply to cool off.

FreedomLover
08-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Yeah, it would be pretty cool if you got one those mist-fans they use in the nfl.

Either way, thanks for the update. I wonder how Mitt is feelin paying hundreds of people and thousands more to vote for him, for a straw poll that hes expected to win by a large margin anyway. Really took the wind out of his sails when the "top 3" in the scientific polls didnt bother wanting to show up I bet.

John of Des Moines
08-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Campaign rented 3 big 4 foot fans. All local fans rented to state fair. Put out call to meetup members the bring big fans. As long as the breeze keeps it should be fine.

RJB
08-10-2007, 07:13 PM
When will they announce the winner of the Ames straw poll?

JosephTheLibertarian
08-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Will you be there through the night?

tiznow
08-10-2007, 07:15 PM
results of straw poll come out around 7 or 7:30 pm tomorrow night

tiznow
08-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Isolated thunderstorms in the morning. Skies will become partly cloudy later in the day. Hot. High 93F. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

sounds like we will have a good wind nice. hopefully rain stays away.

CJLauderdale4
08-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the updates, John...
Keep'em coming!!

John of Des Moines
08-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Will be on site in the a.m. at 5:30. If someone has a computer and can grab a wave I'll see what I can do.