PDA

View Full Version : Get this!! I think its important

Jodi
02-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Got this from http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=233391

The candidate must have enough delegates that are mandatory state committed to him before brokered is bypassed. Understand what that means and you will find that it is still wide open.

haaaylee
02-10-2008, 10:13 PM
so really only the bound delegates count ??? as far as the 1191 (or whatever number it is) goes?

JordanQ72
02-10-2008, 10:15 PM
That's absolute nonsense. The first ballot in no way only counts bound delegates.

Jodi
02-10-2008, 10:55 PM
That's absolute nonsense. The first ballot in no way only counts bound delegates.

Read it again. The way I understand this is the delegates needed to get to the magic number must be bound, uncommited don't count.

Jodi
02-11-2008, 06:58 AM
bumping this

Bradley in DC
02-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Read it again. The way I understand this is the delegates needed to get to the magic number must be bound, uncommited don't count.

It doesn't matter how many times you read it, it's still wrong. You are reading correctly what was posted. The problem is that what is posted is wrong.

Ninja Homer
02-11-2008, 07:26 AM
The way I understand it is that the only delegates you know for sure are going to vote for McCain are the bound ones. The unbound delegates still count, but you don't really know how they are going to vote until it happens. I think it's safe to say that McCain won't have as many unbound delegates voting for him as MSM says he has. Even if he gets over the magic number according to MSM, say 1200, it may not be enough to seal the deal at the national convention.

However, if he hits the magic number in bound delegates alone, it's all over. Then there's no chance in hell of a brokered convention. As long as McCain has not reached the magic number in bound delegates, there is still opportunity to change unbound delegates minds, and there is still hope for a brokered convention.

In states that have already chosen delegates and have unbound delegates, there should be a huge push in turning those delegates. There should also be a big push in states where Romney had bound delegates that are now unbound, so they don't flip to supporting McCain.

Bradley in DC
02-11-2008, 07:35 AM
The way I understand it is that the only delegates you know for sure are going to vote for McCain are the bound ones. The unbound delegates still count, but you don't really know how they are going to vote until it happens. I think it's safe to say that McCain won't have as many unbound delegates voting for him as MSM says he has. Even if he gets over the magic number according to MSM, say 1200, it may not be enough to seal the deal at the national convention.

However, if he hits the magic number in bound delegates alone, it's all over. Then there's no chance in hell of a brokered convention. As long as McCain has not reached the magic number in bound delegates, there is still opportunity to change unbound delegates minds, and there is still hope for a brokered convention.

In states that have already chosen delegates and have unbound delegates, there should be a huge push in turning those delegates. There should also be a big push in states where Romney had bound delegates that are now unbound, so they don't flip to supporting McCain.

Pretty much right with the clear understanding that unbound delegates for candidates count the same as bound ones do. Because of state election laws, many delegates are nominally unbound or ex officio unbound but can still pledge themselves to a candidate (which accounts for some of the discrepancies in the different vote counts by analysts). The important to understand about a possible brokered convention (which would be many months away) is that all of the delegate votes count, bound and unbound, on the first and every ballot.

bulloncoins
02-11-2008, 07:35 AM
There should also be a big push in states where Romney had bound delegates that are now unbound, so they don't flip to supporting McCain.

Romney only suspended his run. He is holding on to his delegates. He did not drop out, there is a difference.

kyleAF
02-11-2008, 07:42 AM

Yes, exactly. Every convention is a brokered convention. There is no nominee UNTIL the votes are cast by the delegates. If a majority of votes are not cast for McCain on the first round, he DOES NOT WIN.

Those who are unbound do not have to vote for him on the first round. 1191 is only a magic number DURING the convention voting.

Ninja Homer
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Romney only suspended his run. He is holding on to his delegates. He did not drop out, there is a difference.

Yes, but different states have different rules for bound delegates when a candidate suspends their campaign. For instance, here's how Michigan works:

http://www.migop.org/default.asp

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON MICHIGAN'S REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION DELEGATION

To: Interested Parties
CC: Saulius "Saul" Anuzis, Chairman
Date: February 7, 2008
Re: Clarification of Michigan's Republican National Convention delegate allocation

As you are most likely aware, Governor Mitt Romney today suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination for president of the United States. Governor Romney was allocated 45 of Michigan's 60 delegates to the Republican National Convention as a result of winning 13 of Michigan's 15 congressional districts and receiving 40% of the total statewide vote in Michigan's January 15, 2008 Presidential Primary Election.

In accordance with Rule 19E(2) of the Republican Party of Michigan Rules for Selection of Delegates and Alternates to the 2008 Republican County, State and National Conventions, the 45 delegates that were previously allocated to Governor Romney will now be deemed "uncommitted" delegates and are therefore not bound to support any particular candidate at the 2008 Republican National Convention. Pursuant to the Rules, the Credentials Committee of the Michigan Republican Party will today submit notification to Governor Romney's campaign informing them of this action. Governor Romney has the right to appeal the Credentials Committee's determination within five days, but it is our understanding from the Romney campaign that he has no intention to do so.

Individuals residing in any congressional district previously committed to Governor Romney who wish to seek election as a congressional district delegate or alternate to the Republican National Convention, or individuals seeking election as an at-large delegate or alternate for one of the six positions to which Governor Romney was previously allocated should file a presidential preference form (as required by Rule 7) indicating they seek election as an uncommitted delegate or alternate.

No actions taken today have any impact at all on the delegates previously allocated to Senator McCain or Governor Huckabee. The updated Michigan delegate allocation is as follows:
Uncommitted 45
McCain 10
Huckabee 2
RNC Members 3*

*Michigan's Republican National Committee Members (State Chairman, National Committeeman and National Committeewoman) are automatic delegates to the National Convention and are not bound to support any particular candidate.

So because Romney suspended his campaign, there are now 45 unbound delegate positions that should be heavily pursued in Michigan.

teshuah
02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
i understood her quote as meaning: Hey, let's look at the states where there are bound delegates that have voted right now. Then, let's add those up according to which bound delegates go to McCain right now, then we have the accurate assessment of how many delegates McCain really has right now.

Ninja Homer
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Hold on... the info on Michigan I copied from migop.org above can't be right. Michigan was penalized for moving up their primary, so they only had 30 total delegates available instead of 60. I think there are now 20 delegate positions available that used to belong to Romney.

speciallyblend
02-11-2008, 11:15 AM
PLEASE SIGN ASAP

SIGN PETITION http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/notogop/

bump this and these threads

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=113637
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=118219

please sign this petition and add to this thread if op can,thanks

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/notogop/