PDA

View Full Version : What's the last thing RP has passed in Congress?

ELT
02-10-2008, 11:06 PM
A bit of a "hit" piece right here in Houston tonight on the 10pm news (CBS KHOU, channel 11). Showed RP down in his home area speaking today (the Brazoria area). Was saying he was scaling back a bit on the pres. race to put more into his congressional race. Also said his congressional opponent (forget his name), says that it's been a VERY long time since RP has put anything out there that has actually passed in congress. How true is this? Anybody know what the last thing was?

Kinda would make me feel a bit useless if I could get no love from my fellow Congressmen and have them pass my stuff.

0zzy
02-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't understand Pedan's argument. Does specific legislation help his constituents? No. Paul makes compromise amendments to cut spending, and gets money back to the district, helps with federal issues for local constituents (medals for soldiers, things like that), etc.

kgiese
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Gas?

theseus51
02-10-2008, 11:25 PM
How's this question. What was the last good piece of legislation Congress passed?

Can't think of anything off hand?

Maybe passing lots of legislation isn't all it's cracked up to be. I would say near 100% of legislation passed steals more money of the people, restricts their freedom, makes government bigger and more powerful, weakens the country, and undermines the Constitution.

Spirit of '76
02-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Congressional Quarterly rated Dr. Paul one of the 50 most effective members of Congress.

Michigan11
02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Every new legislation passed is further restriction upon our freedom. Passing bills is the problems here people. Congress passes like 30,000 laws a year now, and they don't even read them anymore, as you can see why.

With that many laws, passed each year, who could read them all? Do you get it? The Shit is hitting the fan. What is legal, you as an individual are breaking laws right now that you don't even know of, that being said, at anytime, if an officer so chooses to he/she can enforce anything they want, and arrest you.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
02-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Every new legislation passed is further restriction upon our freedom. Passing bills is the problems here people. Congress passes like 30,000 laws a year now, and they don't even read them anymore, as you can see why.

With that many laws, passed each year, who could read them all? Do you get it? The Shit is hitting the fan. What is legal, you as an individual are breaking laws right now that you don't even know of, that being said, at anytime, if an officer so chooses to he/she can enforce anything they want, and arrest you.

What the hell are you talking about? Only around 300 bills a term make it through congress at present. And most of those are bills changing the names of buildings and standard administration stuff.

Congress has never read bills. You have to understand how the process works. Say there is a bill dealing with inner city transportation. That would go to the transportation committee. That is where most of the work gets done; in the committees. The guys in there do nothing but work on transportation stuff. Once it makes its way through the committee, it is sent out to the floor to be voted on. Then it is usually passed. The way it works is, if you are a republican congressman, and the republican transportation committee members like the bill: you are going to take their word for it that it is indeed a good bill. You aren't going to read the bill, because chances are you wont even know what the bill is talking about if you are on a different committee. A guy on the agriculture committee isnt going to have a clue what goes into a bill on inner city transportation.

For that matter, congressmen and senators actually dont even WRITE the bills. I bet only a handfull even know how to draft a bill. Its actually an extremely precise and complex procedure. They have staff members who are professionally trained just to write congressional bills. And usually, they dont even do that. Bills are usually written by outside special interests.

Which brings me back to another point; Net Neutrality. Who do you think is going to write the "net neutrality" legislation? The guys over at Comcast no doubt.

jumpyg1258
02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Net Neutrality. Who do you think is going to write the "net neutrality" legislation? The guys over at Comcast no doubt.

EXACTLY.

ELT
02-11-2008, 01:15 PM
The point of the thread is, Paul's opponent is making it seem like he's not getting anything done in Congress. I guess he wants people to think "Oh, let's get this guy in, cause he'll actually do stuff".

What an idiot.