PDA

View Full Version : Talkin to truckers.

honkywill
08-10-2007, 05:11 PM
So this past week I was trained to work the "truck stop" side of the convenience store/truck stop I work at.

After having a discussion with a Fred Thompson(YUCK) supporting trucker about Ron Paul(who he had never heard of) I decided it wouldn't be such a bad idea to lay a libertycard on the counter and see what happened.

I keep the counter tv on c-span because I've learned that it starts up politically oriented conversations, and I like to hear the Ron Paul supporters swamp the shows with questions. What can I say? I guess it's just comforting hearing the voices of other sane people.

So at one point in during the broadcast they are discussing Fred Thompson(YUCK) and the following conversation ensues...

C-span: Fred Thompson this, Fred Thompson that. BLAHBLAHBLAH.
Trucker: You know who I like?
Me: Who do you like?
Trucker: FRED DALTON.
Me: Fred WHO?
Me: Who the hell is that?
Trucker: Ya ever watch Law and Order?
Me: You mean Fred Thompson.

I imagine this hurt him because I'm 21, he's probably 38, and I knew his favorite candidate's name.

Trucker: Oh. I like em.
Me: I like RON PAUL.
Trucker: Doesn't recognize.
Me: Yeah, he is the only one running that makes any sense or seems honest. Probably because he is honest.
Trucker: *Dreaming of sucking off Fred Thompson.*
Me: I don't understand what's so special about Fred Thompson.
Trucker: *licks lips and then breaks out of dream* ...Well I DON'T see what's so special about HEEL-ARY.
Me: ...Neither do I, or any of the Democrats or the rest of the Republicans.

I told him I'd love to talk more but the line is too long, which it was, and I would've loved to talk to him.

But that's not all.

There was another trucker that saw the card and voiced his approval of the good doctor. I told him about the local meetup group and he informed me he had a cigar shop in town and that he wouldn't mind some cards to put in his shop. In fact his shop is right on the main highway. I asked him if he would like to put a sign up, he said he would have to consult the owner of the complex in which his store resides.

KICK ASS.

shrugged0106
08-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Truckers are primed for Dr. Paul and just need the introduction done well.

Sattelite radio is a huge venue to reach them.

FreedomLover
08-10-2007, 05:18 PM
So this past week I was trained to work the "truck stop" side of the convenience store/truck stop I work at.

After having a discussion with a Fred Thompson(YUCK) supporting trucker about Ron Paul(who he had never heard of) I decided it wouldn't be such a bad idea to lay a libertycard on the counter and see what happened.

I keep the counter tv on c-span because I've learned that it starts up politically oriented conversations, and I like to hear the Ron Paul supporters swamp the shows with questions. What can I say? I guess it's just comforting hearing the voices of other sane people.

So at one point in during the broadcast they are discussing Fred Thompson(YUCK) and the following conversation ensues...

C-span: Fred Thompson this, Fred Thompson that. BLAHBLAHBLAH.
Trucker: You know who I like?
Me: Who do you like?
Me: Fred WHO?
Me: Who the hell is that?
Trucker: Ya ever watch Law and Order?
Me: You mean Fred Thompson.

I imagine this hurt him because I'm 21, he's probably 38, and I knew his favorite candidate's name.

Trucker: Oh. I like em.
Me: I like RON PAUL.
Trucker: Doesn't recognize.
Me: Yeah, he is the only one running that makes any sense or seems honest. Probably because he is honest.
Trucker: *Dreaming of sucking off Fred Thompson.*
Me: I don't understand what's so special about Fred Thompson.
Trucker: *licks lips and then breaks out of dream* ...Well I DON'T see what's so special about HEEL-ARY.
Me: ...Neither do I, or any of the Democrats or the rest of the Republicans.

I told him I'd love to talk more but the line is too long, which it was, and I would've loved to talk to him.

But that's not all.

There was another trucker that saw the card and voiced his approval of the good doctor. I told him about the local meetup group and he informed me he had a cigar shop in town and that he wouldn't mind some cards to put in his shop. In fact his shop is right on the main highway. I asked him if he would like to put a sign up, he said he would have to consult the owner of the complex in which his store resides.

