PDA

View Full Version : This Sucks, but we need help in Indiana!

JeffersonAndLiberty
02-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Posted on DP:

We've got an emergency here in Indiana relating to getting Ron Paul on the ballot. Due to disinformation that I still can't sort out, we need to collect about 500 signatures from Indiana residents especially from Monroe County. I've been out of town working with the grassroots campaign in New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida and Missouri.

My name is Aaron Jones - I'm the assistant Meetup organizer for the Bloomington Ron Paul group. We need your help getting this urgent need out to the public. Anyone who cares about the democratic process would want every choice to be included on the ballot in Indiana. You need not be a supporter of Ron Paul to sign this petition. Please urge those who would sign this petition to go to "Baked of Bloomington" located at 113 W. 7th Street, in between College Ave. and Walnut St. next to Max's Place.

We must have these petitions by Monday night. (feb 11th)

If you can please help by printing these petitions and getting indiana signatures: http://www.in.gov/sos/pdf...

Turn them in to Baked of Bloomington 113 W. 7th by tomorrow night!
(they are open till 2 am or later)

----------
here is an email I received:

We still desperately need sigs in the 4th, 8th, and 9th . . . they have to be turned in to the respecitve county clerk by noon on Tuesday Feb 12, retrieved by whomever delivers them to the county, and then immediately gotten to John Downey so we can file them with all other petitions the week of Feb 18th. If we don't get 500 verified sigs in each of the nine congressional districts, we don't get on the ballot anywhere in Indiana.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

joe

Please deliver all county-verified signatures as soon as they're retrieved to:

John Downey
2243 US Hwy 52 W #221
W Lafayette, IN 47906

Austin
02-11-2008, 01:40 AM
Good God if the campaign screws this up I will personally get a hold of Downey and strangle the life out of him...¹

I worked hard to get dozens of signatures in my county, and we were told weeks ago that we had enough signatures in ALL districts. Oh man am I pissed right now.. :mad:

¹ not really

morlhzd
02-11-2008, 01:45 AM
how is it possible to still need signatures?

Austin
02-11-2008, 02:00 AM
how is it possible to still need signatures?

Because they emailed us in January saying they had all of the signatures they needed, so the grassroots stopped collecting signatures.

Though we have enough signatures to meet the minimum in every district we would like to add a buffer to our numbers that will ensure a Ron Paul ballot placement. We would like to get another 150 signatures in districts 1 and 2 or if you have signatures on hand you haven't sent to me (John Downey) please let me know. We have a goal of another 150 signatures to get and a little under 2 weeks in which to do it.

And now, they are saying we need even more signatures in even more districts, several days later! John Downey is a paid staffer, and he was back on board months ago, back when we had already collected hundreds of signatures throughout the state. If he fucks this up..

We have completed our petition drives in the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th Congressional Districts of Indiana.

However, in order to be on the ballot ANYWHERE in Indiana, we must complete the drive in the remaining Congressional Districts: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 8th, and 9th

Ex Post Facto
02-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Can you do the online signatures? Or, do they have to be hand written? If online set up a online petition and e-mail all the meetup groups. If hand written I guess the meetup groups can fill them in.

In North Carolina we are facing the same thing possibly. But we will need 10,000 signatures within a weeks time.

stewie3128
02-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Further proof that we have saboteurs involved in this campaign.

Wish I could do something, but I'm all the way out here in San Fran.

BreakYourChains
02-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Because they emailed us in January saying they had all of the signatures they needed, so the grassroots stopped collecting signatures.

And now, they are saying we need even more signatures in even more districts, several days later! John Downey is a paid staffer, and he was back on board months ago, back when we had already collected hundreds of signatures throughout the state. If he fucks this up..

Yes, if he screwed this up, it was intentional, as many of us feared back then. But, no one would listen to our concerns. Let us hope we have the signatures. Talk about infiltration, happens even at this level. Perhaps Mr. Downey lied all along about being paid staff, just to stop us. Perhaps he was paid staff, just not Ron Paul's paid staff. We will see.....

Austin
02-11-2008, 02:13 AM
He is clearly a paid staffer for the Ron Paul campaign, since the emails were sent out through the ronpaul2008 mailer. I will have to go have a chat with him if Ron is not on the Indiana ballot.

