PDA

View Full Version : Even if Ron Paul Were President: Then What?

RonPaul4President
05-24-2007, 02:44 PM
I agree with Ron Paul on every issue he has an opinion on, but will he have the power to do what he wants when he's President? I mean, to some degree, isn't what Ron Paul wants to do the same as what George Bush is doing but in the opposite direction?

Will Ron Paul have the power and support of Congress to do what he wants to accomplish? I certainly hope so.

ARealConservative
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
The bully pulpit is the most important reason to elect him in the first place.

His presence will bring people out of their slumber and they can start thinking for themselves again.

enan
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Hah, congress would be in a pinch. Approval of Ron Paul for doing what the democratic congress couldn't do - bring the troops back home - would skyrocket. And then let's talk about ending the income tax, or seriously curtailing it and government spending along with it. Getting rid of the fed, lack of gun control, and the like would probably be veeery touchy.

But I don't think that would matter, because RP would probably declassify a lot of information that shows that neither side is truly capable of attaining any sort of ideal. And that would prompt people to spit back out the party bullshit and start thinking for themselves. I suspect that both political parties would have a serious change in power structure, and that chance would give Ron Paul the political clout he needs to enact much of his legislation.

Gee
05-24-2007, 07:19 PM
But I don't think that would matter, because RP would probably declassify a lot of information that shows that neither side is truly capable of attaining any sort of ideal.
Oh I assure you, that information is already declassified.

I believe the internet is going to be the largest factor in the things you mention, and that Ron Paul's popularity on it is more of a symptom of what it offers rather than the cause itself (although he certainly helps spread the message).

enan
05-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Well, I'm not talking about any sort of conspiracy theory, or even their legislation. I'm just talking about the sheer negligence of the federal government in regards to its own people. What will make it richer is if names are called out, which I suspect would happen. I'd imagine both sides of the aisle will have to face a terrible judgment.

Ron Paul's idealism in the highest government office would be like having a bull in a china shop. Maybe then we can get back to being a nation of people that are talked to and approached as thinking, sentient beings with inalienable rights.

PaleoForPaul
05-25-2007, 08:39 AM
I agree with Ron Paul on every issue he has an opinion on, but will he have the power to do what he wants when he's President?

He can't just 'do what he wants'. He can change foreign policy, the president has a lot of power to do that. He can cut government programs, and just refuse to pass pork filled bills. Don't forget that he does appeal to both sides on certain issues, so I suspect he would be able to get things done, regardless of what party holds congress.

If he were to win, I think it would signal a dramatic shift in the Republican party, back to goldwaterism. His midterm elections might get many people elected who have views similar to his...

wwycher
05-25-2007, 09:54 AM
If Ron Paul gets elected, don't forget, he gets all these dictator powers that Lord Bush has given the executive branch. But it will take time.

RonPaul4President
05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
If Ron Paul gets elected, don't forget, he gets all these dictator powers that Lord Bush has given the executive branch. But it will take time.

That is a very good point! KARMA! :)

Laurie
05-25-2007, 04:06 PM
I think Congress would be forced to work with him. If they refuse I am sure they will find their offices full of angry constituents demanding to know why. <VBG> He is such an intelligent and honest man, I am sure he would bring his program to the people to let them know exactly what he was doing and why. If he can get the American People behind his policies we may be able to save our Country.

I would hope that one of his first acts would be to go through and repeal most of the Presidential Directives that have been signed over the past score of years. From what I have seen of them, most have no basis in the Constitution.

angelatc
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
I wondered about this very topic, but I think that perhaps even if they got absolutely nothing accomplished it would be a good thing.

He couldn't be in office long enough to achieve all the goals he has set.

Carl
05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I think Congress would be forced to work with him. If they refuse I am sure they will find their offices full of angry constituents demanding to know why. <VBG> He is such an intelligent and honest man, I am sure he would bring his program to the people to let them know exactly what he was doing and why. If he can get the American People behind his policies we may be able to save our Country. Ron wouldn't need Congress's cooperation to follow the Constitution. He can shut down every unconstitutional department under the control of the Executive Branch.

I would hope that one of his first acts would be to go through and repeal most of the Presidential Directives that have been signed over the past score of years. From what I have seen of them, most have no basis in the Constitution. Presidential Directives or Executive Orders that reach outside the boundaries of any department under the control of the Executive branch are unconstitutional so I'm sure Ron will deal with them appropriately.

kelldor
05-27-2007, 11:52 AM
If I was Ron Paul, and It was my 1st day in office, I would order the military to do an immediate decapitation strike on the secret government, swift, precise, and minimizing collateral damage. I would take out the CFR headquarters and each of the Federal Reserve banks. I would take out the rockefellers, and arrest the ceo's of every corporation that is a member of the trilateral commission or bilderberg group, and tell them the way it's going to be from now on, scare 'em, then release 'em. Some people are too dangerous to be released though. You have to arrest David Rockefeller and charge him with treason and send him up for life. same with Zbignew, and Robert Pastor. I know this sounds overly brutal, illegal, and there's no way Ron Paul would do this, but, he will need to take some sort of drastic measure(s) within the 1st 48 hrs to ensure his continued survival, or he'll end up like all the other presidents that were shot by the bank.

Brandybuck
05-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Ron Paul would veto nearly everything. He might not be able to roll back government, but he could do an awful lot to halt its growth.

HippyChimp
05-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Ron wouldn't need Congress's cooperation to follow the Constitution. He can shut down every unconstitutional department under the control of the Executive Branch.

one Executive Order is all it would take to abolish the IRS. the scary thing is, JFK had signed Executive Orders to abolish the Federal Reserve and the CIA and a few months later he got killed.

RonPaul4President
05-27-2007, 08:13 PM
If he signed the orders why does the CIA and Fed still exist?

Bradley in DC
05-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Ron Paul would veto nearly everything. He might not be able to roll back government, but he could do an awful lot to halt its growth.

AMEN!:)

Shii
05-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Exactly! The most important real power of the president is the veto, and Ron Paul's platform is based totally on using that power. Edwards can promise an end to poverty, and Giuliani can promise tax cuts for everyone, but only Paul can promise something he will actually have the power to do.