KICK ASS.

lol, perfect example of what political support comes down to these days.

"I saw em on the tv, hes tall and bald and looks like he could kill ya juts be looking at ya. He says stuff about trucks and hilary being a commie and that makes me feel safe, i know absolutely nothing about him, but fox news talks about him all the time so he must be preseedenteeal material"

Hurricane Bruiser
08-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Truckers who support Ron Paul could put small R{evol}ution signs on the back of their trucks and be seen by EVERYONE. I'm not sure how best to target them though.

OURPLAN
08-10-2007, 05:54 PM
When I drove from Nashville to Norfolf, Va the majority of people who HONKED at my HONK FOR RON PAUL sign were truckers.. About 20 total. I was hidden behind the sign on the passenger side, so no, they couldn't see that I was a hot babe. hahahhahahha.;)
They only saw my sign. So, they were REAL honks for Ron Paul.

Bossobass
08-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Great story. Here's some fuel that has worked for me, FWIW:

With China building ports in Mexico and with the Nafta Super Highway being begun, both the Longshormen and US truckers will suffer an end-around them both in one fell swoop.

I also like to mention the 'safety demonstration program' Bush initiated earlier this year, which few have even heard of. In part:

"Over the last twelve years, there has been a long, on-going conversation about the safety, security, environmental, and economic issues involved with allowing trucks from Mexico to operate in the U.S. beyond the border zones. This conversation has occurred between DOT and Mexico’s Ministry of Communications and Transport; it has occurred between the Presidents of our nations; it has occurred in the House and Senate chambers; it has occurred in the media; it has occurred in front of a NAFTA dispute settlement panel, a U.S. Court of Appeals, and even the United States Supreme Court. What this conversation made clear is that there were a number of important and difficult issues that had to be addressed before we could move forward with a graduated border opening.

For that reason, the Administration is implementing a limited one-year demonstration project to authorize up to 100 Mexican trucking companies to perform long-haul operations within the U.S. These companies will be limited to transporting international freight and will not be authorized to make domestic deliveries between U.S. cities. Likewise, under this program, Mexico will grant authority to an equivalent number of U.S. companies to make deliveries between the U.S. and Mexico. This will be the first time that American trucks have been allowed to make deliveries in Mexico in over twenty-five years. The U.S. and Mexican governments have established two groups to provide oversight for the demonstration project. The first, a bi-national group, will provide continuous monitoring of the project and identify and resolve any implementation issues as they arise. The second, an evaluation group composed only of U.S. representatives knowledgeable with the issue, will be tasked with measuring and evaluating the results of the demonstration project. We believe that this combination of monitoring and oversight will both provide the means for addressing implementation issues in a timely fashion and also an independent means for objective evaluation of the project once it is complete."

The NAU is coming fast. We will all be displaced, IMO.
EXECUTIVE ORDER 11004 allows the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate communities, build new housing with public funds, designate areas to be abandoned, and establish new locations for populations.

They can move you out of your neighborhood and move the pre-trained Chinese office workers right in...by the millions.

Ron Paul or the above. Take your pick.

Bosso

BuddyRey
08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
My dad and I are both truckers, and HUGE Ron Paul fans!

Probably the reason there aren't more of us is because truckers don't get much of an opportunity to access the only completely unbiased source of information and multimedia in the world today (the net). If they could access the net or, more realistically, hear more coverage of RP on radio (satellite or terrestrial), I'd bet my bottom dollar you'd see a truckers become a huge faction of the RP Revolution. Think about this; American truckers are, for the most part, natural lovers of adventure, liberty, and immersing themselves in the sights and sounds of their great nation. They're practially born Ron Paul supporters, even if they don't know it yet!

shrugged0106
08-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Probably the reason there aren't more of us is because truckers don't get much of an opportunity to access the only completely unbiased source of information and multimedia in the world today (the net). If they could access the net or, more realistically, hear more coverage of RP on radio (satellite or terrestrial), I'd bet my bottom dollar you'd see a truckers become a huge faction of the RP Revolution. Think about this; American truckers are, for the most part, natural lovers of adventure, liberty, and immersing themselves in the sights and sounds of their great nation. They're practially born Ron Paul supporters, even if they don't know it yet!

cool! hey, what are the rules regarding throwing out Dr. Paul support via your C.B. Radio?
Seems like an awesome mode of communication

specsaregood
08-10-2007, 06:31 PM

Can both of you think and come up with some good ways some of us can reach the truckers?

