PDA

View Full Version : Delegate and Brokered Convention FAQ

No1ButPaul08
02-11-2008, 12:48 AM
A couple of us are working on a site gopdelegates.com. This is the FAQ that I wrote up. Please ask more questions and I will add if they are frequent enough, ha.

How Do I Become a Delegate?
Every state has a different process. http://www.gop.com/images/Press_State_Summaries.pdf
Each state will have it's own page at gopdelegates.com in the future. I realize the link doesn't show how to become a delegate.

Why Should I Become a Delegate?
Delegates hold the power in party politics at every political level; precinct, county, state, national, and everything else in between. Delegates nominate candidates, set party rules, and vote on party platforms.

What is a Brokered Convention?
A brokered convention is when no candidate for President receives a majority on the first ballot at the convention. Neither party has had a brokered convention since 1952, before most states held primaries. When this happens, delegates who become unbound as the process goes (dependent on state party rules) and can support who they choose.

What is this bound/unbound stuff I keep hearing about?
Bound is when a delegate is locked into voting for a candidate for President. Unbound delegates may vote for who they choose. Delegates can be unbound, or bound for how many ballots their state party specifies. This can be 1, 2, 3, or until they are released. Some states have interesting definitions like, "morally bound," or "bound by best efforts."

Should I still become a delegate if I were bound to a candidate I did not like?
Yes! As mentioned earlier, delegates not only nominate a candidate, they set the party rules and platform. Here's an example http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=117171

What is the Current Republican Delegate Count?
I have done my own count which I believe to be as accurate as possible. This can be found at
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p2Ua4t0-Z5pFHScTNGq7bUg

Doesn't a candidate have to win 5 states to be nominated?
Yes and No. The candidate has to be nominated by a majority of delegates from five states. In the event of a brokered convention, delegates will become unbound as the process moves along. A candidate could get nominated by a majority of delegates from 5 states without ever winning a state during the primaries.

What about the Democratic Party's Process, How Does That Work?
Don't know, don't care. Proportional superdelegates.

No1ButPaul08
02-11-2008, 01:47 AM
bump

sgrooms
02-11-2008, 01:58 AM
your spreadsheet isn't viewable.

No1ButPaul08
02-11-2008, 02:04 AM
your spreadsheet isn't viewable.

Thanks, accidently gave the link to edit the spreadsheet. Edited the original post

Bradley in DC
02-11-2008, 05:07 AM
What is a Brokered Convention?
A brokered convention is when no candidate for President receives a majority on the first ballot at the convention. Neither party has had a brokered convention since 1952, before most states held primaries. When this happens, delegates become unbound as the process goes and may support who they choose.

What is this bound/unbound stuff I keep hearing about?
Bound is when a delegate is locked into voting for a candidate for President. Unbound delegates may vote for who they choose. Delegates can be unbound, or bound for how many ballots their state party specifies. This can be 1, 2, 3, or until they are released. Some states have interesting definitions like, "morally bound," or "bound by best efforts."

I hope you see the contradiction. Delegates do not all automatically become unbound in a brokered convention (some are bound until released, others never bound). :p

Thunderbolt
02-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Have you checked the rules about becoming a delegate or becoming a member so you can vote for delegates? In my state you missed the deadline by about 3 months. Have you checked all the deadlines?

nc4rp
02-11-2008, 07:49 AM
bump. this is good stuff.

fabijo
02-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Good stuff. I added the FAQ link to the top of gopdelegates.com

fabijo
02-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Another page is up at http://gopdelegates.com
It's a quick reference for those who want to get started researching the process for their state. The page is here:
http://gopdelegates.com/?q=node/3

No1ButPaul08
02-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I hope you see the contradiction. Delegates do not all automatically become unbound in a brokered convention (some are bound until released, others never bound). :p

Yeah, I'll change the brokered convention answer to reflect that. This was put together rather quickly so by no means is it a finished product

No1ButPaul08
02-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Have you checked the rules about becoming a delegate or becoming a member so you can vote for delegates? In my state you missed the deadline by about 3 months. Have you checked all the deadlines?

In the process of going through the states. We should have a page for every state with the relevant info soon.

No1ButPaul08
02-11-2008, 01:57 PM
bump

No1ButPaul08
02-11-2008, 04:13 PM
bump