Ex Post Facto
02-11-2008, 02:16 AM
I just found this, RE: Indiana Ballot (http://www.nolanchart.com/article1295.html). Published January 19, 2008

Ron Paul Indiana Ballot Drive Is Done

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My sources say that the signatures are already collected. Gambling911.com is a little slow on the story. Ron Paul supporters need to focus their time on things that matter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by DigitalBob
(Libertarian)
I ran a Google search for "Ron Paul Indiana Ballot" and found this article Indiana Works to Get Ron Paul on Ballot. It was posted yesterday. It goes into great detail what every one can do to get Ron Paul on the ballot in time for the Indiana primary May 6th.

Although the information seems correct, the author, Bob Minarik, missed a little bit of research--the signatures have already been collected!

According to the RonPaulForums.com, the Indiana signature drive has been running strong since November.

Nilson Clark of the Michiana Meet Up group #209 reports at 3:19 p.m. Jan 18. that all the signatures have been collected. A few days ago, when I first researched this, district #5 (of Indiana's nine districts) was the only one that was short. Apparently that's no longer the case. I held off reporting that until the situation stabilized.

From our previous emails, Nilson is pretty knowledgeable and realistic. He did his research and reported this to his group:

I just got off the phone with John Downey, the guy responsible for obtaining ballot access here in Indiana. He said that every district is in the clear!

I told him that we still have a bunch of signatures to turn in, and he said to go right on ahead, it's better to be safe than sorry. So this is for everyone that has collected any signatures: Please turn them in to your county clerk's office by February 12th, preferably at least a week before. Ask them to verify them while you're still there, and once they've done this, get the signature sheet back and find a way to get it to either Ray Jensen or myself, as we'll be FedExing them down to Indy. If you don't know where the county clerk's office is in your particular county and can't find it online, email me, I'll help you find it.

So the signatures have been collected. They just have to be turned in. There is plenty of time, but using FedEx can't hurt.

Mr. Minarik seems like an enthusiastic supporter. But I urge all the grass roots to do their homework and verify their information. I had to update my article about the Rhode Island ballot access several times, until I knew it was final.

As I've stated in previous articles, if you want to help the campaign effort, contact your local Meet Up group or your state Ron Paul 2008 campaign office, if one exists. They will give you all sorts of ways to help your candidate. They're in the best position to tell you what's needed. If you've maxed out your amount of direct contributions, you might want to look at some advertising efforts that are counted as "independent expenditures", such as the Ron Paul Blimp or Utah Newspaper Ads, both of which I've previous written about.

Getting hundreds of more signatures in Indiana won't be a good use of time.

Austin
02-11-2008, 02:21 AM
I am one of the assistant organizers of the Michiana group, so I can vouch for Nilson Clark. Either Downey is an infiltrator and we are officially screwed, or there was a fuck up of supreme magnitude and we are still screwed.

Hopefully, they are overreacting and the email prompted hundreds of new signatures and we are in the clear. I am expecting the worst, but hoping for the best.

BigRedBrent
02-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Good God if the campaign screws this up I will personally get a hold of Downey and strangle the life out of him...¹

I worked hard to get dozens of signatures in my county, and we were told weeks ago that we had enough signatures in ALL districts. Oh man am I pissed right now.. :mad:

¹ not really

Same here. I got over 50 signatures myself in Allen County. Sounds like a few of the smaller districts was having issues or something. We was supposed to have all the signatures but lacked a few more as a buffer in case they wanted to throw some out. If they don't get him on the ballot I will be MEGA PISSED!!!

NeoRayden
02-11-2008, 03:47 AM
There are atleast 50o versions of these letters being sent out. I could not get ahold of anyone for the state campaign so I sent my lists to HQ in Dec. for La Porte County.

Regardless the only way we can make this happen in Indiana is to take over. We need a petition drive now to send to HQ telling them that because of this if the state level is not replaced with real staff we will unpledge our support on May 6th.

Melissa
02-11-2008, 03:51 AM
This is being worked on as we speak so if you want more info please let me know

Austin
02-11-2008, 03:52 AM
There are atleast 50o versions of these letters being sent out. I could not get ahold of anyone for the state campaign so I sent my lists to HQ in Dec. for La Porte County.

Regardless the only way we can make this happen in Indiana is to take over. We need a petition drive now to send to HQ telling them that because of this if the state level is not replaced with real staff we will unpledge our support on May 6th.
Absolutely. If this is not handled pronto, I will be sending an email each day to national campaign with my deep concerns, until I am contacted back personally by phone. I will not let this state be sabotaged like the many othera that have been to date. As such, I will begin my departure from HQ and I will attempt to bring everyone else with me. The Grassroots Machine only seems to be bogged down by HQ, and that, my friends, is a real problem.

mexicanpizza
02-11-2008, 04:12 AM

Absolutely. If this is not handled pronto, I will be sending an email each day to national campaign with my deep concerns, until I am contacted back personally by phone. I will not let this state be sabotaged like the many othera that have been to date. As such, I will begin my departure from HQ and I will attempt to bring everyone else with me. The Grassroots Machine only seems to be bogged down by HQ, and that, my friends, is a real problem.