Just brainstorming....
1. Grab a C.B. and camp out at some truck stops or rest stops during night/evening hours?
2. Which radio stations/shows would be best to target? I assume coast to coast am would be a good one.
3. How about some targetted bullet point issues to put on flyers to post at rest stops?

I'm sure there are some great ways to target truckers specifically; give us guidance and let us help spread the word.

tiznow
08-10-2007, 06:33 PM
since when have truckers voted especially in a primary/caucus? Evangelicals with Ron Paul's statement of faith as the weapon and the college students (I live by a university) will be my main targets after all the straw poll madness ends, convincing truckers seems like a waste of time, plus those that you "awaken" probably will be on the road in a truck when voting time rolls around.

specsaregood
08-10-2007, 06:36 PM
since when have truckers voted especially in a primary/caucus?

Since when have the MAJORITY of Americans...
Truckers on the road can vote via absentee ballot. Bringing in any demographic that has been systematically disenfranchised is a good thing.

BuddyRey
08-10-2007, 06:51 PM
cool! hey, what are the rules regarding throwing out Dr. Paul support via your C.B. Radio?
Seems like an awesome mode of communication

I have to confess that I don't know anything about CB radio. We've never used one before, because we spend most of our time glued to Sirius Satellite Radio (Howard Stern and Sirius Left are our favorites, though we surf a lot!)

tiznow
08-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Since when have the MAJORITY of Americans...
Truckers on the road can vote via absentee ballot. Bringing in any demographic that has been systematically disenfranchised is a good thing.

absentee ballot with the caucuses/primary? I know for caucuses you must be in person to participate as far as primaries if they have them I doubt they get many absentee ballots. Our focus in the caucuses/primaries not the general election. Not trying to downplay ideas here just think there are much better targets out there.

BuddyRey
08-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Can both of you think and come up with some good ways some of us can reach the truckers?

Just brainstorming....
1. Grab a C.B. and camp out at some truck stops or rest stops during night/evening hours?
2. Which radio stations/shows would be best to target? I assume coast to coast am would be a good one.
3. How about some targetted bullet point issues to put on flyers to post at rest stops?

I'm sure there are some great ways to target truckers specifically; give us guidance and let us help spread the word.

These are all great ideas! I'd also consider putting Ron Paul cards or slimjims in hotel rooms, though the maids might just throw 'em out. Maybe you could get crafty, by folding them inside those Gideons' Bibles! :D I'm not sure about all hotels, but some have little bulletin cork boards in the lobbies. These might also come in handy!

Truck stops are probably the BEST bet. We've been to certain stops along I-95 on the way to Virginia, Maryland, etc. where trucks are literally sitting in the lot in DROVES!!! It would be tiring work, but if one was of a mind to, one could tape cards or slimjims onto the outside of door handles, or perhaps set a stack of them inside if the manager wasn't averse to the idea.

Radio stations are another good one. Satellite seems to be the "next thing" in auditory entertainment, so the more we can advertise on satellite, the better! The only bad thing is that the talk radio stations are so polarized. Left-wing talkers aren't likely to support RP because of his economic policies, and right-wing talkers aren't likely to support him for his foreign policy stance. We'd have to hit hosts who are passionatate, but not bogged down by partisanship.

Getting to truckers will require some finesse, but I'll definitely ask my dad, and we'll keep looking for worthy ideas.

Shink
08-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Truckers who support Ron Paul could put small R{evol}ution signs on the back of their trucks and be seen by EVERYONE. I'm not sure how best to target them though.

For people who live near major population areas, or with truck stops that see TONS of truckers, make up a ton of signs, banners, literature, and have a little stand or something set up. I'm sure truckers love the radio and hate taxes, so hit on his opposition to the UnFairness Doctrine and his awesome 'f**k taxes' stance.

tiznow
08-10-2007, 07:05 PM
that's true didn't think about the free advertisement they could provide