I agree this sucks, but you both sound like whiny douches. There is a problem, fix it. Whine later.

"I will send an EMAIL each day..." sheesh. :rolleyes:

kaleidoscope eyes
02-11-2008, 04:14 AM

¹ not really
yeah, I got the email that said IN had enough, but they were just looking for "extras" what gives?

NeoRayden
02-11-2008, 04:15 AM
Krippy can you get a petition together please on thepetitionsite.com or something.

I can do it if you need me to but I am working on editing some video for a tv ad right now to hopefully air on wsbt and wndu if I raise enough money.

NeoRayden
02-11-2008, 04:16 AM
its not about being whiney i said we need to fix it. We send them a petetion telling them to fix it or we withdraw our support.

Melissa
02-11-2008, 08:06 AM
its not about being whiney i said we need to fix it. We send them a petetion telling them to fix it or we withdraw our support.

the grassroots are working on fixing it not sure what you this petetion is but we are have people on the ground working ion it right now if you want to help let me know

nc4rp
02-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Keep This Bumped All Day, directly tell anyone you know in Indiana, spread word to all meetups. you have all day to do this. get er done! call in sick to work/school if you have to.

Sandra
02-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Make sure the Indiana GOP isn't revising the ruled as they go.

dkim68
02-11-2008, 09:09 AM
That's right. Know the laws/rules. Make sure the Indiana GOP doesn't try to pull a fast one on you guys.

Shabow
02-11-2008, 09:09 AM
I live in Hendricks County, is there anything I can do?

jake
02-11-2008, 09:10 AM
JeffersonAndLiberty the link to the downloadable petition in the OP is broken.

CAKochenash
02-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I am the meetup organizer for Porter and LaPorte Counties, 614 & 748. If RP is not on my ballot, I hold no one to blame but John Downey. You have only returned one of my 8 emails, sir. You sent all of us emails MONTHS ago stating ***WE MADE IT***.

So we stopped gathering. Why haven't you returned any attempt to contact you either by myself, or the meetup organizers I work with in Northern Indiana?

Here is an email I received last month from an organizer in the area:

I just got off the phone with John Downey, the guy responsible for obtaining ballot access here in Indiana. He said that every district is in the clear!

I told him that we still have a bunch of signatures to turn in, and he said to go right on ahead, it's better to be safe than sorry. So this is for everyone that has collected any signatures: Please turn them in to your county clerk's office by February 12th, preferably at least a week before. Ask them to verify them while you're still there, and once they've done this, get the signature sheet back and find a way to get it to either Ray Jensen or myself, as we'll be FedExing them down to Indy. If you don't know where the county clerk's office is in your particular county and can't find it online, email me, I'll help you find it.

We can relax a little bit now as we don't have a looming deadline, but don't relax too much as Super Tuesday is coming up!

goldstandard
02-11-2008, 10:16 AM
bump

CAKochenash
02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Here is another email to me, from John.

Charlie,

We are very close to our goal of getting Ron Paul on the ballot here in the Hoosier State. As many of you know the deadline for filing signatures for verification is noon, Tuesday, Feb. 12. Then they will return the forms to us so that Ron can file his candidacy (CAN-7) by noon, Feb. 22. Signatures for every district in Indiana are currently at or on their way to election offices throughout the state.

Though we have enough signatures to meet the minimum in every district we would like to add a buffer to our numbers that will ensure a Ron Paul ballot placement. We would like to get another 150 signatures in districts 1 and 2 or if you have signatures on hand you haven't sent to me (John Downey) please let me know. We have a goal of another 150 signatures to get and a little under 2 weeks in which to do it.

If you have never seen a CAN-8 form you fill in Ron Paul as the name, Texas as the state of residence, and check the Republican box. Then when you find someone willing to sign the petition you just need to make sure they sign the sheet for their county.

The proper procedure for having CAN-8 forms verified is to take them to the the County Clerk's office for the county the signees reside. They will then arrange with you on how and when you can pick them up. The county will return to you the form with backside filled out with the number of good signatures.

Once you have forms verified send me an email at jdowney@ronpaul2008.com and we'll discuss how we are going to get them with the CAN-7 form.

John Downey
Indiana Ballot Access Coordinator
Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee
jdowney@ronpaul2008.com

kaleidoscope eyes
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
bump

Melissa
02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
hey since I have some more people in Indiana on here are you guys on board with what we are trying to do as a state with delegates please get a hold of me and will gladly tell you where we are and what we need--but working on ballots of course for a sec

hillertexas
02-11-2008, 12:01 PM
bump

nullvalu
02-11-2008, 12:06 PM

The point is we don't have time for that right now. Signatures deadline is TOMORROW at NOON.

IDefendThePlatform
02-11-2008, 12:34 PM
bump

JeffersonAndLiberty
02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
...I just copied it off a post at DP. Does anyone there have the valid signature forms? How is this going?

JeffersonAndLiberty the link to the downloadable petition in the OP is broken.

Melissa
02-11-2008, 02:43 PM
...I just copied it off a post at DP. Does anyone there have the valid signature forms? How is this going?

It is going well but We still need help anyone close to district 9 please get a hold of me

Austin
02-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Apparently, we have enough signatures, it's all about getting them to Mr. Downey physically. If you have signatures, get them verified and then PM me for John Downey's number. I won't put it out here due to the hostility.

stevedasbach
02-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Yes, if he screwed this up, it was intentional, as many of us feared back then. But, no one would listen to our concerns. Let us hope we have the signatures. Talk about infiltration, happens even at this level. Perhaps Mr. Downey lied all along about being paid staff, just to stop us. Perhaps he was paid staff, just not Ron Paul's paid staff. We will see.....

Having been involved in managing ballot drives before, what probably happened was he was provided counts from various people and assumed he had been given accurate information. We learned from experience to never count signatures until they had been independently verified and turned in.

For example: people get embarassed by the number of sigs they've collected and say they've gotten more than they have (usually fully intending to collect the rest). These "phantom signatures" can lead you astray if you don't independently verify them.

Yom
02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
This is a circus.

whutaboutbob
02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
This is a circus.

THIS IS SPARTA!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

:D

NeoRayden
02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
How is it going. I just got out of a meeting and wanted to check in.

BreakYourChains
02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
bump

Melissa
02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
we still would like help anyone close to 9th district and if not we are going down in the morning but if anyone is close please help Andrew and Aaron

Soccrmastr
02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Bump...??

NeoRayden
02-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Are we sure that this is the only area that need signature? If not we need to know now so that we can get them tongiht and tommorow morning.

BTW where is Downey and why isnt he out getting signatures? He is paid to do that not sit on his rump and f up.

LibertyBrews
02-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Are we sure that this is the only area that need signature? If not we need to know now so that we can get them tongiht and tommorow morning.

BTW where is Downey and why isnt he out getting signatures? He is paid to do that not sit on his rump and f up.

Perhaps he is.

MadTheologian
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
bump

Geronimo
02-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Why do I see no mention of this at the Daily Paul?

Melissa
02-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Why do I see no mention of this at the Daily Paul?

it is there not sure now what the thread was but it is there

NeoRayden
02-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Is there an update?

Do you still need help in the morning.

I can come down and help for two hours if you need it. I'll still be up for a bit and check back before I go to sleep.

If you need the help let me know where to meet ya'll at.

JeffersonAndLiberty
02-12-2008, 09:11 AM
bump?

nc4rp
02-12-2008, 09:36 AM
blimp

Melissa
02-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Is there an update?

Do you still need help in the morning.

I can come down and help for two hours if you need it. I'll still be up for a bit and check back before I go to sleep.

If you need the help let me know where to meet ya'll at.

I never got a call last night so all must be well ---I had people too ready to go down and help thanks for offering instead of yelling about it--hope to hear how it is going soon and will update if I do

NeoRayden
02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
February 12, 2008

We could use more "insurance" signatures in the 4th Congressional District and because of a curious local policy, we still have the opportunity to get 'em. Unlike any other county in Indiana, the County of Tippecanoe made a decision to celebrate Lincoln's Birthday and close the county offices today. Under Indiana state law, this extends our deadline in that county (AND ONLY THAT COUNTY) for one more day, until noon on February 13th.

If you're able and live in or around Tippecanoe County, please gather signatures to be turned in to Tippecanoe County before noon tomorrow, February 13, 2008. Contact me at IN_voters@ronpaul2008.com.

Almost there,

Joe Becker

Joseph F. Becker, Chief Legal Advisor and Policy Director
Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee